23 matches played ...... 23 matches remaining

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

23 matches played ...... 23 matches remaining

Post by tomogull »

Well, here we are - halfway through the the National League season. Who are the tops and who are the flops? For me, both Cheltenham and Forest Green are doing better than I expected. I had a feeling Forest Green would slip back a bit this season after failing in the Play Offs for two seasons. Someone posted on here that Johnson, Cheltenham's manager, was shrewd and that they could go well. They've been proved right. It's tight for the play off places. The expected teams are there - Grimsby, Wrexham, Eastleigh - but I don't think we expected Dover and Braintree to be up there in the mix. Guiseley are doing okay - most predicted they would be dead certs for relegation.

The flops - Tranmere are the biggest surprise non-performers, followed by Gateshead and Chester not living up to pre-season expectations. Other teams who we thought would do a bit better than they are - Aldershot, Halifax and er, um Torquay.

The relegation battle is now on with seven teams in contention - Altrincham, Welling, Boreham Wood, Southport, the Gulls, Halifax and Kidderminster. Aldershot look just about out of the battle but they have to be careful. Southport seem to be turning things around and Halifax are starting to pick up a few points under Paul Cox whereas we are not picking up points. It's all looking alarmingly depressing.

Of the players who left Plainmoor at the end of last season, Krystian Pearce is showing his worth with Mansfield and Aaron Downes is having a good season as Cheltenham's captain. Jordan Chappell and Ryan Bowman are playing regularly for Chester and Gateshead, although Bowman's goals seem to have dried up. Toby Ajala seems to be used as a sub by Dover. Duane O'Achie and Courtney Cameron don't appear in Dover and Southport squads, although both may be out injured. Ben Harding rarely appears in Gosport's squad so no doubt he's injured again and Elliott Benyon scores now and again for Hayes & Yeading. Karl Hawley, Stourbridge, continues to miss penalties (he missed one against Eastleigh in the Cup on Saturday). Martin Rice is Truro's first choice 'keeper and they are going well.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Did we really think Torquay would do better than they are doing? Surely the club's current position is not unexpected.

While there was life there was hope, of course, but Torquay, as a team and as a club (not to mention as a geriatric community) is just about dead on its feet.

It's hopeless: miracles rarely happen, and all is lost. We shall lose those 23 games, and even lose the FA Trophy match. :(
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

tomogull wrote:Well, here we are - halfway through the the National League season. Who are the tops and who are the flops? For me, both Cheltenham and Forest Green are doing better than I expected. I had a feeling Forest Green would slip back a bit this season after failing in the Play Offs for two seasons. Someone posted on here that Johnson, Cheltenham's manager, was shrewd and that they could go well. They've been proved right. It's tight for the play off places. The expected teams are there - Grimsby, Wrexham, Eastleigh - but I don't think we expected Dover and Braintree to be up there in the mix. Guiseley are doing okay - most predicted they would be dead certs for relegation.

The flops - Tranmere are the biggest surprise non-performers, followed by Gateshead and Chester not living up to pre-season expectations. Other teams who we thought would do a bit better than they are - Aldershot, Halifax and er, um Torquay.

The relegation battle is now on with seven teams in contention - Altrincham, Welling, Boreham Wood, Southport, the Gulls, Halifax and Kidderminster. Aldershot look just about out of the battle but they have to be careful. Southport seem to be turning things around and Halifax are starting to pick up a few points under Paul Cox whereas we are not picking up points. It's all looking alarmingly depressing.

Of the players who left Plainmoor at the end of last season, Krystian Pearce is showing his worth with Mansfield and Aaron Downes is having a good season as Cheltenham's captain. Jordan Chappell and Ryan Bowman are playing regularly for Chester and Gateshead, although Bowman's goals seem to have dried up. Toby Ajala seems to be used as a sub by Dover. Duane O'Achie and Courtney Cameron don't appear in Dover and Southport squads, although both may be out injured. Ben Harding rarely appears in Gosport's squad so no doubt he's injured again and Elliott Benyon scores now and again for Hayes & Yeading. Karl Hawley, Stourbridge, continues to miss penalties (he missed one against Eastleigh in the Cup on Saturday). Martin Rice is Truro's first choice 'keeper and they are going well.
I think you will find that Paul Cox is manager of Barrow not Halifax
Lucy
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

At half way we have a points to games ratio of just shy of 0.74. To get to 50 points we need to average over 1.43 points per game (almost double to what we have achieved thus far).

If you don't change the equation then the result will not change. Trouble is we have no money to change that equation and we are barely able to exist as is.

Barring a miracle there are some hard truths to face.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

I have to say I did not expect us to be in the position we are but if we can turn it around in the next few weeks I believe we can manage to stay up but I honestly think Nico needs to look at the fixtures and pick games he feels he could play in he may not play in many but I think he would be able to look at things from a different perspective if he is on the sidelines I for one will not give up on the lads till it is mathematically impossible COYY
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Didn't go to the game as we went to the Emirates, what a game! Anyway, just seen the highlights on Bt sport and thought we had plenty of chances! It looked pretty good, just have to keep believing, we just have to.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Next 3 away games Chester, Cheltenham, FGR.

Next 3 home games FGR, Braintree, Gateshead.

Even the Lady rose, of rose tinted manor won't see a way out of this one.
Formerly known as forevertufc
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Since the boards signing of Kevin Nicholson I have thought that we would be relegated.
I expect us to be 10 point adrift by the end of Christmas fixtures. Possibly near 30 point by the end of January / mid February.

Every time I logon I am expecting a further nail in the relegation coffin.
Just trying to think of the last bit of good news we had ......... Anyone?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

lucy6lucy wrote: I think you will find that Paul Cox is manager of Barrow not Halifax
:Oops: Oops ! Ah, yes ...... you're right ! Well spotted. In answer to Gullscorer - yes, I did think we would be doing a bit better than we are. I really didn't think we'd be looking over our shoulders to National League South.
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

We have lost Pearce, Downes, Bowman, and Young (through injury) compared to last year so we we bound to be less experienced and weaker this year.
We have had some ill fortune in conceding late goals, but my hope is that now our players are learning and getting fitter we can improve in the second half of the season. Recent performances do seem to be better, albeit it is points that count.
While our next and Christmas / New Year matches look very tough any points a bonus, I was hoping our rivals would not pick many points also. (last nights Southport result was a major disaster).
Still hope that our Feb / March fixtures could be productive if we can just get a win soon.
Keep the faith!!!!!!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Richinns wrote: 07 Dec 2015, 18:21 At half way we have a points to games ratio of just shy of 0.74. To get to 50 points we need to average over 1.43 points per game (almost double to what we have achieved thus far).

If you don't change the equation then the result will not change. Trouble is we have no money to change that equation and we are barely able to exist as is.

Barring a miracle there are some hard truths to face.
Only 10 games to go now and the equation hasn't changed that much.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

kevgull wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 07:44 Only 10 games to go now and the equation hasn't changed that much.
That post comes from last season.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 12:23 That post comes from last season.
Yep - we are in the post miracle era now! (although we will need a little bit of it to get out of this seasons potential threat!)
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

We're in the same position 12 months on, oh the joy of supporting TUFC!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

kevgull wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 16:30 We're in the same position 12 months on, oh the joy of supporting TUFC!
No we are not. Twelve months ago we were on an upward trajectory, with better players and an easier list of forthcoming fixtures.