MacDonald to Cheltenham?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

If the club allows a player of Marsh's quality to leave when we are facing relegation to a part time league then I would interpret that as equivalent to closing the doors permanently. I hope it is not true, but nothing would surprise me.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

It is not surprising that most of the players want to leave. Why would they want to stay around in a club which is destined for a part-time league? As for attracting good players that is now past the point of no return. Wroe is a good example.
Those on here who think Torquay will be up for promotion next season should think again. The Club will be in no better position than any of the other Clubs.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote:But there are old cars everywhere. There are plenty of young hungry footballers as there are plenty of newer cars if you need to replace one.........
Sorry Dave think we'll end up at the scrap yard it's my fault for taking it that way. Where are we going to get a replacement so Angus is worth £50,000 to the club.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Ajala & harrod looked pretty sharp, best we have seen for a long time,looks positive imo. Can see it turning around, its just looking a bit tight for time so can't afford to many more slip ups. As far as I'm concerned McDonald can go, he's not that good, too quiet for a captain,
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

arcadia wrote:
Sorry Dave think we'll end up at the scrap yard it's my fault for taking it that way. Where are we going to get a replacement so Angus is worth £50,000 to the club. or maybe 50p
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

ferrarilover wrote:
Nor do footballers. Certainly not at our level. Angus Mac already has a sideline flogging cars, you think he'll risk half his salary and any future move by acting up for 6 months?
You don't think football is a tiny little world where everyone knows everyone and if you get a poor reputation without the talent to match, you're f***?

If signing players for peanuts is so easy, then I think we do let him go. Then we just sign John Terry as cover and win the league. Easy this football lark, innit.

Matt.
Of course they do, we're a small club used by any ambitious footballer as a stepping stone, if they get a better offer and we don't let them leave of course they'll get resentful. He isn't risking his salary because if we just release him then he gets his way anyway. Football is a pragmatic world, and demanding to be allowed to leave isn't seen as acting up so won't get you a poor reputation, it's seen as normal.

Signing players for peanuts is easy if you're a more attractive prospect than their current club. Hence we are signing players for free from crap SDL clubs, that's the kind of level we are more attractive than.

It isn't pleasant to admit this, but that's the way it is. I know it's nicer to blame the board and think they're just mugs, but this pattern happens all across football, clubs in our position getting great fees really doesn't happen much. We're pathetic little Torquay, we get shafted.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

arcadia wrote: Sorry Dave think we'll end up at the scrap yard it's my fault for taking it that way. Where are we going to get a replacement so Angus is worth £50,000 to the club.

He's never been worth £50k and in my opinion never will be. Let's not kid ourselves we're talking about anything other than an average conference player, there are plenty of those about but affording one is a different matter.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

There seems to be frequent references to us signing SDL players. The only local that Nico has really taken a punt on is Sean Finch and he is on non contract terms and has only been in the starting line up because of injuries, suspensions and a general shortage of players. If he gets picked again it should be on merit except maybe for cup games where we have three players who are cup tied.
The two goalies both served two year apprenticeships with us and in the case of Scott Corderoy who has played lots of semi pro football I guess he had reached a stage in his life where he couldn't be asked to travel miles and miles playing semi pro for a few bob. Neither Corderoy or Fisher have played during any game as yet.
The only other player that has been signed who isn't from "up country" i.e. north of Exeter is Ben Gerring. Again he did a two year apprenticeship with Argyle and last season was playing at the same level as Tyrone Marsh and Shepherd Murumbedzi amongst others.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Jack wrote:There seems to be frequent references to us signing SDL players. The only local that Nico has really taken a punt on is Sean Finch and he is on non contract terms and has only been in the starting line up because of injuries, suspensions and a general shortage of players. If he gets picked again it should be on merit except maybe for cup games where we have three players who are cup tied.
The two goalies both served two year apprenticeships with us and in the case of Scott Corderoy who has played lots of semi pro football I guess he had reached a stage in his life where he couldn't be asked to travel miles and miles playing semi pro for a few bob. Neither Corderoy or Fisher have played during any game as yet.
The only other player that has been signed who isn't from "up country" i.e. north of Exeter is Ben Gerring. Again he did a two year apprenticeship with Argyle and last season was playing at the same level as Tyrone Marsh and Shepherd Murumbedzi amongst others.
Good post! Blisset is on a 2 year deal isnt he. Stand to be corrected. But if so that doesnt look like part time football next season. But we can compete at this level, it just might take time. Which football fans dont like
TUST MEMBER
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I believe Blissett is on a deal until the end of the season with an "option" to extend.

So if we go down and we can't afford him he leaves.

As far as I am aware we don't have anybody (players or coaches) under contract past the end of this season do we?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Why shouldn't we compete at this level? Even though we are a joke team we are still getting crowds better than more than half of the teams in this league, and in some cases more than THREE times more than their attendances.

Added in 1 second:
Why shouldn't we compete at this level? Even though we are a joke team we are still getting crowds better than more than half of the teams in this league, and in some cases more than THREE times more than their attendances.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Jerry wrote:As far as I am aware we don't have anybody (players or coaches) under contract past the end of this season do we?
I think Dan was the only player to be on a deal until June 17...
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Perhaps any deal for Angus is off given that Cheltenham have made a signing today....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35410408
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Well, not sure how true this Marsh rumour is... but if true, that really does say something about how difficult it has got for the club. Angus going wouldn't destroy our remote chances of staying up. Marsh leaving really would do in my opinion. He's a proven goal scorer and has been excellent this season. Shame Cox didn't play him, as we might have a few extra precious points on the board.

So where has this rumour come from? I had a quick gander at the other forum and couldn't see it mentioned?

The 'other forum' is Beyond the Penn Inn Roundabout where lots of 'rumours' are discussed !!!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

Cheltenham signed a defender on loan today so seems macdonald aint going there