Interview: Martin Gritton

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Interview: Martin Gritton

Post by Louis »

Interview originally featured in Highway to Hele Issue 1 (August 2014)

Current issues & 2015/2016 subscription available from www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

It’s often said (alright, said once by my Dad) that in the lower leagues, you need a reliable goalkeeper and a striker who’ll score you goals. In 2004, when little old Torquay reached the dizzy heights of League One under Leroy Rosenior, we had Jo Kuffour, David Graham and Martin Gritton fighting for places up front. Sort of puts last season’s misfiring crew to shame, doesn’t it? Gritts came to us from Plymouth and proceeded to finish as top scorer in his first season as a Gull. He later rejoined on loan under Paul Buckle, but his game time was minimal. He was more than happy to answer a few questions and if I’m honest, has been tremendously encouraging of the whole project, so thanks Martin!

--

Hi Martin. Thanks for answering these questions. What are you up to currently?

Working for a sports PR company in London.

In your first spell at Torquay United, you were part of a very successful side. What (or who) do you think were the key components of that side’s success? What would you say are the most important ingredients for a successful team in general?

When I joined, it was the remnants of Roy Mac’s squad, with some loan additions from Leroy. I think Roy deserves credit, as most of the lads agreed he signed some top players, and brought some others through. For me Alex Russell, Jason Fowler, David Graham (I know not all his signings, but still...) were three of the best players I ever played with. Add guys that were just great players that came through like Kevin hill and Tony Bedeau... it was a great dressing room to be part of.

That spell at Torquay was one of your most prolific in front of goal. You notched 22 goals in 88 games for the club. Was there anything on a personal level that worked for you during your time at Plainmoor, more so than at any other club? Is it true that sometimes it just works for players at one club and not at another?

I think if you look at the amount of goals Alex Russell created for me and Davey G, plus Leroy never really used me as a target man, just a striker. Davey usually caused havoc which gave me space. Plus confidence- I remember a chat with Leroy night before away game, Carlisle I think it was. He was very supportive, told me to relax, gave me that boost he knew I needed even if not everyone was quite as patient! Scored 12 in about as many games after that and then felt more established. Plus it was easier because our squad was so thin at the time.

What made you come back to the club on loan in 2010, and how do you view that second spell in the wider scheme of things?

I enjoyed being back, It was a young squad and they had achieved a lot together. I think I was unlucky initially to get injured and find myself out of the team, but credit to the guys that were playing as we were off to a flyer that season. Buckle was interesting, he was an intense guy and squeezed every drop out of the lads. It was full on. He was fair with me but he could be quite knee jerk in his decision making, Once he’d made his mind up about something there was no going back. Which was a shame as it unsettled the dressing room at times. Was great to be back with some old faces though, Damo (physio) has always been a good mate, Kev Nico and Mansell were great lads to get to know. There was a good buzz about the place. And of course we had a Branno. That always added value!

MartinGritton[1]

Given the recent spate of homesickness in last year’s TUFC squad, and several previous managers’ insistence that it is difficult to attract decent players to the club, what attracted you to the area and how did you adapt to living in the Bay?

In all honesty I don’t know much about that. It’s a shame if that was the case, an added problem- usually squads have enough strangers they get together and look after each other. It can be tough for young guys, the opportunity to play football for a living always seemed to help me put other things to the back of my mind. It can be a viscous circle if results are not going well, players want to join a team that’s in good form, it is tough for managers. Money is usually the bottom line though.

As someone seen as a robust ‘Number 9’, what do you see as the future of the role following their rare use at top level matches now, with many teams preferring to have a more prominent Number 10 or even play without a traditional centre forward altogether?

It’s horses for courses still, if you’re good enough it doesn’t matter on size. Bayo Akinfenwa is still knocking centre halves about, I don’t think too many defenders would want to line up against Andy Carroll. One central striker with two wide attackers seems to suit a lot of teams, it really does depend on what’s available though.

Who did you enjoy playing alongside the most in a striking pair (at any club)? And conversely, were there any defenders that you hated coming up against?

Davey G was obviously a great strike partner. Michael Reddy at Grimsby was a fantastic player, as was Jack Lester at chesterfield. I played second fiddle to some great players! I had a particular dislike of Justin Whittle at Hull.. only to sign for Grimsby and then realise he had signed for them so had to play against him most days in training. I thought he was being an arsehole all those times he used to smash me in matches, turns out he was just the clumsiest man that has ever walked the planet. And I know Guy Branston.

You competed in a few different leagues across your career, and even had a spell at Shelbourne in Ireland. Aside from the obvious coverage and cashflow benefits, what did you find were the main difference between the leagues?

Not much between L1 and 2, top teams in league 1 have great resources and therefore usually the best strikers. That quality is a big difference. Ireland was a strange experience, you’d have 10k fans in a stadium against Bohemians then a man and his dog away at Drogheda. Conference was a tough league because it was so inconsistent. The top teams have the best budgets, granted but even then if you win that league you have really earned it!

Did you have any role models at any of the clubs you were at, and did you offer any advice to younger players?

My first pro dressing room at Plymouth was full of proper men. Some nasty bastards in that team that taught me a lot. Old pro’s like Sean McCarthy and Mickey Heathcote, plus great characters like Paul McGregor and Chris Hargreaves! Ironically it’s not always the old ones that teach you everything, I had great mates in Ian Stonebridge and Kevin Wills that were both fantastic players, and coming out of Uni and having mates like that made things easier in the dressing room. We did a lot of double sessions so learning more having not done a YT with them in the afternoon really helped me as a player.

Many of your contracts in the latter stages of your footballing career were short term deals. Are there any advantages at all for the player in those circumstances, and did you find it hard to cope with the uncertainty and frustration that kind of arrangement inevitably brings?

Unfortunately the turnover of managers usually led to short term deals, new managers come in because something wasn’t working before. If something isn’t working it probably because you are losing games, therefore strikers are the first thing to get changed. I’d really have loved to stay at a club for longer, particularly Torquay. I was offered a good contract by Grimsby and it was right for me at the time. I don’t regret it, but there is certainly something to be said for being settled. I’ve made a lot of good friends and had some great experiences along the way, seen some great players have to retire through injury before their time so I count myself lucky.

A lot of footballers quit at a high level rather than carry on into the lower leagues. Do you feel like it takes a different kind of attitude to be a success in the lower leagues? How do you think some of the top players would fare if they had to play in League Two?

If you don’t fancy it, it will come out in the way you play. How would you want to be remembered? Some of these guys have had amazing careers and want to be remembered for that. For some it’s in their blood and they’ll play till they can’t do it anymore.

It’s frequently discussed that there are a lot of problems facing modern football. A lot of these are wider issues – wealth distribution, abuse of power, corruption, etc. What do you feel were the biggest challenges facing you as a player, and is this different now do you think?

Football as a business model is broken. You can’t expect teams to compete on the same level, but all clubs will do everything they can to achieve success. It causes them to live beyond their means, the competition and chance to reap the rewards at the top level can fool people into thinking this is hat they should do. If it was a business in the street you’d run a mile rather than put your money in a football club, the passion and power trip can be a big draw though. Shame that financial fair play seems to keep the status quo, it will be harder for a team to move up the league under current rules.

Our recently departed former captain Lee Mansell had some trouble with abuse on Twitter last year, I know you use the site quite a bit, do you ever experience any trouble and how best can sportsmen handle the interaction, in your opinion?

It’s not something that you should go on when emotions are high, and people can be needlessly offensive on it. It’s a shame, but don’t feed the trolls is a pretty good rule to live by.

I’ve read in interviews that you’re a big music fan. Do you get to go to many gigs now you’re living in London? What have been some records you’ve enjoyed recently?

Yes! Far too many gigs. My older brother and sister are probably responsible, both musicians and a great diverse taste in music. One of favourites at the moment are The War On Drugs, saw them at Glastonbury. I’d recommend a listen. BBC 6 music is a one stop shop for me, big fan of that station. Probably find most of my recent favourites on their playlist, plus Iggy Pop and Huey Morgan have shows on there, worth a listen if you haven’t already.

Have you found it difficult to adjust to life after professional football, following your retirement in 2012?

I was fortunate enough to finish at 35, with no long term injury and can enjoy my football recreationally and work hard towards another career. I’ve always enjoyed sport in the media and get to work with that now. It’s hard to adjust but I think you can certainly prepare. I do feel sorry for some guys that have to cut it short early and are out on a limb. The PFA helps, but it’s the what if’s and what could’ve beens that can be hard to forget.

What are your plans for the future? Would you consider management or coaching? You once talked about media work, is that something you have pursued?

Well PR and working with sports brands, events, journalists is all part of my work at the moment. I enjoy that. The levels of coaching are now such a full time effort that I kind of missed the boat on that, more through choice than not. I’m in touch with friends that have gone down that route, and have my fingers crossed for them. It’s as tough and competitive a market as playing was, but i’m sure it’s pretty rewarding.

Is there anything you’d have done differently in your career?

I’d have bought a warmer coat for when I moved to Grimsby. Apart from that? Nope.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest