Can Nicholson keep us up

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Will Nicho keep us up this season

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 295

Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

If you play Blissett you need players a) supplying him and b) playing off him. He scored 8 in 17 last season when the team was playing well, but playing as we did yesterday our only hope of scoring was either a long range strike or a set piece. Get balls into the box and play to his strengths and he'll score goals.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was there for the Gillingham game (as no doubt were tomogull, gateman, stefano and other codgers). Oh for a team like that! We should, too, consider how far we have fallen from that day.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:I was there for the Gillingham game (as no doubt were tomogull, gateman, stefano and other codgers). Oh for a team like that! We should, too, consider how far we have fallen from that day.
I have seen many Gillingham games, Wivel - which one are you referring to? My memories of games against the Gills is that they were always good, well-fought matches. I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Whitby - an impressive 4 - 3 victory against Workington in the F.A. Trophy. I tell you what - I would rather have been at the Turnbull Ground yesterday than at Plainmoor. Seven goals - it sounds like good entertainment.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Old Codger alert re Gillingham......

... having travelled on the supporters' club Wallace Arnold coaches for some years in the '60's when my pocket money allowed, I began to feel that I was not a good luck charm as the best I got was the occasional draw (for example, 0-0 away in front of 16,500 at Darlington in 1966 will be remembered by others too). Finally, I broke my duck at Gillingham witnessing a 2-1 victory in September 1970 (John Rudge got both goals).

And I still have my supporters' club enamel badge together with the little dangly bars that were attached for each year's membership.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

I agree with the majority of posters who say that Nicho can do it and he is the best thing that the club has going for it.

But we have to do our bit and get behind the team. At the last two games the Yellow Army has been very quiet, practically silent. I know that crowd participation and atmosphere is organic and difficult to dictate but also a bit of singing and chanting would do a lot to get the best out of the players.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Gateman: I was at the Priestfield that day too!
Tomogull: at the bottom of Gulliball's entries he has an 'on this day' feature. Yes, I was at the Turnbull on Saturday. Great game. Crowds going up (321 yesterday). As always, the ONLY way to get crowds to increase is by having a winning team. We now wait with great excitement for the 2nd qualifying round draw.
Who knows, we might by playing United in later rounds - let's hope so.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Nicho is working hard, and does have the passion. But unfortunately I don't think he can keep us up this time. The tactics, fitness and football ability are not good enough for this league.

Look I will support the club in Conf South, probably buy a season ticket, but that's my prediction, the question was asked and I don't think he can.

But things can change, a new investor puts in 50k, probably get 3 decent players for that for 6 months, which could save us.
TUST MEMBER
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

The club won't exist in the Conference South. It's as bleak and simple as that. Thought we'd discussed this all last season.

People need to wake up and realise the magnitude of the situation, start supporting TUST, start voicing our dissatisfaction with the board - it's long since gone past the time when we need to be 'thankful' to them. Despite all the cuts, despite all the money put into the fans fund, despite making a £100k sale this summer, they are running the club into the ground. Something is seriously wrong.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I have said it time and time again Blissett has got to be in the box it's obvious we need a hard working pacey winger who can cross a ball, a left back which should have been sorted in the summer.
Chaney if played should play where he can hurt teams and not in a wide area as he's an easy target if you get him in the box off of Blissett players are frightened to tackle him.
We need to instill confidence we've got a week, perhaps play Plymouth Reserves in a friendly and try and get an improvement. I can see Nicho works hard but if he does not get the right players he will go down with them because at the moment he needs to take a step back and have a fresh look at what he's got, as it's no good hoping someone does not make a mistake, you make the decision before it happens it's all about being an experienced manager.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

arcadia wrote:We need to instill confidence we've got a week, perhaps play Plymouth Reserves in a friendly and try and get an improvement. I can see Nicho works hard but if he does not get the right players he will go down with them because at the moment he needs to take a step back and have a fresh look at what he's got, as it's no good hoping someone does not make a mistake, you make the decision before it happens it's all about being an experienced manager.
I think Nicho has done that: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/t ... story.html
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Gullscorer I could not go on Saturday and will not comment on the game but I've seen this coming as I think Nicho had the players last season and luck which you need by making it yourself through confidence. I still don't think he's got the best out of the players and made a big mistake letting the wide players which had pace go.
Reid or Williams are no partners for Blissett. Harrod was.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote: it's obvious we need a hard working pacey winger who can cross a ball, a left back which should have been sorted in the summer. Chaney if played should play where he can hurt teams and not in a wide area as he's an easy target if you get him in the box off of Blissett players are frightened to tackle him.
There are probably 99 clubs with more money than TUFC who would love a 'hard-working, pacey winger who can cross a ball' on their books. The thing is, everything is pumped up in the direction of Nathan's head and actually he isn't that great in the air. At the start of the second half, there was a hang glider hovering close to Plainmoor. He didn't stay long. I reckon he thought he was in danger of being struck by one of Sean McGinty's clearances.

I'm sure there's an anorak out there somewhere who can tell us how many of Blissett's goals with us have been headers. I bet the answer is not many. He didn't play in the Aldershot game so we didn't have his head to aim for. Although we never looked like scoring, a make-shift side played some neat football at times on the ground. I think Blissett would be more effective with through balls on the ground which he could run on to - i.e. the sort of football we were playing last season when Raachi and Rees were in the side.

I don't know where Sam Chaney's best position is. But neither he nor Joe Ward are being helped by being in a side playing poorly and low on confidence.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Tommo Crosses and balls pulled back for strikers to run on to is what I am getting at and yes you look for the best when your a scout when looking at players I've actually scouted for a club in the 90's. Players working to the touch line and pulling the ball back. I agree about about Raachi and Rees but I think there is no creative player in the midfield at the moment that can give the balls that were there last season Chaney playing more forward behind the striker in a solid midfield could help Blissett but we need the fullbacks in our team to be the wide players as we've no wingers. Blissett seems to be playing out of the box. Confidence is low and it's hard to address when your losing. I agree with all your saying it's frustrating as Nich has left himself with very few options without wingers.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

brucie wrote:So what exactly are his attributes then?

As a player he is finished so doesn't add anything there. As a manager he has zero experience so that's a negative. He is inherited a terrible squad. As he hasn't managed anyone he is unlikely to have any contacts.

So in my view he is a terrible appointment. Is he under so much pressure though. Would he get a job at any other national league side or indeed a conference north or south team as manager?

No of course he wouldn't. Its laughable that this is perceived as "wanting the club to get relegated" - its just a piss poor appointment which will end up alienating our rapidly dwindling fanbase still further.
In view of many comments made by commentators on the radio recently it seems he is keeping up with the lads more than enough. they have described him as having a new lease of life. as you no doubt haven't been to games i doubt your sincerity.
As he has brought in players from quite a distance. Port Vale. West Brom. etc and more. this statement has proved to be absolute garbage too.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843