Q&A: Alex Russell (2014)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Q&A: Alex Russell (2014)

Post by Louis »

(Recovered from old main site)

Nick from TorquayFans.com contacted Alex Russell with your questions that you put up on our forum and here are his answers, enjoy...

1. What was your favourite TUFC goal and moment? And also, what was your best career goal?

I think I scored an over head kick at Plainmoor against Tranmere which was pretty special and the week later I scored a volley at Peterborough which I couldn't have hit any sweeter. The best moment was obviously the game at Southend but I also have a very fond memory of beating Hull City at the KC Stadium when we totally out played them and won with a Martin Gritton goal, even though we should have won by more. That game was probably the best performances by the team.

2. It's coming up to a year since you announced your retirement from playing. In recent times you have been linked to the Torquay job twice. Do you have plans to stay in the game or no?

Yes I have stayed in the game. I coached Bristol City U21's team and have been coaching the U18's this season. So one day I might be back down if the timing is right and the club are impressed enough with my CV.

3. At the Southend game, how aware were the players of what was happening in the Cheltenham/Huddersfield game, and what were the last few minutes like knowing that if we held onto the lead, we would be up?

I remember at half time knowing their score and then during the second half hearing our supporters cheer when Shane Duff (who is now a close friend) scored for Cheltenham. But it was only with about 2 minutes to go when David Woozley was coming on and he said their game was over that the real panic set in. Because it was the first time that our own destiny was in our own hands. They where the longest 2 minutes in my career!

4. The football under Leroy Rosenior was really special. Was it as enjoyable to play in as it was to watch?

Playing in that team was so good to be involved in. I still don't know how we got so many good players all the way down to little old Torquay. I am still very proud to play with those guys and to be involved in such a special era. I think the way we played pleased me the most because it was total football and everyone bought into it.

5. What was training like under Leroy?

Training under Leroy was great. It was never complicated, we didn't do much shape. We played a lot of high intensity small sided games that had an edge, so we where always competing. Remember Leroy did it all on his own! It was unbelievable really. Now I am on the other side I appreciate how much work he must have done for us.

6. Having played such fantastic football under him, are you surprised that Leroy didn't go on to have further managerial success?

I am a little surprised he didn't stay in the game in some capacity but that job probably wore him out! ha. I think he found the media and realised he enjoyed that so why have the day to day stress of a manager!

7. How good do you think Jason Fowler could have been had he not suffered such injury problems?

I was lucky enough to play against Jason when he was at the top of his game before he had his illness and arrived at Torquay. He played for Cardiff against my Cambridge side, he was the only player that Roy McFarland warned us about before the game in all that season. That shows how good a player he was then, because Roy wouldn't say that about anyone!
Jason was just so easy to play with, he had a great football brain, always new where space was and just had the best touch. He used to get me out of tight situations with a quick one two or just by creating a yard of space so I could find him with the ball. But he is not as good on the golf course!

8. Who were your best mates in the dressing room that season, and are you still in touch with any of them?

I have to say that I was great pals with Martin Gritton as he lived with me during this spell. I am still really good friends with most of the team, David Woozley comes out on my birthday every year, I speak to Chris Brandon every week as we stayed close after he moved to Chesterfield, Joe Kuffour was up in Bristol when I moved here, Woodsey, Kevin Dearden,Kevin Hill, Lee Canoville, Reuben Hazel, Tony Beddeau I still speak to.
You have to remember we all lived in Torquay and we all went out together for 4 years so we had a great bond.

9. How disappointed were you to miss out on promotion in Leroy's first season in charge, and did that give you more incentive to do it next time around?

I was really disappointed after we had scored so many goals and I think had been very entertaining, but yes it definitely focused our mind and made us more determined the following year. A couple of key signings, Brian McGlinchy and Craig Taylor made a big difference.

10. Who (other than yourself) was the first name on the team sheet that season?

Davey Graham with out a doubt, he was the reason we went up. It didn't matter how the rest of us played with out his goals we would have been mid table. Thats just fact.

11. Was there a point during the 03/04 season where the squad thought "This is our season"?

I remember winning big games in the last couple of months at places like Shrewsbury and I just think we had this belief that we could always score more than the opposition, especially if we had Davey, Kuffs and Gritts in the team. But honestly the only time we could think 'This is our season" was the last 2 minutes at Southend! haha
Even though all season we did think we where good enough to go up and also that we where better on our day than any other team in the league.

12. How disappointing was it to get relegated from League One at Colchester on the final day, especially after the excellent run of form beforehand?

That day at Colchester still haunts me. After the run we had been on and the effort we had all put in to be in a position where a draw would keep us up, it was such a disappointment especially with MK Dons scoring so late in their game. On a personnel note I missed a chance at 0-0 which I still think about to this day. Their goalkeeper through one out to his fullback but I had read it and got there before the defender and with the goalkeeper out of his goal I hit it first time with my left foot, if only I had controlled it I might have scored and everything might have been different but instead I missed by a yard and the rest is history!

13. Do you still have the match ball from your hat-trick at Darlington?

Yes I certainly do. I was never giving that away as it was the only one I ever got.

14. You were a really reliable penalty taker for a long time, and then you had a succession of misses. Did you change your technique or were you just unfortunate?

Well I scored 10 on the bounce until I slipped and missed my first one, then I tried the chip down the middle at Lincoln which I am sure we all remember. Then in a pre season game against Fulham Edwin Van Der Sar saved a really good penalty I took and all of a sudden I was under a little pressure. I then changed my technique for a pen against Swindon in another pre season game and missed again and that was me off them. I never missed again when I took them at Bristol City. It was a bit of bad luck and over confidence.

15. I think when you have a player so adored by supporters of a club, fans can assume that the fondness is mutual. Seeing as you played quite a few games for Rochdale/Cambridge etc, was Torquay your most special time as a player?

I was very fortunate to play a big part in 3 promotions. Those 3 promotion seasons and teams always give you the best memories. But for length of time, effort and pure enjoyment of playing total football at such a small under funded, family club will always hold a very special place in my heart. When I played for Torquay I loved it when we beat the big teams and showed that we where a team to be reckoned with. I think Torquay was just a special time in my life.

16. Knowing how fondly you were remembered as a Torquay icon, did you have any mixed feelings when you signed for Exeter City?

I signed for Exeter because of Paul Tisdale and how he wanted to play football, it also got me out of a situation at Cheltenham. Unfortunately I didn't have lots of options and between me and you I never liked the pitch at St James Park it just wasn't home.

17. Following on from the above, do you think that sort of thing ever occurs to players when they sign for a new club?

I think because a lot of time had passed and I had come down from Bristol it wasn't such a big thing. Also if Torquay had offered me something I probably would have come back. I think the Torquay fans always knew I was always going to be Torquay through and through.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest