Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Top 100 Torquay United Players

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Hi everyone,

I've decided to try and run a 'top 100 TUFC players' feature for the forum, whereby everybody chooses their top 10 players. I think it'll be interesting as there's a wide age range on here. It doesn't have to be players that you've seen, though obviously that'd make things a bit easier - but its your call.

What I want from you all is a ranked list (1 being best, 10th being 10th best) of who you think are the best players to pull on the yellow shirt. 1st place will get 10 points, 10th place will get 1 point. Hopefully we'll get enough interest in this to make 100 players, and create some good discussion along the way.

I'll set a deadline of New Year to get your lists in to me (by PM, obviously), so plenty of time for everyone to have a think about it!

Hopefully you'll all enjoy!

The results so far:

Joint 34th (1 point)

Chris Brandon, Clint Boulton, Morike Sako, Jean-Pierre Simb, Craig Taylor, Andy Marriott, Dean Sturridge

Joint 33rd (2 points)

Chima Okorie, Chris Zebroski, Robbie Herrera, Jon Gittens, Jo Kuffour, Eifion Williams

Joint 32nd (3 points)

Garry Nelson, Adebayo Akinfenwa, Derek Dawkins, Jimmy Aggrey

Joint 31st (4 points)

Tommy Northcott, Willie Brown, Mark Ellis, Micky Holmes, Brian Healy

30th (5 points)

Jason Roberts

Joint 29th (6 points)

Rene Howe, Reg Wyatt, Wayne Carlisle, Jim Fryatt, Jamie Ward

Joint 28th (7 points)

Darren Moore, Chris Myers

Joint 27th (8 points)

Terry Adlington, Ron Shaw

Joint 26th (9 points)

Ken Brown, Les Lawrence

Joint 25th (10 points)

Martin Gritton, Liam Rosenior, Guy Branston, Micky Cave, Kenny Allen

Joint 24th (11 points)

Paul Gibbs, Kenny Veysey

Joint 23rd (12 points)

Kevin Nicholson, Brian McGlinchey

Joint 22nd (13 points)

Wayne Thomas, Tom Kelly

Joint 21st (14 points)

Paul Holmes, John Benson, Jimmy Dunne, Colin Bettany

Joint 20th (16 points)

John Bond, Gregory Goodridge, Matt Elliott

19th (17 points)

Sammy Collins

18th (18 points)

Paul Dobson

17th (19 points)

Tony Bedeau

Joint 16th (20 points)

Lee Sharpe, Mark Loram

15th (23 points)

Dave Caldwell

14th (24 points)

Steve Woods

Joint 13th (26 points)

Lee Mansell, Andy Gurney

12th (28 points)

Chris Hargreaves

11th (30 points)

Jason Fowler

10th (32 points)

Don Mills

9th (33 points)

Neville Southall

8th (44 points)

Tim Sills

7th (64 points)

Robin Stubbs

6th (100 points)

Bobby Olejnik

5th (102 points)

Eunan O'Kane

4th (119 points)

Kevin Hill

3rd (153 points)

Alex Russell

2nd (157 points)

David Graham

1st (174 points)

Rodney Jack
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Great idea - I'll have a think based on those I have seen since my first ever game when we lost to Plymouth 4-0 at Plainmoor in March 2000.

Hopefully you'll get a lot of take up on this.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

AH HA, has some one taken over Nickgull's old account, or is that you Nick.. ;-)
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well Plymouth this will be quite difficult. I have been going to Plainmoor for 60 Years!!
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

... and I'll complete 64 years buy the end of this season so it should be very interesting (and difficult)! I'll have to start thinking as there are so many very good players over that period of time.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

A couple of lists in so far, and it's already quite interesting to see them! Be great for this to get a good uptake guys so if you have got some spare time then get a list in!

:)
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I've put mine in... predictable heroes and one or two less expected tufc personalities on the list
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Bet you all missed out gary brabin
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Keep 'em coming guys!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I'll make sure The Fridge gets my 10 points!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Can't decide whether Jean-Pierre Simb should be number 46 or 47.......it's him or Mario Walsh.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Ha, you only need to give me your top 10 - I'll do the rest! :)
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Thought I would share my list and some of the reasons ;-)

1. Kevin Hill
Kevin gets my top spot for both longevity and performance. Whilst I never felt he was the most gifted of players, his consistent 100% application and willingness to fill in all over the place for the team (was there anywhere he didn't play at some point?) makes him a true club legend.

2. Bobby Olejnik
Not much to say, the greatest keeper that I have seen at this level, period.

3. David Graham
Even though I HATED his awful work rate, one of the most talented footballers to grace Plainmoor. He could do things with the ball that others couldn't, and was a major factor in the magic of Leroy's great team.

4. Alex Russell
Another of that golden squad, Alex gets in so high on the list purely because he ran the midfield that produced such a fluid, attractive style of football.

5. Steve Woods
Perhaps controversial, but I had to include Steve Woods simply because his is a style of defending I have only ever seen in much higher leagues; he had an ability to defend and then distribute the ball with as much ability as any midfielder.

6. Rene Howe
Yes, he left us blah blah blah, but he carried an entire team of very average players. Very different to David Graham, but similar in that he could create something from very little.

7. Tim Sills
Sills gets in for the talismanic status he earned during his time firing us back to the Football League, the man in the mask was an inspirational figure.

8. Eunan O'Kane
A player obviously destined for several levels above us, a very exciting player. The two goals against Argyle seal it.

9. Jo Kuffour
Possibly the single most exciting player I have personally seen at Torquay, he was tireless in hassling and could beat his man with ease. Whilst he was short, he also seemed to have a knack of knowing exactly where the ball was going to come down and pinching it.

10. Chris Brandon
Though it was a short time he was with us, his flair and ability to ghost past people has always made him stick out in my mind. Often forgotten about.

Honourable mentions have to go to Matt Hockley, Guy Branston, and more or less every member of Leroy's promotion winning side, what a squad we had!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Just sent mine over, I imagine there is one on mine which will not be on anyone elses.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Had a good number of lists over the weekend! Keep 'em coming though, be really nice to get 100 different names aswell! :)