Dan Lavercombe and Wigan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Jeff wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 18:39 Damning assessment of Neal Osborn then. What's the point in having him as back-up if we aren't actually going to play him (although I appreciate that some people said he looked ropey in pre-season, but then why sign him).

Tbf Osborn has been through the youth ranks of a side who give the impression of having a superior youth setup. On paper he's not that different to Lavercombe's situation
Good question, why sign him? ask that twit of a previous manager...
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 19:31 If you have watched all pre-season you would understand why this decision was taken the lad is not ready to play first team football.
So with a 35 veteran goalkeeper, why sign someone clearly not fit for purpose?

Another example of poor homework by the former manager!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

merse btpir wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 19:58 So with a 35 veteran goalkeeper, why sign someone clearly not fit for purpose?

Equally how accountable is our head of recruitment in all these signings
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

lucy6lucy wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 20:17 Equally how accountable is our head of recruitment in all these signings
I would not worry now as it looks as though they've just woke up. I have noticed Clarke has been injured as well and was the reason he was left out of a couple of pre-season games. At the moment he's priceless and need to look after him.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

merse btpir wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 19:58 So with a 35 veteran goalkeeper, why sign someone clearly not fit for purpose?

Because its a cheap option rather than spending budget on a backup player who won't get games. When something does happen, you sign a loan keeper, as we have done.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

leetufc wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 22:50 Because its a cheap option rather than spending budget on a backup player who won't get games. When something does happen, you sign a loan keeper, as we have done.
I would expect that most NL managers with limited budgets would look for a cheap option for their number 2 keeper and as you say look to the loan market to replace their number 1 if he was going to be out for a few matches.
I seem to remember the 46 year old pieman from Sutton having another job with the club as well as being the back up goalie.
It must have been quite soul destroying for our number 2 goalie last season when he didn't get a first team chance during the 6 months he was with us.