Interview: Steve Tully

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Interview: Steve Tully

Post by Louis »

This interview was conducted in late Summer 2015, and features in Issue 7 of Highway to Hele and is being posted here as I am moving content from our old main site onto the forum.

You can find current & back issues of the fanzine, as well as part-subscriptions and other merchandise, at the online store: www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com.

-

Firstly, congratulations on promotion with Truro City. How are you looking forward to the National League South? Will you prepare for games in the same manner, or will you alter your approach?

I think whenever you get promoted you want to try keep that continuity, but still and try push the lads even more and add new fresh ideas. Keep the lads on their toes.

How do you feel you’ve progressed as a manager in your first year in the job? What qualities have you brought to the role from your days as a player, and in what ways have you changed or surprised yourself?

I’ve always wanted to be a manager. A  firm but fair one, and I think what I bring best to the table is honesty and man management. As a player, I always wanted to know why I wasn’t playing. I needed a reason and I’ve done that [for my players] since I’ve taken over, they might not like it but it’s honest.

You’ll no doubt be aware of the complications at TUFC over the summer with regard to the ownership situation. Truro chairman Peter Masters was linked with buying the Gulls. I’ve read various comments you’ve made about how good your relationship is with him. Were you worried he might move on?

Of course, he’s my first chairman and myself and Wayne have a great relationship with him. He pushes us all the time, and we love that. Even when we’re doing well, he wants more and that breeds confidence. He’s backed us when we’ve asked him to, without going over the top, always making sure the club is run smoothly.

There was also talk of a groundshare between the two clubs. What input do you have in discussions of that nature, and how would you have reacted if the deal had been done?

None at all. I think it’s best we stayed at Truro - we’re Cornwall’s biggest club and they need us there. I think the chairman just made sure he had options, which is great.

It seems like you’ve worked hard to use existing personal connections and establish good relationships with other local clubs (taking players on loan, etc). How important has that been to your success so far?

Massive. I think where we are based, you need those local connections to help boost the squad now and again,  and if you look after your loan players you then get a reputation that helps both clubs and players all round.

When you started at Torquay way back in 1997, you were a part of the squad that made it to the Division Three Playoff Final at Wembley. Although you didn’t feature in that game, do you remember the occasion at all?

It was a great day all round. I was  a 2nd year YTS. Myself and Leon Hapgood travelled with the squad, and were allowed to warm up at Wembley. It was amazing to be a part of. To lose was devastating, but it’s a day I will never forget.

What was it about the squad that year that made promotion seem within our grasp?

The spirit in the camp was amazing. They made us youngsters feel so welcome, but on the pitch we were a tough team. Hard to break down but also you’d always fancy us to score.

What are your fondest memories of your time at Plainmoor, and do you keep in touch with any of your old teammates?

Making my league debut - Barnet away, we drew 3-3. My first ever League goal at home against Leyton Orient - a diving header, and making over 100 apps for my hometown club.

I was reading an article recently in which I discovered you were one of the lucky few to play alongside Chris Waddle in Torquay colours. What do you remember of his brief & mysterious time at Plainmoor?

He was great to play alongside. Even at his age he was technically brilliant, but the best player I played with at Torquay was Neville Southall. A legend. Myself being a Evertionian, it was immense and he gave me so much. A great person off the pitch too.

After leaving Plainmoor, you signed a contract for Weymouth. Firstly, what the circumstances of your departure, and how did you find life at Weymouth compared to Torquay?

It was a wake up call. Firstly, I was devastated to be released by Torquay. After the collapse of ITV Digital, everyone was tightening their belts and I was a casualty. When you go part time, you’ve got to adjust to training twice a week for games. It was really hard.

Did you believe at that point that you would make it back to League football, either with Weymouth or somewhere else?

No. You always hope you get another chance. I just had to keep playing to the best of my ability and hope.

You moved around a little bit between various clubs in the South West, particularly Weymouth & Exeter. Did you ever experience much negativity from fickle fans? How did you deal with it?

I never did. I was very lucky, I always had a great rapport with all the fans and was well appreciated at all of my clubs. Great memories and great times at all.

What were the circumstances that led to your unusual sequence of moves, from Weymouth to Exeter, then back to Weymouth, and then finally back to Exeter again?

It was a crazy time. The last time, Weymouth were flying in the Conference and we were off on holiday for few days (as we were out of the FA Cup). We got called into a meeting at the ground and got told the club was going bust, they could pay off this month but not next and if you could find a club you could go. We were gobsmacked. One minute we’re going on holiday, the next made redundant. Crazy. I rang Paul Buckle who I was good friends with. Exeter set up a meeting with Paul Tisdale the following day, and the rest is history.

As someone who has spent the majority of his career playing football in the South West of England, what is it about this part of the world that obviously draws you to stay here?

It’s a great place to be. I met my wife here, my kids love it and are settled in school, both our families are here. You can’t beat the English Riviera.

You came back to Torquay briefly in 2014 to work with the Youth department. How did that opportunity come about and what did you learn from that brief spell?

Geoff Harrop rang me and said there was a position as Head Coach for the youth development phase, and would I like it. I was just qualified as UEFA B coach, this was the next best thing to do and I was very grateful for the opportunity. I loved every minute of it.

At that time, had the club changed much since your days as a player?

Massively. The new stand, new training ground, it was a great place to work and I thought with the right backing the club was only going to go in one direction.

Did you find it difficult to balance coaching at both Torquay and the Exeter City Ladies team with your playing commitments at Truro?

No I left coaching at Exeter Ladies as it was too much. I wanted to spend more time with my wife and kids.

You briefly played with former Torquay manager Paul Buckle at Weymouth and worked with him again at Exeter. What did you make of his coaching and leadership qualities, and are you surprised at the way his career has gone since his successful spell with Torquay?

Bucks is a top man and a great coach. I always knew he would be a good manager. He had that arrogance that I loved, and we are still good friends.

You’ve got another former Gull, Wayne Carlisle, working with you at Truro now. What does he bring to the the Assistant Manager role, and do you think he has what it takes to move into management himself one day?

Wayno is a top coach. He gets the best out of the players, and has a really good manner (probably the Irish in him). We combine really well as good cop/bad cop, but the biggest thing I like in Wayne is he’s genuine. You get what you see. My best signing by far.

Away from football, what other interests do you have?

I love to play Golf. My handicap is 18. I would like it to be lower but family and kids take priority. And I wouldn’t change that for the world.

How far do you think you can take Truro – do you see them being Cornwall’s first Football League side in the near future?

You can only hope and keep doing what you’re doing. Keep pushing and see where it leaves us. The club is moving in the right direction. The future is bright for Truro, it’d be great one day to bring a team back to Plainmoor (and win of course).
Attachments
tully-300x295.jpg
tully-300x295.jpg (18.67 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest