New Share Issue In Torquay United F. C.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Gullpower is correct. It's not about success on the field, nor even about owning and controlling the club. It's about helping the club to survive, and this can be done without full ownership, by TUST working in partnership with other directors and investors. And this should not preclude the issue of shares to supporters, who may be more likely to maintain interest with a stake in the club's future, rather than simply making donations.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Both of the last two posts make very valid points. Fred is correct in saying that community owned clubs cannot compete at the top levels of the game due to finance and are no guarantee of success. There have also been some spectacular failures such as Stockport county. But gullpower is equally correct in saying that the teams mentioned would not exist today without community ownership. It seems though that community ownership only exists when other private interests decide there is no money to made from the existing club, so the trusts that take over these clubs are already on a hiding to nothing. What I find extremely concerning is the fact we seem to be paying out a lot of money just to survive. We took a loan from GI it seems just to get to the end of last season, and I believe the reason we pay Thea Bristow 50% of all transfer income is due to a loan of £200,000 she made to the club just to keep it going last year. Where on earth are we going to get the money survive this season?
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Plainmoor78 wrote:Both of the last two posts make very valid points. Fred is correct in saying that community owned clubs cannot compete at the top levels of the game due to finance and are no guarantee of success. There have also been some spectacular failures such as Stockport county. But gullpower is equally correct in saying that the teams mentioned would not exist today without community ownership. It seems though that community ownership only exists when other private interests decide there is no money to made from the existing club, so the trusts that take over these clubs are already on a hiding to nothing. What I find extremely concerning is the fact we seem to be paying out a lot of money just to survive. We took a loan from GI it seems just to get to the end of last season, and I believe the reason we pay Thea Bristow 50% of all transfer income is due to a loan of £200,000 she made to the club just to keep it going last year. Where on earth are we going to get the money survive this season?
:goodpost:

"It seems though that community ownership only exists when other private interests decide there is no money to made from the existing club, so the trusts that take over these clubs are already on a hiding to nothing." Spot on! And this is why it is important that TUST becomes involved now, rather than leaving it until TUST are the buyers of last resort.

Join TUST, dream in yellow.
fred disley

Post by fred disley »

I stand corrected by Gullpower,he is right in seeing the bigger picture and stating the only objective is the long term survival of Torquay United. Perhaps in my rose tinted glasses mode I was hoping for something more, at least back in the league before I get too old to trudge up the steps of the family stand. I suppose the way we have lurched from disaster to disaster over the last few seasons I just wish for a close season when we start the new season with the same board that finished the last,the same manager,and I am sure that Nicholson with another season under his belt will be a wanted commodity. More than three players under contract for the following season and no asset stripping companies having our board over for the majority of the break, I think these things equate to stability, A very unusual concept for our club.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

fred disley wrote:I stand corrected by Gullpower,he is right in seeing the bigger picture and stating the only objective is the long term survival of Torquay United. Perhaps in my rose tinted glasses mode I was hoping for something more, at least back in the league before I get too old to trudge up the steps of the family stand. I suppose the way we have lurched from disaster to disaster over the last few seasons I just wish for a close season when we start the new season with the same board that finished the last,the same manager,and I am sure that Nicholson with another season under his belt will be a wanted commodity. More than three players under contract for the following season and no asset stripping companies having our board over for the majority of the break, I think these things equate to stability, A very unusual concept for our club.
fred disley :goodpost: Let's hope together. Dream in yellow!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Nice to see people waking up and discussing possibilities of what could be the best and safest way forward for our club. Not sure what the answers are, I wish I knew, aside from another one of us winning a massive lottery jackpot its not going to be easy.

Working with the community and recouping some profile is a start, not sure if fan ownership is the answer and if it could work out, but again I do feel if the club badly needs funds then a share scheme for supporters alongside private ownership could be the best option. The club would do well not to be stubborn and ignore this option until its too late just because it might concede a say in matters or give away what goes on behind the curtain. It would definitely bring the club and its supporters closer whilst possibly keeping the wolf from the door and vultures from circling. It is surely better than embarrassingly and cheekily getting the begging bowl out and asking for charity whilst chanting the same mantra about life support and chains on the doors.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

As the originator of this post last November I have been reading with interest the recent posts started by chunkygull a week ago.
Now that GIL are hopefully history the future of our Club is reaching a really crucial stage given that cash is very tight and TUST do not have, as of today, the financial muscle to make a bid for the Club.
I am currently making a detailed study of all the Clubs owned by their fans in both the Football League and the National League.
The more I think about it the more I am convinced that the only way forward is for the fans to buy the Club but as ever the difficult part is how we go about a deal and how we finance the buy out.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

portugull wrote:As the originator of this post last November I have been reading with interest the recent posts started by chunkygull a week ago.
Now that GIL are hopefully history the future of our Club is reaching a really crucial stage given that cash is very tight and TUST do not have, as of today, the financial muscle to make a bid for the Club.
I am currently making a detailed study of all the Clubs owned by their fans in both the Football League and the National League.
The more I think about it the more I am convinced that the only way forward is for the fans to buy the Club but as ever the difficult part is how we go about a deal and how we finance the buy out.
Maybe talk to TUST as well?
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Come on guys if none of these so called new investers/owners dont come through you know this is the only way to save the club and keep the wolf (GI) or other predators from the door. :scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).