MacDonald to Cheltenham?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

MacDonald to Cheltenham?

Post by Gloomy Gull »

......heard this rumour yesterday.

Anyone know if there is any substance to it, and what if anything, are we going to do about a replacement?
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Yeah I've heard it's happening.

I got put down last week for saying it was a goodbye wave.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

That'd be a bummer.

It IS going g to happen at some point though. He's a decent young player and we aren't in a position to convince players like that to stay even if we did have the funds.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ideal replacement for Downer and would undoubtedly come with a glowing recommendation from the stricken captain and senior pro.

Provided we hold our nerve and get fifty grand for him, I'll be happy enough.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i had heard it had fallen through, but if it does happen who will we replace him with? and would we be able to find a good enough replacement. so we strengthen the attack and weaken the defence and its already a brittle defence to say the least, i know we need the money but we also need to stay in this league.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The last days of a transfer window seem to be critical. I worry here because Nicholson's preferred methodology seems to be trials. If Cheltenham move in late ( and regaining league status is a big incentive maybe for doing that ) please let's not be caught out of position. Please let's be thinking what we would do now. We have one loan place left -let's not be drawn into using that up here on the one window that will still be open.

Added in 1 second:
The last days of a transfer window seem to be critical. I worry here because Nicholson's preferred methodology seems to be trials. If Cheltenham move in late ( and regaining league status is a big incentive maybe for doing that ) please let's not be caught out of position. Please let's be thinking what we would do now. We have one loan place left -let's not be drawn into using that up here on the one window that will still be open.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

"Provided we hold our nerve and get fifty grand for him, I'll be happy enough"

Not a chance. He's not worth anything like that.

Will be a huge blow if he goes as we've not got anyone to replace him adequately - and will be unlikely too at this stage of the season. But this season has been awful for Angus - he should have stepped up way more than he has done. This season has been a big opportunity to stand up and make an impact and he has massively failed to do that
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Jeff wrote:"Provided we hold our nerve and get fifty grand for him, I'll be happy enough"

Not a chance. He's not worth anything like that.

Will be a huge blow if he goes as we've not got anyone to replace him adequately - and will be unlikely too at this stage of the season. But this season has been awful for Angus - he should have stepped up way more than he has done. This season has been a big opportunity to stand up and make an impact and he has massively failed to do that
It's like an old car if you've not got a new one he's worth £50,000 as where can you go and replace him.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

But there are old cars everywhere. There are plenty of young hungry footballers as there are plenty of newer cars if you need to replace one.........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

I watched the Gateshead game from the Popside towards the Babbacombe End. Having seen the suggestions that Angus might be on his way to Blackpool I was particularly interested to see if he was that good and the second half provided the opportunity to see him in action.
He looks like a steady Conference defender who has to concentrate on his own game - unlike Nathan Smith who looks like a really good prospect for the future. I don't think Angus is performing very well as team captain on the pitch because he has to focus on his own game and keep his temper under control. He wasn't driving his team mates in the last 15 minutes which is what a good team captain needs to do. I didn't see the FGR home game or the Cheltenham game but I got the impression that Courtenay Richards was a real driving force as team captain and almost gave us a man advantage. A midfield player is also better placed to talk to the ref and his team mates than a central defender.
I seem to recall that Martin Ling appointed Brian Saah as Club Captain while Lee Mansell was Team Captain on the pitch. If KN did the same with Angus and Courtenay it might help Angus on the pitch and it would harness the infectious enthusiasm of Courtenay Richards which was an integral part of the Christmas games.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Good, let them sign one of those others then.

We need to start valuing our assets. If clubs want players, they'll pay for them.

Is an iPhone with £800? Of course not, especially when a technically better phone is available for half that. Will people pay it? You **** bet they will.

Macdonald's NON NEGOTIABLE price is £50,000. Take it or leave it. He's worth that much to us. Same as my old Jag. Probably worth about six grand all told, but if you want it, I'll be needing 25k, because that's what it's worth to me.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

ferrarilover wrote: Macdonald's NON NEGOTIABLE price is £50,000. Take it or leave it. He's worth that much to us. Same as my old Jag. Probably worth about six grand all told, but if you want it, I'll be needing 25k, because that's what it's worth to me.
Unfortunately, your analogy falls down because your Jag doesn't stop working and get resentful if you refuse to sell it to someone who offers six grand for it.

Cases like Saido Berahino where the club manages to hold out are few and far between, and West Brom have a big advantage over us in that they can financially and tactically afford to have a disaffected player stewing on the bench or in the reserves. Yeah, it's crap, but that's the harsh reality of the situation.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Southampton Gull wrote:But there are old cars everywhere. There are plenty of young hungry footballers as there are plenty of newer cars if you need to replace one.........

Exactly what we don't need at the moment would be someone young, hungry or "new". This is a relegation scrap. If MacDonald leaves we need to get a Guy Branston MkII in to replace him.

Selling MacDonald for anything less than the amount it would cost to get the above player + one other is the asking price. Nicholson and the board should know how much that is, but as we've only got half ans aeon left I would say that's probably £30,000. If it's less than that, then what's the point? We may as well keep him.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Were going down any way so lets sell off all the family cars while its still worth a bob or two!
Richards must be worth a couple of grand as hes still running smoothly, not sure how much we would get for a crooked Young and Fairhurst?
We could sell them "sold as seen"

Lets clear out the forecourt and pop down the auction rooms for next season.

Bedford van in goal
Zodiac Zyphers in defence
Puergeots central midfield
Couple of Hillman imps on the wings
Ford Cortina RS3100

Job done!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Would love to think we might get £30k never mind £50k - in reality, I wouldn't expect us to get much more than £10k, perhaps £15k at best. Not sure how much we got for Ryan Bowman but I don't reckon it was much more than those sort of figures and he is someone who pretty much guarantees you 15-20 goals per season, at this level.

The reality is that MacDonald is out of contract in the summer and is therefore free to leave, as he is under 24 (he will be in October) we are entitled to some compensation - that is, of course assuming we can offer him the same money on a new contract - which may well be unlikely if we do indeed drop down to the part time league. Even if we could match his wages, his fee would then be decided by a tribunal who are unlikely , I would suggest based on past performances, to offer much more than the above. Cheltenham will know all this and so our bargaining position isn't exactly a strong one!

My understanding is that we have already turned down their "first" offer, I guess it all depends now whether they comeback with an acceptable higher offer.