Gerring signs - 1 year deal

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Gerring signs - 1 year deal

Post by northlondongull »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36279197

Will be good as third choice cover in my opinion and hopefully Nicho can get more out of him. I am not sure if he has been a full time pro in recent years so hopefully he will come on leaps and bounds with focussed training every day.
DaveJB

Post by DaveJB »

Ben Gerring signs one year deal. I think he's more than capable of playing at this level and is a good back up option for Gus and if we sign another starting CB.

He has had some moments that have made me question whether he was good enough but I think he's grown as the season has progressed. Will be interesting to see how he plays over a full season and with a full preseason under his belt

Admin edit: Merged Duplicate Topic (Y4L)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Decent enough back up, particularly when playing against a target man. Note how he completely had Parkin in his pocket both times we played FGR. Also fits the cost effectiveness bill, so I agree it's a no brainer all round.

Also sounded like he was a popular guy in the dressing room and a big part of the team spirit
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Jeff wrote:Also sounded like he was a popular guy in the dressing room and a big part of the team spirit
This is the only reason I'm ok with this signing. It's clear Nico puts a great emphasis on spirit and desire so if he's proved he's got the character then great; but he really is a seriously limited footballer. Yes I know our position, yes I know he's probably cheap, but I wouldn't want him starting games like he was at the back end of the season.
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

I've been a detractor of his, but he impressed me in the last few games of the season. And I agree that he seems like a big part of our team spirit. I'm pleased with this news.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Good signing in my opinion. I think he's done fine when called upon and a full pre season should improve his fitness.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I think this is a good signing overall. He's not the best footballer, but has shown he can fill in when needed without looking too out of place, and with a small budget it's a good way to free up resources for the first XI. He was playing in the Conference South before joining us, so it's not like he's suddenly stepped up from Watcombe. At 25 he's not too old to improve either, especially for a defender that doesn't rely on pace, so with a full pre-season in the gym under Nicho and full time training, he should be a reasonable back-up for us. And as said above, having some good characters in the dressing room, and some players who done other things and appreciate that earning a living from football is a pretty good lifestyle, is never a bad thing.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats