Disabled facilities

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Can only echo that. An awful lot of work for a very important cause, during a very hard time for the club. I've put a few quid in, and I hope all others do the same so that the target is reached.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Our club may be having bit of a tricky time but some of our most loyal supporters are those who week after week make their way to the disabled section accompanied in most cases by their helpers. Soupdragon has come up with a great idea. She is willing to knit blue and yellow blankets for the disabled supporters if people can donate the squares. The squares need to be 8" and any blue or yellow shade will do but preferably the historical blue and yellow (like Brazil). The idea is that these blankets will be given out on match days. They can be stored in the first aid room in bedding bags. Soupdragon says, ask you mums, aunties, grandma's to search their knitting baskets for any odd bundles of blue or yellow wool that may come in handy. Handing out blankets to our most precious supporters will give them parity with the directors on cold days. It may be late in the season but this is a superb and kind gesture from Soupdragon and will be of great enduring benefit to these supporters. I will be at the Fylde game and will be in front of the disabled area between 2.30pm and 2.45p. I wear a home made blue and yellow scarf and matching bobble hat where I can receive squares. Alternatively you can take them in to the reception 9 to 5 in the week and from 12 to 5 on matchdays.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Dear TorquayFans, I am trying to raise more money for the disabled who attend our matches. I have had excellent support from this forum in the past and I am hoping some of you may be interested in the latest effort. The away section still does not have a roof and the toilets are too small to allow a disabled person and their care/helper. It would be good to address these issues. The fundraising can be found here: www.gofundme.com/disabled-facilities-at-torquay-united

The roofs for these areas are portable and can be moved to a new ground if indeed that happens. This is my last marathon. In the summer I will be looking to see whether there is any funding from charities or football bodies to see whether the disabled facilities can be upgraded further. Thank you. Sam
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Dear All, Just a quick update. In 5 days the £1500 target has been achieved. I have now raised it to £2500 as the time for receiving donations expires on the date of the run, 25th April. I reckon it is 122 times around the pitch for a marathon distance. I am going to do it anti-clockwise. So far have had amazing responses and donations. With a bit of luck may be able to get the away section done in one hit. Thank you for your support. Sam
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Just to let you know I completed the 122 laps of the pitch. It took 5hrs 32 mins. My legs are killing me at the moment. The amount raised comes to £2100. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those who have contributed. This should provide a good start to get the away area done and help improve the toilets. I will find out about grants that may be available to add to the sum we have already raised. I did 72 laps anti-clockwise but the next 50 I did clockwise. The team trained on the pitch for two hours while I was doing it and they gave plenty of support. Aaron Downes went around three times with me. Had good conversations with Shaun MacDonald, Ben Wynter, Liam Davies. Really nice lads who are clearly very happy at Torquay. Congratulated Reidy on his lovely goal at Billericay. Asa Hall made me a cup of milky tea with plenty of sugar in half way through and invited me in for some pasta after their training. Haven't seen a professional team training before, very interesting, so much emphasis on attack - shooting/heading. They seem a very happy squad who get on well with each other, the enthusiasm was palpable. After all these years - an insight into the workings of my team that was new to me. So pleased for Shaun MacDonald. Invited down here last summer by Gary Owers and taken on after a trial as an understudy but has thrived and cemented his position. He hasn't been back to his home since September and is looking forward to catching up with family. A very popular member of the squad. Gary Johnstone was very chatty and interested in what I was doing. Cream crackered but it's done now, not doing any more marathons. How I love my football club.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Well done Sam. I've got a donation of £20 for you as agreed with Kingsgull for kindly giving me his tickets for Chippenham. Will get that off to you. Again, well done mate, top man.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Thank you Dave. Very kind of you. Cheers. Sam
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Donation made. Keep up the fantastic work mate.
Dave

samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Dear Gulls Fans - An update for you. Phase 1 of the disabled facilities (the home section) is now complete with everyone paid off. The figures are as follows:
Builder £480
Total cost £4408.21

A total of £815.27 was outstanding from Phase 1 and this was paid off by monies raised in the second marathon around the Plainmoor pitch. There is close to £2000 in the kitty to put towards the away section. I will give details of the complete amount of money received from the second marathon soon but altogether, about £6000 has been raised so far. I have all the figures should anyone want to see them. TUST have been very helpful in receiving all the online donations and making payments accordingly. There have been some fabulous donations and when all is done I will be lauding these lovely people in a fuller post. I am trying to get funding from a variety of sources but we are almost there. Warm blankets have been knitted for distribution during games. Again, this initiative was not from me but other caring supporters whose contribution I will fully comment upon later on. Superb team effort from you, the fans, TUST and the club.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

My attention has been drawn to a post on the official site which appeared 2 days ago commenting on the appointment of Jo Harris as the Disability Liaison Officer at Plainmoor. This is indeed good news. I have mailed her with updates on the away section roof. She is a very nice lady and I am sure will do a good job. I spoke to the club at the end of September and they were making enquiries about possible further funding streams and obtaining other estimates for the work. We are short of about another £3500. There is £1500 in the kitty. I would not be able to do another funding scheme until the summer as there have been close family member health problems which are occupying a lot of my free time. By the way, hot water bottles are now available (changed at half time) for those who want them and thanks to Nigel and Ben and staff in the Ellacombe refreshment kiosk who provide the hot water. They couldn't be more enthusiastic or helpful.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

A while ago I was in a very serious car accident (even got announced at Half Time) and when I managed to get along to my first game the club were outstanding. Really looked after me. I even got to go and visit the players and gave a team talk at HT! Good old Nicho...
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

As I was sat in Bristows for the Barnet game I missed the fact that the club have erected a roof over the away section for the disabled supporters. Two people have rung me to say whether it was anything to do with me. It wasn't and I am delighted the club have taken this action. No doubt they will make an announcement soon. It is pleasing they are making an investment in the stadium infrastructure and perhaps an augury to the future in that once the 5 year plan is up (soon) they may be around for longer. £1500 had been raised and is in the TUST account. Discussions will now take place as to good causes this money can be put towards. Ideas welcome. Of course this will be in consultation with the club. Later I will make a more complete summary of the process, drawing attention to the help and generosity of supporters. Job done.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Well done Sam.
I know what you've put into this over several years so I'm pleased to see the club make some moves on it. Long overdue.
All the best mate.
Dave