Great appointment.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

So next season we could be playing in the Conference South, possibly as part-timers, while Truro City could be playing in the National League with Martin Rice in goal, but at least the board will not let the club go into administration. And eventually we'll be playing in the Western League, but at least we'll still have a club, albeit not the club we used to know.

But don't worry, come the New Year the title of this thread will be brilliantly confirmed by our new manager, or there will be a new thread entitled 'Great Disappointment'. If he fails, it certainly won't be his fault. My feeling is, he and the players will do just enough to save us. But we really need to give them our full support, if we call ourselves supporters.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

IF we survive it will be the supporters who have done enough. They have been truly magnificent and the Board need to acknowledge that.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Dazza wrote:There seems to be a statement or presumption on here that Nationwide South means we have to go part time. It maybe a financial reality but can anyone advise me whether it is fact a league ruling? I am not sure it could be?

It's not a league ruling but the average attendance at Conference South level was 640 last season. Away attendances are much much lower, think 5 men and a dog. If Torquay dropped down to that level, our attendances would probably level down to 1k if we were lucky, more than likely they would be worse given how the Torbay public only turns out when the team is doing well/playing big teams. We'd get next to no away fans visiting except a couple hundred Truro fans if we're lucky.

It would simply be financially unsustainable to have a full time squad. So we'd have to go part time and without the large number of high paying jobs that part-time teams in the South-East can rely upon, we will attract no part time players of any quality down here beyond Sunday League players. This would impact the quality of the team, we'd be scrapping away with Truro towards the bottom of the table, as the part-time south east teams and sugar daddy funded clubs bypass us and the death spiral will continue to it's logical conclusion or the club will become a permanent CS level team drawing about 600 fans rattling around the biggest and best stadium at CS level.

Simply put, the relegation to Conference National level was bad but not a deathblow to the club, the relegation to Conference South would put the club in very very serious problems regardless of who was in charge at boardroom level. We can't allow the club to be relegated.
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

SenorDingDong wrote:
It's not a league ruling but the average attendance at Conference South level was 640 last season. Away attendances are much much lower, think 5 men and a dog. If Torquay dropped down to that level, our attendances would probably level down to 1k if we were lucky, more than likely they would be worse given how the Torbay public only turns out when the team is doing well/playing big teams. We'd get next to no away fans visiting except a couple hundred Truro fans if we're lucky.

It would simply be financially unsustainable to have a full time squad. So we'd have to go part time and without the large number of high paying jobs that part-time teams in the South-East can rely upon, we will attract no part time players of any quality down here beyond Sunday League players. This would impact the quality of the team, we'd be scrapping away with Truro towards the bottom of the table, as the part-time south east teams and sugar daddy funded clubs bypass us and the death spiral will continue to it's logical conclusion or the club will become a permanent CS level team drawing about 600 fans rattling around the biggest and best stadium at CS level.

Simply put, the relegation to Conference National level was bad but not a deathblow to the club, the relegation to Conference South would put the club in very very serious problems regardless of who was in charge at boardroom level. We can't allow the club to be relegated.
I entirely agree with your assessment with the exception that if Truro carry on with their winning run they might well be in the Play offs and who knows the National League next season replacing us. They certainly appear to have the financial backing. Investment in Players is required NOW. Have we got the money or not to invest in our future??
:rules: :rules: :rules:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Yells wrote: I entirely agree with your assessment with the exception that if Truro carry on with their winning run they might well be in the Play offs and who knows the National League next season replacing us. They certainly appear to have the financial backing. Investment in Players is required NOW. Have we got the money or not to invest in our future??
I suspect you would like nothing more than for us to go bust. Is this the new approach? Club not losing money as you had hoped so now demand they 'invest' in a game of risk where you sit back and wait for the club to fall on its knees?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Richinns wrote: I suspect you would like nothing more than for us to go bust. Is this the new approach? Club not losing money as you had hoped so now demand they 'invest' in a game of risk where you sit back and wait for the club to fall on its knees?
Again you are entitled to your opinion, Why would we go bust? Have we got the money to invest or not? its a simple question, We have a good Balance Sheet (I think). If the plan is drop into the National South and use Nico at the fall guy until the end of the Season the Board are going the right way about it. If the Board want to stay in this League INVEST NOW. Anyway fingers cross for tonight.
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I am not of the opinion we should overspend (that is why were in this mess, after all), but if we do spend some money on players doing it now would be wrong (other than some free loans) . Better in January. Why?

Nicholson (who is our manager, for better or worse) will have a handle on who is with him and who isn't.

Heslop can be released if needs be.

The turnover of players is high. Players who were on the fringes of league 2/1 squads suddenly find themselves replaced and looking for a move.

You can spend the same money in better quality, because you're only paying it for 6 months not 8. I would rather have a good player in January than another average one now.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Kit_robin wrote:I am not of the opinion we should overspend (that is why were in this mess, after all), but if we do spend some money on players doing it now would be wrong (other than some free loans) . Better in January. Why?

Nicholson (who is our manager, for better or worse) will have a handle on who is with him and who isn't.

The turnover of players is high. Players who were on the fringes of league 2/1 squads suddenly find themselves replaced and looking for a move.

You can spend the same money in better quality, because you're only paying it for 6 months not 8. I would rather have a good player in January than another average one now.
We're already six points adrift of 19th....how many points adrift will we be by January with the same squad?
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Kit_robin wrote:I am not of the opinion we should overspend (that is why were in this mess, after all), but if we do spend some money on players doing it now would be wrong (other than some free loans) . Better in January. Why?

We are not in a mess, We have got a good balance sheet and the initial cash investment has not been touched. The restructure has been done, so it happy days off pitch. INVEST IN PLAYERS NOW!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Yells wrote: We are not in a mess, We have got a good balance sheet and the initial cash investment has not been touched. The restructure has been done, so it happy days off pitch. INVEST IN PLAYERS NOW!
New tact taking by the asset strippers. Goal - disillusionment with an under-spending board.

No longer on life support but far from out the woods yet. No one is stupid enough to believe we have cash to splash around. We have to be clever and not throw a cheque book at this.
TUST member 328
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Richinns wrote: New tact taking by the asset strippers. Goal - disillusionment with an under-spending board.

No longer on life support but far from out the woods yet. No one is stupid enough to believe we have cash to splash around. We have to be clever and not throw a cheque book at this.
Look you can have it both ways, We are told that we have a good Balance sheet and that the new owners original investment has not been touch, Presumably the books are in good shape?. It would not be clever to get relegated to National South would it?
Not out of the woods? That's a new one. The clock is ticking. No time to dither INVEST IN PLAYERS this will bring in more Supporters 2000 plus

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Yells wrote: Look you can have it both ways, We are told that we have a good Balance sheet and that the new owners original investment has not been touch, Presumably the books are in good shape?. It would not be clever to get relegated to National South would it?
Not out of the woods? That's a new one. The clock is ticking. No time to dither INVEST IN PLAYERS this will bring in more Supporters 2000 plus

No one is buying it muppet. We all know your game! Crawl back under the rock you came from!
TUST member 328
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Another great interesting, methodical, thoughtful, appointment. One that has not been rushed into, so credit to Nicho. Rome wasn't built in a day. Way to go.
Real down to earth appointments. We no doubt will get behind them and give them time as we always do but this feels different.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Well done Nicho and the board, never doubted you from the outset.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

I am going to ruffle some feathers here but Despite Nicho not achieving getting us out the conference I still firmly feel that had he been given the financial backing that owers and kuhl have had Nicho would have gathered a team that would slowly but surely got us up the league but some of us couldn’t wait, some of us panicked, so eventually the board relented to the growing pressure and concern over their investment and figured that a change of management and throw a heep of money at it would pay dividends, they fell into the old trap that rarely works, on top of all that,the board did not like Nicho due to his closeness and frankness with the fans. If Nicho was still here we would be half way up the table I’m sure of that but that is my opinion.