IN THE HISTORY BOOKS: Torquay 4-0 AFC Wimbledon - 25th October 2011

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

IN THE HISTORY BOOKS: Torquay 4-0 AFC Wimbledon - 25th October 2011

Post by Louis »

As we build up to Saturdays season-opener at Plainmoor, I'm going to look back to one of the previous meetings between the two sides. There haven't been many, 5 in total, but there are some good and bad memories from our encounters with AFC Wimbledon. This one that I've chosen was our second meeting, but our first ever league clash. Just two years ago, we welcomed Wimbledon to Plainmoor on a Tuesday night. We were struggling while they weren't doing a lot better. This match proved to be a catalyst for a remarkable run of form, which eventually saw us in the playoffs, having missed out on automatic promotion on the final day.

The TUFC line up for this match was as follows; Bobby Olejnik, Joe Oastler, Brian Saah, Mark Ellis, Kevin Nicholson, Damon Lathrope, Lee Mansell, Eunan O'Kane, Danny Stevens, Billy Bodin, Rene Howe. Subs; Martin Rice, Dan Leadbitter, Chris McPhee, Saul Halpin, Taiwo Atieno.

It took a blistering spell in the 15 minutes before half time to seal the match, as United hit the net three times. Danny Stevens opened the scoring, before Eunan O'Kane and Rene Howe scored in the 43rd and 45th minutes. Howe scored a fourth 10 minutes after the break to seal a memorable win for Martin Ling's side, which had come after a horrible run of results. I still remember this match as the one which kickstarted our season.

A similar result on Saturday would be an excellent start...
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest