Club Ownership

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
zoomed
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Club Ownership

Post by zoomed »

Once In A lifetime Opportunity

Dear Member...

Further to recent emails, discussions on the fans forums and press stories I would like to take this opportunity to clarify the current situation.

When I first took on the mantle of TUST I was asked a direct question by an existing member (Peter, Member No: 019) about my intentions and whether this was a ‘back door’ attempt by me to get ownership of the club? The first time I was introduced to Kelvin Thomas I was asked the direct question ”Do you want to take over the club”?

In both cases my truthful answer was no, and although contradictory, the statement on the website about the long term goal of TUST to seek eventual club ownership is true, but I qualify that statement by stating that when it was made it was with the expectation of success taking a number of years and certainly after my time as your Chairman. However the opportunity has presented itself and as the man at the wheel and I have put my personal views aside to pursue what I believe to be in the long term interests of the Club and its loyal supporters who as owners can bring the much needed stability that will ultimately delivers success.

It is important to understand that being an owner is not the same as running a club, and as the saying goes we need ’the right tools for the job’, and any plan for ownership would have to include the employment of a professional Chief Executive who will be responsible for the day to day running of the club.

The first part of my meeting with Kelvin last week was to establish the facts of Theas’ resignation and much reported offer regarding her shareholding. Kelvin made it immediately obvious exactly what was on offer and whilst respecting commercial confidentialities, I can report that not to have indicated to the Club the Trusts’ willingness to put forward a serious bid to take over the majority shareholding in Plainmoor Limited would in my opinion have been an act of ‘criminal’ negligence on my part.

As you would expect, the Trust had already considered a number of scenarios prior to the meeting but the generosity of Theas’ offer was a surprise that was neither anticipated nor planned for.

Following the meeting I spoke with the Trust Vice Chairman Robin (who was unfortunately absent due to illness) and we agreed that we would need to establish a plan post haste and not miss this opportunity to get the Club off the 'merry go round' of private ownership.

It is important to note that Kelvin has been quite clear about the fact the Club is talking to other interested parties and that the Trust is not yet the preferred bidder, although I hope that will change once our plan is finalised and we have a mandate from members.

We have already engaged Supporters Direct and commissioned them to help us to produce the first draft of our plan. The clock is ticking and we only have until the end of June to produce and get our offer accepted. The devil is in the detail but I have not seen anything that would make me think ‘we can’t do this’.

Supporters Direct have considerable experience and success helping fans achieve ownership of their clubs in considerably more testing environments. You can find out more information by following the link below.

http://clubdevelopment.coop

Below are our timescales;

1:Establish a working party with the right skills to drive the first stage - planning. (please see below).
2: First draft scheduled for publication to working party on Thursday 19th March for review/discussion.
3: Friday 20th March - Telephone conference with Supporters Direct to finalise plan.
4: W/C 24th March Supporters Direct will present plan to Kelvin Thomas (in USA) via email and Skype.
5: W/C 24th March working party to liaise with Supporters Direct to agree and finalise the plan.
6: W/C 31st March the plan will be presented to TUST MEMBERS who will be invited to vote.

HELP NEEDED
We urgently need 3 or 4 people with management skills, experience of marketing/media and communications, finance and company law/legal experience who can devote some time to this exciting opportunity… if you can help please email me ASAP.

TUST will always support any proposition that is in the long term interests of Torquay United, but the current offer on the table is what I believe to be a once in a lifetime opportunity for the supporters of Torquay United who need to step up, grasp this opportunity with both hands and take control of the destiny of their Club.

Passion and desire is not enough on its own… we need to demonstrate to the Club that we have a viable business plan which includes both management and finance, as well the support needed to make this work.

We currently have 133 members who are legally entitled to vote on the potential future of Torquay United.

I urge all supporters, friends and family of supporters and anyone else who cares about this valuable community asset to join TUST and show the Club the passion that will make our bid for club ownership the right choice.

COYY!
Kind Regards...
Michael...

[email protected]

http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/Join.aspx

KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

I support the idea of Torquay United Supporters Trust being on the board of the club and giving the viewpoint of the fans. I do not support the idea of TUST owning the club. The successfully trust owned clubs have a far bigger fanbase than ours. Whilst I do not have a crystal ball I do not believe this will work and thus cannot support a bid at the present time for TUST to own the club. With only 133 members it cannot sustain the expenditure required (the fact that Thea has racked up £3m of costs should tell everyone this).

I wish you success in assisting with the future of our club, but I cannot see how this plan for ownership at the current time is what the club needs
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

This seems completely ridiculous to me. You have 133 members, and you are appealing for people with legal knowledge etc etc.
How on earth can you expect to be taken seriously - how on earth do you expect to be the preferred bidder. You appear to be living on fantasy island.
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

You will need a least a 1000 supporters to start with not a paltry 113, by having only this amount does this not say something to you
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Having a 'Fans Representative' on the board is certainly a good idea, as it can keep the Directors up to speed with what fans think and would like at certain times - but do not expect them to listen or act for much/most of the time as it is their money that is involved!
That representative does not need to be a Director, but a selected member of the TUST who has the approval and permission of the Directors to be a board meetings/to be involved.

For the number of fans that the TUST has signed up to actually own/control/run the club is total pie in the sky!!
Not just regarding the finances which are totally out of reach - but also regarding the day to day running issues.

I suggest the Chairman of the TUST comes back down his step ladder and takes his head out of the clouds!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

My God

The levels of stupidity continue to amaze.

How about you both stop **** whinging about it and **** well join?!!

I'll tell you why, because it's easier to do nothing than something. Pathetic.

133 members is a start. As I've said for years, the apathy at TUFC is the reason why nothing can ever be achieved. All I've heard these past few months is fans lambasting the board, slagging off the team, panning CH and the odd complete cretin having the audacity to question the 'job' Thea has done! The minute an opportunity arises that may give you a chance to make sure this can't happen again in the future and a hundred and thirty three of you are the only ones arsed enough to do something positive!

Absolute madness.

Either strangers are going to come in and strip the lot down leaving you dead and buried OR the diseased board members who plan on taking back control of the club for a pittance are going to run the club into the ground because none of them know their **** arse from their elbow. On top of that they'll treat you all with contempt just as they always have.

These are the options.

A Saudi conglomerate willing to turn TUFC into a European footballing superpower aren't around the corner therefore if you all want a club to support in the near future may I kindly suggest doing something about it.

Join the trust in numbers, get your heads banged together and see this ship through to the other side or you're screwed.

As for Brucie. Just another uninspiring bloke who thinks the world owes him.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

BayGull wrote:Having a 'Fans Representative' on the board is certainly a good idea, as it can keep the Directors up to speed with what fans think and would like at certain times - but do not expect them to listen or act for much/most of the time as it is their money that is involved!
That representative does not need to be a Director, but a selected member of the TUST who has the approval and permission of the Directors to be a board meetings/to be involved.

For the number of fans that the TUST has signed up to actually own/control/run the club is total pie in the sky!!
Not just regarding the finances which are totally out of reach - but also regarding the day to day running issues.

I suggest the Chairman of the TUST comes back down his step ladder and takes his head out of the clouds!
The TUST chairman may have his head in the clouds but he's not sitting on his are picking his toenails and scrutinising every last bit of small print before pondering for the next 20 years whether to join is he? Sometimes you just have to **** well go for it. It's not ideal but it's an opportunity offered on a plate. They need help, help which I assumed would be forthcoming from the fan base. Take all the time you need people.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

was wondering where you'd got to Andy ! Hope you're enjoying Shaq Attack. You're right of course....1133 members would sound a lot better ! Still, numbers are slowly growing, & you never know.......
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

taxilady wrote:was wondering where you'd got to Andy ! Hope you're enjoying Shaq Attack. You're right of course....1133 members would sound a lot better ! Still, numbers are slowly growing, & you never know.......
Indeed I am relatively well Nina, thanks for asking. I trust you are too?

As for the Shaq, it came as as shock.

He made his York debut against Carlisle on Saturday but only got about half an hour. I thought he was a shoe in to start but hell what do I know? Excited though. Bobby has been pretty ropey in all honesty since he joined but shows his class in bursts. I honestly thought I would not see a worse team on a consistent basis than the Torquay side I watched so many times last season but hand on heart York are worse. Two home wins in all comps as we approach April.

Am I having fun? You bet!

Back in the groove like I'd never been away and getting involved and able to mutter incomprehensible noises to my fellow Yorkies that are completely understood and pass for conversation. It's great even if the football isn't. I've come to learn that at this level everyone is pretty much shit but it's all about not being as shit as the others and trying not to let the football get you down. I'd hazard a guess that the top half of the conference is better than the bottom half of league 2 by a country mile. Tranmere a few weeks back looked like 11 fenceposts all rooted in the wrong spots.

I just want Torquay to get themselves sorted out as it's heartbreaking to see the decay continuing. It was totally predictable though on and off the pitch, it's been coming. Like the deterioration unfolded in front of eyes but were powerless to stop it but now people have a chance to do something and change the course of the club in the other direction hopefully.

Good luck and look after yourself.
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: The TUST chairman may have his head in the clouds but he's not sitting on his are picking his toenails and scrutinising every last bit of small print before pondering for the next 20 years whether to join is he? Sometimes you just have to f**king well go for it. It's not ideal but it's an opportunity offered on a plate. They need help, help which I assumed would be forthcoming from the fan base. Take all the time you need people.
You really are as big an arse as 99% of the post on here think aren't you AAG.

The current board know darn well that the TUST have no chance of buying the club, which is why they will make all the right noises towards any reps from the TUST until a serious buyer(s) comes in with a serious money offer.

The TUST might as well consider suggesting to buy Ronaldo to win promotion back into the Football league.

IT AINT NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Why don't you and the rest of the MTW team all chip in and buy the club BayGull.

Can't be any worse than the jokers (Thaea not included) that currently "run" the club.

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Its sooooo easy to pick fault isn't it. And some of you do it day in day out. Im fedup with the whingers and moaners on here who offer no positive ideas AT ALL.

Moan moan moan. Bloody hell its tiresome!!

Im not a natural club / society / organisation member I can tell you but I decided to join to do something F*CKING positive.

These people who think they are always right, I would suggest do something and f8cking prove it! These people have a strategy. Predict doom and gloom (secretly wishing it doesn't happen). If doom and gloom happens they get a sense of satisfaction in it. If doom and gloom doesn't happen they keep quiet. Its because they lack any self confidence in themselves, and are probably not very successful in there lives. They cover both bases, so they think they win either way. And that gives them some achievement, PATHETIC!
TUST MEMBER
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

31st March is when fans belonging to TUST get a vote on viability, with Kelvin Thomas' and Supporters' Direct input throughout the process. Then is the time for proper assessment of any bid for me and thankfully I'll have a vote along with all other TUST members.

Looking at the SD link there do seem to be a number of innovative tools at the disposal of Supporters Direct to assist in what is needed to acquire capital. I know both the main political parties are looking to promote community ownership further, so perhaps even more will be available post election and for a number of years. Either way, Supporters Direct will have a fair idea of potential additional schemes already.

For those who are anti or concerned, it's probably also worth assessing what the Club's position is in negotiations with potential investors where there is a) a viable alternative being worked upon; b) proof of a monied supporter organisation with the capacity to assist any future owner with said money should they, the potential investor, desire that. I would contend that it might make a Hereford Utd. style investor think twice - as it is a supporter organisation - yet make a more 'fit for purpose' investor consider the huge potential benefits of that supporter base above any negatives.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

In my eyes joining the trust is the best course of action whatever side of the fence you sit on.

The only way to have a say in how they proceed in the future is to become a member, thus getting a vote.

This could be the biggest decision in the clubs history either way, can you afford to sit back and let others decide the fate of your club?

Just a reminder that it costs a paltry £24 a year to join. (less than 10p a day ;-) )
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

KeithMalone wrote:I support the idea of Torquay United Supporters Trust being on the board of the club and giving the viewpoint of the fans. I do not support the idea of TUST owning the club. The successfully trust owned clubs have a far bigger fanbase than ours. Whilst I do not have a crystal ball I do not believe this will work and thus cannot support a bid at the present time for TUST to own the club. With only 133 members it cannot sustain the expenditure required (the fact that Thea has racked up £3m of costs should tell everyone this).

I wish you success in assisting with the future of our club, but I cannot see how this plan for ownership at the current time is what the club needs
:goodpost:

I very much support a TUST member on a new board, I think its too much to assume total control now.

The TUST can build and have a greater role, thus increasing its statue and ultimately members.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!