Hargreaves, Hodges and Veysey on Gardening leave

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Hargreaves, Hodges and Veysey on Gardening leave

Post by yeovilgull »

I have just seen on the club website that these three have been placed on gardening leave after refusing reduced contracts.
Not sure how this works as it presumably means we carry on paying them until their contracts expire or they move elsewhere.
The club have said they wish to move in a different direction.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Bit shocked by this. Not because I think Hargreaves deserved to stay as manager but financially isn't this going to cripple us even more? We still have to honour the trio's contracts unless they are hired elsewhere and now we have to pay to replace them (although I'm guessing we won't have the luxury of a new assistant).

Interesting decision. Would be nice to know who's calling the shots from the consortium - we don't even know who the chairman is yet but I suspect all will be revealed tomorrow. The communication from the club has already improved though - a significant update on the website on a Sunday and not a sniff of it being reported elsewhere before the news broke. And those 10 members certainly know how to keep a secret!

Kevin Nicholson player-manager anyone? :whistle:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

The only way that this isn't going to cost more, is if the new manager and coach (if there is one) are player-managers/coach or it is one of the consortium who takes over, such as Edwards, which would be worse than Hargreaves in my view.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Difficult to understand this move. Before they've even started the rebuilding process , the new consortium has burdened itself with a substantial outlay (I'd estimate in the region of £100k) with nothing to show for it.

Had the trio accepted the reduced terms, it would've made it cheaper for them to be sacked mid-season. Ultimately, the consortium must've been far from convinced that they were up to the task. Now we have a threadbare playing squad, no coaches and less money to work with. Interesting to see where we go from here.

I'd imagine cheap, inexperienced options like Steve Tully, Kevin Nicholson or Alex Russell will be the way they go for our next head coach. Or maybe Dean Edwards fancies being manager/chairman?!
SealeHayne23
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Young

Post by SealeHayne23 »

Going part time beckons
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Oh come on, don't get caught up in this reduced terms, offer some one a significantly reduced contract knowing full well they will not sign, end goal achieved, that doesn't take a lot of working out, gardening leave if I have understood it correctly, means they continue to earn their basic monthly salary, until a settlement, or they gain new employment, so effectively drip fed out of the club.

I am not shocked or surprised, been speculating about it for weeks, but I'm a no nothing halfwit :) , wrong appointment at the wrong time, Chris Hargreaves has done a terrible job, no longer will we have to watch the same ball into the box failed to be defended and end up in back of our net, no longer will we have watch the ball hoofed aimlessly around the pitch, nothing wrong with a long pass however, and I certainly will not miss the appalling excuses rolled out week and an out, I'm relieved by this news.

As for the new manager, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a manager with a proper CV at this level wasn't appointed, I doubt very much the new board are going appoint another inexperience manager with no clue, I'm expecting some who knows this division inside out, and can work with the reduced budget.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Will wait and see what happens next, but at this stage it's hard to understand how this will save money. Cutbacks are going to be severe it seems.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Assuming the board wanted to sack them, this makes sense. The cost is the same, but spread over 12 months, instead of a one off payment. You have to assume that if any of the three have any ambition to work again, they will look for alternative employment, and then leave for free.

Whether you think its a good or bad move, its good to see decisive action so quickly.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Exactly Kernow, and maybe this move is one, that's not designed to save money, well done to the new owners this smart move in by book.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Im very surprised at this. But as has been said maybe part time OR the 10 have a bit more money than we thought.

I agree please please no to Dean Edwards as manager that would not be good. Ok with Chairman or whatever but not manager.

Well decisive anyway!

Added in 1 minute 33 seconds:
The start of living within our means which will be good for the long term future
TUST MEMBER
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Somewhat surprised by this, and while I would be in favour of Hargreaves staying as manager, this could very well work out well in the long-run.
TUST member 203
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

TUST No 278
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Well this is all very exciting,after sticking with CH all last season and all his mistakes I thought he would have made a better fist of it this season,its a bit like training up someone and then sacking them just when you might reap the benefits.But the ten seem to have a plan,I hope it works as its their money.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

New owners, new manager. Nothing new in this as it happens regularly in football. CH probably not surprised by these developments either.
If the new owners are looking for a seasoned National League manager then Paul Cox mentioned recently might be the man.