Disabled facilities

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Just a quick update. I am off tomorrow to do the marathon which is on Saturday. I would say in total about £2000 has been raised so far not all of it coming through the crowdfunding page. The final cost of the roof is likely to be nearer £7000 instead of £10,000. The conjecture over the new ground hasn't helped things. However even if we stay at Plainmoor for another two seasons, I can't walk past those special supporters sitting out in the open in the rain when I am able to walk to my seat in the dry. Plenty more funds to collect, it will all turn out OK. All the best. Sam.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Dear All, Just to let you know I managed it. Came 53 out of 57. Took 5.39.07 hours. I was the only Brit. Some didn't finish. It was really cold and I wore my Torquay United bobble hat all the way. Didn't see any bears Tomogull but plenty of reindeer. Amazing to think a bear could outrun Usain Bolt. Slept for 14 hours straight off afterwards. Not doing another marathon. Should have more updates for you regarding the roof etc. All the best. Sam
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Well done!! Great achievement.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

That's a fantastic achievement Samuel, for a very worthy cause. Sooooo glad those pesky polar bears didn't get you !
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Well done Sam, a phenomenal achievement. I did one half marathon aged 25 and vowed never to do another run. Good luck with the remainder of the fundraising.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

wow well done Sam. i did wonder if any of the bear might be stood on a clear cool mint. was hoping you might bring one or two home with you. lol
doing a marathon is no small achievement.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Dear All, Just to let you know there will be a collection tomorrow at Plainmoor at the Argyle match for the roof. There will be several disabled people from the Hollocombe Centre assisting with the collection. The fund raising is still going on despite the uncertainty at Plainmoor. All I can tell you is, a move, if it happens will be a few years yet and further, the structure can be dismantled and located elsewhere. Up to about £2000 so far and many more pledges. Thank you. Sam.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I backed you on your run, so thanks for the update.
TUST number 080
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

An update. It wasn't helped 5 days after announcing this project that the GI talks and potential ground move project commenced. However, now things have settled down a bit I can tell you that the home section roof should be put on soon. The steels are away for powder coating (blue and yellow) and when they come back a start will be made. A crowd funding sum of £4583 is now requested. This is because the home section only is being completed first. I have had to revise the cost for each section up to £6500 because the ongoing battle with HMRC who say that VAT will have to be paid even though the equipment is solely for disabled and special needs people. The builder - Neil Palmer - has received £1879 of the £6500 cost making a total outstanding of £4621. I owe the pot £38 given to me by a Norwegian trawler captain in Spitsbergen when I did the marathon in June making the sum required £4583. Neil Palmer will continue with the build despite being owed £4583 because he is a supporter of the cause and will be happy to receive the rest as it comes in. A very generous gesture. I have set up a new crowdfunding page today but cannot get hold of them to move the photo over and confirm they will do it for another 100 days instead of the usual 30. Even if it takes me years - this will be done for both home and away ends. However, the home end is by far the most used. Get that one out of the way and then start on the away section.

I am going to write to Sam Allardyce and perhaps some Premier League players to see if they have a spare £50 they can donate. It would be a real nice gesture if they did.

I will follow this up soon to confirm details of the crowdfunding page. TUST will be the bankers and I thank them for their support on this project. I will liaise with TUOSC at some stage to see if they can help.

I will deliver - it's just taking longer than expected.

Thank you - Sam

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z4M2K432av
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

samuel wrote: I am going to write to Sam Allardyce
Ho, ho - naughty, Samuel. But I like your style ! I seem to recall that you placed a tenner on the Gulls to win promotion. Unfortunately, you won't be able to donate anything from your winnings ....... Best wishes with the crowdfunding - this is a worthy project and what a great bloke Neil Palmer must be to be willing to start the work before all the money is in. :bow:
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Dear All, Despite all the shenanigans going on, this is an update to let you know the home section of the disabled enclosure has been completed and will be ready for the FGR game on Boxing Day. A new fund raising initiative will be announced soon. Whether we stay at Plainmoor or move away - please be mindful this structure is able to be dismantled and reassembled.

With all what is going on I am posting this now to let you know there us still life in the club and that at last the disabled and special needs supporters on the home section have equal facilities to those afforded to the able bodied.

My fund raising address is crowdfunding.justgiving.com/sam-balsdon. The builder Neil Palmer has gone ahead with the construction despite not being paid in full and is waiting for more funds to be raised.

TUOSC are going to help which will much appreciated and I continue to receive support from TUST. I am not aligned to any camp or faction at Torquay United, I am purely a supporter and this project is totally down to me. If any group or supporter of Torquay United wish to help then I am obviously very grateful.

There is still a long way to go, more funds to be raised, the away section needs completing, the toilets need upgrading. It may take time but it will be done.

Attachments:

shelter.jpg

Quick Reply
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Samuel - in a week that has probably been as bad as any in the club's history, it is good to have something positive. You have battled on over the past 12 months with this project whilst the club has been in turmoil and an absolute shambles. What you have achieved for disabled fans is fantastic and I hope other fans will spend time away from GI-gate to recognise your efforts.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Well said Tomo.
Superb effort mate. I can only imagine how much work you've put in.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I've congratulated and thanked Sam elsewhere, but happy to repeat how fantastic his achievement has been to get this up and running. Amazing effort for something so very important.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Great work Samuel. :clap: :bow:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468