Dan Lavercombe and Wigan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ThreeAmigosWigan
Trialist
Trialist

Dan Lavercombe and Wigan

Post by ThreeAmigosWigan »

I am editor of the Wigan Athletic fan site http://threeamigoswigan.com/

I wonder if any of you could help me to put together a fan view article on Dan Lavercombe?

I would need just a few paragraphs about him - how he has performed, attitude, effort, potential etc

We at Wigan have had our ups and downs in the last couple of years. We are keeping our fingers crossed that Lavercombe can be a part of a second half of season revival for TUFC.

I look forward to your responses.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Welcome to the site.

Dan is a local lad and Torquay fan as far as I am aware. Tall, composed and mature for his age. Came in to a struggling team at the end of last season and his presence at the back was hugely reassuring. At 18 it was remarkable that he didn't seem nervous or at all phased by it. I believe he kept three clean sheets on the bounce. This season he started as number 2 to Fabian Speiss but has made the shirt his own in recent times. Seems to improve every time I see him. He does however have a tendency to be beaten by long-range shots and hopefully this is something your coaches will work on with him.

He has the potential to be a very good keeper. Probably Championship standard. Was on trial at Liverpool in the summer and had also previously been linked with Bolton before their financial troubles.

Do you have any more details on the nature of the deal? The fee has been rumoured at around £30k with add-ons. There's also been some rumours about him training with you during the week and only coming down to us on Fridays which is a bit worrying!

All the best and if you've got a good young midfielder who needs some game time then please send him our way (provided he's free!).
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

I have only watched him once when I came over from Norway to attend the game against Bromley and they lost 3-7. Better leave it to other posters here to give a better insight into the young goalkeeper :)
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

the 3-7 result was not down to Dan! It was the culmination of great unrest at the club with staff, players and fans not really knowing what the heck was going on and if the club would still exist the next day!

To Dan's credit, he has more than "bounced back" from that upset and acquitted himself well over recent weeks, amid the rumours and negotiations surrounding his transfer to WIgan. His current (new) coach here has commented on his command of the area and has stated he will work specifically on Dan becoming more vocal.

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
Oh, and I think Dan has a bright future ahead of him. And the future is orange (his preferred colour!).
TUST member 200 ;-)
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

torq2u wrote:the 3-7 result was not down to Dan! It was the culmination of great unrest at the club with staff, players and fans not really knowing what the heck was going on and if the club would still exist the next day!
Most definitely. The team was all over the place. The worst beating I have witnessed at Plainmoor.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

In fairness to the whole team the day, their black lad would have scored those goals past Joe Hart and they were being "lead" by Dickhead McArsehole.

Danny boy has gone from shot stopper to goalkeeper with the addition of one crucial element: starting position. He now adopts such a good starting position so much of the time that he has developed command of his area and makes himself seem a much better goalkeeper than he was even a few months ago.

He needs to work on his kicking under pressure and his kicking decision making, but aside from that, he's good to go.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Certainly has potential but has a worrying habit of watching shots sail close to his goal and not react until its too late !! Hopefully a bit of expert coaching will cure him of that habit !!
ThreeAmigosWigan
Trialist
Trialist

Thanks for your input, gents. Dan sounds like a good young prospect.

I will put together your comments and publish a composite article of them on our site.

It is my understanding that Dan will train at Wigan during the week, then travel for TUFC matches. The same is happening with Danny Whitehead, signed from Macclesfield, but for him the trip between the two bases is considerably shorter. Wigan to Torquay is quite a journey!

Added in 22 minutes 51 seconds:
There is talk in Wigan about young midfielder Tim Chow going out on loan. When the Whitehead deal was done with Macclesfield not only did he go back for the rest of the season but Caldwell also loaned them two good young players, Adam Anson and Louis Robles. Will this happen between WAFC and TUFC too?? Chow could do a good job for you.

Added in 1 minute 10 seconds:
There is talk in Wigan about young midfielder Tim Chow going out on loan. When the Whitehead deal was done with Macclesfield not only did he go back for the rest of the season but Caldwell also loaned them two good young players, Adam Anson and Louis Robles. Will this happen between WAFC and TUFC too?? Chow could do a good job for you.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Potentially, we are expecting a midfielder to sign for us this week.

May not be as easy for this agreement to take place as it is with Macclesfield though due to geographical placement.

Added in 4 minutes 14 seconds:
As for Lavercombe, I like him a lot. Technically a good keeper but I've been impressed by his confidence and commanding of the defence. Many other factors are involved of course but since he's made the no.1 spot his own, we've looked a lot more solid in defence. His improvement over the last few years has been rapid, and I see no reason why he can't continue to do so with you guys next season.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
ThreeAmigosWigan
Trialist
Trialist

Article is out.

Many thanks to all for input.

http://wp.me/p1LmdG-1Wc

Added in 9 minutes 42 seconds:
Article is out.

Many thanks to all for input.

http://wp.me/p1LmdG-1Wc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

From the very first game Dan played I e-mailed my football friends in Bristol stating that Torquay have a very good keeper in the making. Dan is confident and his reflexes are good and has natural ability that you cannot coach. His handling is very good and he is beginning to get length on his punches.
Dans good on crosses and uses his feet which a lot of keepers don't do and I have confidence that he will progress to a higher level.

Dan needs to be more commanding telling his defense where he wants them and show the strikers where he wants them to shoot in one on ones penalties and free kicks. All this will come with experience!

Wigan are a lucky club to have such a good young keeper with huge potential.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

Good luck with managing working with the 2 clubs over the coming months.

After all these accolades, I do hope we have some substantial add-on fees built into the contract!
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Dan Lavercombe's has done really well. In my honest opinion, he didn't look anywhere near ready v Bromley and in his first few games this season, he looked shaky and very short of confidence, but where he is today from where he started the season, is poles apart, Dan's clearly grown in confidence and gets better as the weeks go by.

He's proved with out shadow of a doubt to but a very levelled headed young man, with maturity beyond his years, think he'll need 18 months or so to challenge for the Wigan no1 shirt, however, if he keeps his feet on the ground so to speak, and I'm sure he will, can see him making it in the game, he deserves a lot of credit and I wish (as I've always done) well.
Formerly known as forevertufc