New Owners

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

New Owners

Post by MF68 »

Is anyone any wiser about when the new owners are taking over?........seems to have gone quiet.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Talks between Igl and Torbay council delaying the process. Nothing to do with new board and current board.
To the dotted line, We're on our way
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Negotiations regarding the deal and location of the new stadium, as far as I know!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Interesting. On 5th May I posted on the thread " Announcement this Week" that I suspected that the delay was due to Gaming International being in talks with Torbay Council.

This was pure speculation on my part.

However Torbay Council have a truly shocking reputation when it comes to being businesslike and sensible.They do not live in the real world and will probably think they can take 12 months to negotiate a deal.

Gaming International have my deepest sympathy. Good luck they will need it. Truly hope I am wrong.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

DJ Gull wrote:Talks between Igl and Torbay council delaying the process. Nothing to do with new board and current board.
Based upon?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Suppose that the council piss off Gaming International and they throw their toys out of the pram and walk away. How are the club supposed to meet the costs of commitments already made, such as the cheap season tickets, Nico's contract, the retained players' contracts, not to mention the drainage problem. What I am trying to say have the club counted their chickens before they hatched? By the way who are IGL.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I hope the Council do take their time. To the Council this is more than a football club, and not all developments are in the interest of the wider public. If I was a Torbay council tax payer I would not want the council to grant any planning due to pressure from developers. They should consider all aspects of whatever GI propose, and yes this might take time.

If the current board has made commitments that THEY cannot fulfill they are fools, BUT I doubt this is the case and just speculation on here.
TUST MEMBER
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Plainmoor78 wrote:Suppose that the council piss off Gaming International and they throw their toys out of the pram and walk away. How are the club supposed to meet the costs of commitments already made, such as the cheap season tickets, Nico's contract, the retained players' contracts, not to mention the drainage problem. What I am trying to say have the club counted their chickens before they hatched? By the way who are IGL.
I would hazard a guess as being "international gaming limited "
Lucy
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

I suspect that one of the reasons for the delay in the takeover was that IG would have been waiting to find out the result of the mayoral referendum vote in Torbay. The voters of Torbay have decided that they don't want an elected Mayor and the post will disappear in 3 years time. In the meantime Mayor Gordon Oliver wiould be foolish to take executive decisions without the support of the Council because his authority to do so would be thoroughly scrutinised especially by Lib Dem Councillors, some of whom are keen United Supporters. He will be treading water for the next three years because the role of Mayor has effectively become impotent overnight.
I can't now see a quick decision being taken on a new stadium.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Jack wrote:I suspect that one of the reasons for the delay in the takeover was that IG would have been waiting to find out the result of the mayoral referendum vote in Torbay. The voters of Torbay have decided that they don't want an elected Mayor and the post will disappear in 3 years time. In the meantime Mayor Gordon Oliver wiould be foolish to take executive decisions without the support of the Council because his authority to do so would be thoroughly scrutinised especially by Lib Dem Councillors, some of whom are keen United Supporters. He will be treading water for the next three years because the role of Mayor has effectively become impotent overnight.
I can't now see a quick decision being taken on a new stadium.
What you say makes a lot sense. The problem now is the whole deal may be at risk because GI now has to try and sweet talk the lib dems who I would imagine are not as gullible as Oliver.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Spud wrote:Once the new owners have extracted their profit from any property deal, surely they will just dump Torquay United. There is no profit to be made from running the club, as Mike Bateson would testify
If they've moved us to a new stadium with ancillary revenue streams, have sold all the houses they've built (or whatever) then who cares if they dump us? Imagine this - a new stadium capable of generating revenue seven days a week, bought out by TUST. Sounds perfect to me.

Just because they will dump us when they make their money doesn't mean they will rip us off when they're here. And who knows exactly how they are going to make their money, there may be reasons for them to keep the football club.

Bottom line is this - i do not care if gaming international make money as long as they at the same time move the football club forward. Yes, they could come in and max out the overdraft and disappear into the sunset, but the amount of money they will make from running into the ground pales into insignificance compared to the amount of profit they could turn from a mutually beneficial land deal.

It could all go wrong, of course it could, but t could also go very right. The potential benefits to the club are such that I believe it is certainly worth waiting to here what they want to do before I start to slag them off, spread rumour, or have a mild paddy.
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Kit_robin wrote: If they've moved us to a new stadium with ancillary revenue streams, have sold all the houses they've built (or whatever) then who cares if they dump us? Imagine this - a new stadium capable of generating revenue seven days a week, bought out by TUST. Sounds perfect to me.

Just because they will dump us when they make their money doesn't mean they will rip us off when they're here. And who knows exactly how they are going to make their money, there may be reasons for them to keep the football club.

Bottom line is this - i do not care if gaming international make money as long as they at the same time move the football club forward. Yes, they could come in and max out the overdraft and disappear into the sunset, but the amount of money they will make from running into the ground pales into insignificance compared to the amount of profit they could turn from a mutually beneficial land deal.

It could all go wrong, of course it could, but t could also go very right. The potential benefits to the club are such that I believe it is certainly worth waiting to here what they want to do before I start to slag them off, spread rumour, or have a mild paddy.
:goodpost:
Lucy
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

My view is well documented and lets face it none of us know until some kind of statement is made, then we have the choice to believe it or not.

I cannot see any good reason for them wanting to run a football club, but maybe they are all fanatic Torquay Fans, we can hope. The problem is do you really think they will leave us with any "profitable revenue streams", more like we will be in hock to an expensive lease. But you maybe right, but my guess is your not, and we will be left in a worse state with less money.
TUST MEMBER