Can Nicholson keep us up

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Will Nicho keep us up this season

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 295

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Can Nicholson keep us up

Post by lucy6lucy »

There is no doubt we are going to struggle this season, but relegation to Conf South (ok, national South ) will lead to massive problems for the club. So can Nicholson keep us up, that's all most of us realistically hope for at this point in the season. He is a committed character, and obviously loves the area and the club. Keep us up, and next season re-group and become a competitive team. I have faith, but he needs to get his assistant right.
Lucy
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

I have to vote 'yes' because the alternative is reprehensible. Can't see us surviving as a part-time club.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Yes, I genuinely believe that Nicho can keep us up and more.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Of course he can!

All this nonsense about experience is a load of old bollocks. We have had untold supposedly experienced managers over the years and they are just as likely to fail as anyone else. Buckle, Leroy and Kevin Hodges didn't do too badly either and I am fairly certain we were their first managerial appointments.

Time to stop the rubbish some are spouting on here and give the man a chance. we all want the same thing and if you think staying away is going to help the team achieve it in any way whatsoever, then you are a deluded fool.

COYY! Nicholson's barmy army, Nicholson's barmy army!!! :)
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I have a gut feeling about Nico that I didn't get with Hargreaves. With all due respect to Nicholson, Hargreaves actually had a lot going for him before deciding to take the job on. He had a well established role with Bournemouth and also a burgeoning media career and to be honest, taking the Torquay job when he did was actually a little bit of a surprise. In contrast, Kev has been plodding along with struggling non league clubs such as Kiddy and Bath City of late and has been somewhat forgotten by the Gulls faithful.

I just feel that this represents a momentous opportunity for KN to start another chapter in his footballing career and cement his status as a true club legend. I felt that with CH, he kind of had this air of arrogance about him as boss that somehow it would work itself out in the end and he thought he couldn't fail and partly this was to blame for the relegation because the players were never given any belief by CH and they lacked a confidence that was never allowed to be rekindled under him. Kev will not be taking the piss. He'll know exactly what this means to everyone and he'll know exactly what he needs to do to dig you out of the shit. Even more important IMO, he'll be motivated as hell and this will rub off on the players. CH couldn't motivate anybody and that is half the battle no matter how shit your players are. Kev i'm sure is aware that if he cocks up big time and the board don't react quick enough to rectify his failure then the club will almost certainly be going ten feet under.

He's under HUGE pressure and that's why to have the knives out for him before he's even started is absolutely **** bizarre. Obviously some 'fans' want the club to go under so they have something else to moan about. Until he's proved he is not capable then he must have united support. I don't for one minute believe it is possible for him to be as clueless as Knill and Hargreaves.

My only niggle is the fact that on occasion Nico has displayed petulance as a player but he must be given the benefit of the doubt.

It's difficult to compare and decide who had the tougher job - CH or KN.

In League 2 I felt that CH had more than enough time to finish higher than just 2 other teams and I know from watching half of Torquay's games that season that there were some absolutely desperately shite sides in that league. In addition I didn't actually think our squad was the worst in the world either. On top of that, dropping out of the football league is pressure but nothing compared to dropping out of the national league and potentially facing closure which is what KN faces as a result of his failure despite having some REALLY shit teams to try and beat but with an admittedly much weaker squad than CH had in the league.

Like taxilady states, there is no other option. Kev Nic can and will succeed.

Come on Kev!!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Has North gone South then?! Just trying to cheer myself up.! I do worry we may be following him. No disrespect to Kevin or the club but it seems to me we are in really desperate times. The clubs at the bottom all look capable of survival. There are no lame ducks this year. If we can avoid relegation it will be a massive achievement with every credit due.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

So what exactly are his attributes then?

As a player he is finished so doesn't add anything there. As a manager he has zero experience so that's a negative. He is inherited a terrible squad. As he hasn't managed anyone he is unlikely to have any contacts.

So in my view he is a terrible appointment. Is he under so much pressure though. Would he get a job at any other national league side or indeed a conference north or south team as manager?

No of course he wouldn't. Its laughable that this is perceived as "wanting the club to get relegated" - its just a piss poor appointment which will end up alienating our rapidly dwindling fanbase still further.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Nicho has had nine different clubs. He has played for England C. During his time at Torquay he played for four different managers and at least 4 coaches. He comes across as a very personable guy who would find it easy to make friends. I am sure he has plenty of contacts within the game.

He may not have any managerial experience but he has played for and learned from many. Everyone has to start somewhere, there is no reason why he shouldn't emulate Buckle, Rosenior and Hodges - maybe even outshine them and go on to have a winning managerial career beyond TQ1.

He hasn't inherited a terrible squad. He has inherited a young squad who have gotten themselves in to a rut. In the short term inspiring these players to perform as a cohesive unit is far more important than anything else.

Would anyone else have appointed him? Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know now as we've got him. Eastleigh have just appointed Chris Todd, is that any better or worse an appointment? Given their vastly superior financial position they would have been able to take any of the 129 that applied for our job but went for the young inexperienced guy instead. At some point you guys have to admit that these people running football clubs may have a bit of an idea about what they are doing...

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Or it maybe that Eastleighs owner is in the process of accumulating and increasing his 10% share in Oxford Utd. Any comparison with who Eastleigh have appointed as their manager is nonsensical.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Brucie, you are basing your judgement on his cv only and anyone who has interviewed people would know the folly of appointing on that alone.

Good post Phil Gull, I echo those sentiments.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

PhilGull wrote:Yes, I genuinely believe that Nicho can keep us up and more.
Why? Based on what? That he had a long throw?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

hector wrote: Why? Based on what? That he had a long throw?
Because of his personality, ambition and how he carried himself on the football pitch to name three...

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

brucie wrote:So what exactly are his attributes then?

As a player he is finished so doesn't add anything there. As a manager he has zero experience so that's a negative. He is inherited a terrible squad. As he hasn't managed anyone he is unlikely to have any contacts.

So in my view he is a terrible appointment. Is he under so much pressure though. Would he get a job at any other national league side or indeed a conference north or south team as manager?

No of course he wouldn't. Its laughable that this is perceived as "wanting the club to get relegated" - its just a piss poor appointment which will end up alienating our rapidly dwindling fanbase still further.

Well, Brucie, whatever happens at TUFC, whoever is on the Board, manages, plays or sells the pies, you are never happy.

So why not cut your losses now and push off back to Exeter because you are doing your bit to alienate the fan base. Give us all a break, and give the man a chance.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

hector wrote: Why? Based on what? That he had a long throw?

Based on what do you believe he WON'T keep you up?

There is nothing to say either way.

He might , he might not.

You'll soon find out then you can claim the bragging rights which I'm sure Brucie will be first in the queue should it go terminally wrong. By the same token, if KN gets it right those who disagreed should equally come on, apologise for getting it wrong and give immense credit for an amazing job done by the board and KN.

One thing i'm sure of is that if KN gets it wrong the site's server will have a tricky time coping with demand.

If KN gets it right then the inactivity on this very same forum will be telling.

Added in 8 minutes 48 seconds:
All football forums are , are one-upmanship contests. Someone predicts doom and then when it happens they can't wait to come on and tell everyone what a hugely impressive penis they have and how their cranial abilities are akin to that of the aliens that created humans.

Someone predicts success and then when it happens they can't wait to tell those 'doubters' that they now have the larger member.

If you all worked together then you'd be unstoppable.

Humans eh? Ego's and stubbornness. You'll get nowhere.
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

brucie wrote:its just a piss poor appointment which will end up alienating our rapidly dwindling fanbase still further.
Brucie you are NOT one to moan about people alienating the fanbase. I will stick my neck out and say there have been hundreds of people who read these forums and see people like you posting and are deterred by your constant moaning. All it does is create a bad atmosphere and in which success cannot thrive.

I say either shut up and start being positive, or p*ss off altogether.
TUST Member 405