Q&A: Eunan O'Kane (2014)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Q&A: Eunan O'Kane (2014)

Post by Louis »

(Recovered from the old main site)

After the success of the Q&A with Alex Russell, Nick took your questions to Eunan this week. Thanks Nick, enjoy...

1. It must have been exciting to play against your Liverpool heroes in the FA Cup. What were the best parts of that day, on and off the pitch?
It was a very exciting day for me. For most people the closest they get to the players they looked up to as a kid is watch them on the TV. I appreciate how lucky I was to get to play against them. Just looking round me on the pitch and seeing the company I was in was probably the best part of the day. Even thinking about it now brings a smile to my face.

2. How would you say the standard of football in Ireland compares to the Football League? Do you think the likes of Linfield and Glentoran would be able to perform well at League Two level?

It's difficult to say really. I think the bigger teams at home such as Linfield and Glentoran could do well in League Two but I am not too sure many others could! League 2 is possible a little fast than the top league at home and there's a little more football played.

3. It took some time for you to get a regular starting place at Plainmoor. Did you have to adapt your game at all or was it a case of perseverance?

I think it took me a while because when I arrived we were in a relegation fight! It's difficult for a manager to play an unproven 19 year old in that situation. I would say I made myself a regular starter the season that followed with 50+ appearance but I didn't adapt myself too much. The only reason I was able to do that was through hard work! I went into training every day that year thinking am going to be the best player here and he won't be able to leave me out on Saturday. I learnt a lot in that year but it was more on the mental side of things rather than the way I wanted to play football!

4. What was your favourite goal in a Gulls shirt?

My favourite goal was the goal against Shrewsbury when we played them at home in the playoffs when Bucks was in charge! I worked all week with Bucks and Northy on receiving the ball in that area and getting a shot off because we felt there midfield players dropped very deep in and around there box. I get great satisfaction when you highlight a potential weakness, work on taking advantage of it and it then all comes together on the match day.

5. Remembering back to 2011/12 and the 3-1 win over Plymouth, was there an increased sense of excitement in the dressing room before the games against Argyle, or did Martin Ling try and treat them as normal games?

There was a little more excitement than normal but it hadn't come from Martin it was more from the players like Manse and Kev who had been there for quite a while! Martin was very laid back and just treated it as another game which I think every manager needs to do. I think in those situations the players themselves should know the importance of those games.

6. What crossed your mind before you hit your second goal against Plymouth at Plainmoor? Was it conscious, or was it just an instinctive effort?

It was a very conscious decision to hit it that day. Before every game I spoke to Kenny the GK coach and I would always say 'have a look at their goalkeepers position for me'. He knew why I was asking and at half time that day he came to me and said in and around the half way line he was a little far out. I had a slight glance and seen he was a little far out so I hit it and thankfully that day it went in. Kenny is the man to give the credit to that day.

7. You seemed to thrive under Martin Ling’s management – was this a case of him playing you in a more-favoured role or were there any other factors that caused you to play so well?

I did very well under Martin and he has to take all the credit for that. He said numerous times that I reminded him of himself and I think he knew what I needed to hear to get the best from me! He used to say to me 'just do what you do'. I felt no pressure at all under him and I knew that I could try things even if they didn't come off he would encourage me to try again. As a player I couldn't ask for better circumstances to work under.

8. Would you say there was a lot of difference between the management styles of Martin Ling and Paul Buckle?

Lingy and Bucks were polar opposites. Bucks wanted to be involved in everything. He did as much as he could to make sure that no stone was left unturned. Lingy was very laid back. He gave more freedom to the lads. He made it clear what he expected and left it to us to carry it out. The thing I learnt when I consider their two management styles is that there is always more than one way of doing things. There is no right and wrong it's just finding which way suits you best.

9. During the incredible run from November 2011 until March, did the players believe that we were going up?

It wasn't really talked about if an honest. Everyone knew what position we were in and what that could mean for everyone involved. It however was always a case of just keep winning games and see where we are in April.

10. Do you think all players can play well in a traditional British 4-4-2, or do you think certain ‘flair’ players need a different role and formation to perform to their best?

I think everyone is taught to play in a 442 when they're growing up and therefore know what is required. I don't like the term 'flair' player because it makes out that player is a little erratic! A flash in the pan almost. In my opinion these are the most important players in most teams. If that players need someone along side him to do the things he isn't very good at then get someone to compliment him. I think Manse and myself is the best example you will get. I need someone to help me with the dirty side of the game which Manse did. He then got his rewards by scoring 10 goals a few seasons later! Flair players may look silly when things don't come off but if you let them develop and make mistakes, when the things that once made them look silly start to come off then all the laughs will have been worth it.

11. Obviously the step up to Championship level hasn’t fazed you and Bournemouth fans seem to have taken to you. How close were you to moving on in January, or was that just paper-talk?

If am honest with you I have no idea. There was a lot of talk in the paper but I can't tell you if there was any weight behind it. As far as I was concerned until the manager told me there was a bid accepted there was nothing for me to concern myself with.

12. Since leaving TUFC, you’ve played at League One and Championship level – would you say there was a large gap in quality between the three divisions (Champ, L1, L2) and were there any moments where you’d thought you’d made a mistake?

Each division gets a little faster and more demanding mentally! There would be a large gap in quality for example between the top of league 2 and the top of league one. Which is why it's takes a lot of investment to climb the leagues I suppose.

13. Finally, what do you hope to achieve in the future? Are there goals you have set yourselves on the domestic and international stage?

I haven't set myself any goals to achieve. All I ask of myself is to keep working hard and keep improving myself. I have signed a new deal with Bournemouth yesterday and I hope at some point in the future I will represent the ROI and hopefully play in the prem but there a lot of hard work needed between now and achieving those things!
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest