Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Another player to pick up 4 points was…

Micky Holmes

Time spent at club: 1990-1991
Gulls Appearances: 40
Gulls Goals: 3

Micky is another that I struggled to find a photo for, so again I've had to go without. The winger started his career at Bradford City in 1984, making just five appearances before going on to Wolves. His time at Molineux was a success, making over 80 appearances as the club won the Division 4 title and the Sherpa Van Trophy. He was released in 1988 and went on to have a short spell at both Huddersfield and Cambridge. In 1989 he joined Rochdale, making over 50 appearances for the Spotland outfit. After Rochdale, he joined Torquay, and was part of the promotion winning side in 1991. He spent just one year in Devon, before making the move north to Carlisle. His professional career ended at Northampton, after being injured in a car crash.

More recently, Holmes has teamed up with another former Gull, Matt Elliott, and together they coach Oadby Town.
Bristolgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Sir Rodney

Post by Bristolgull »

Enjoying this PG, thanks for the effort. Wish I had voted now, wonder if Jose luis mateu pinto is going to make the top 10?

Seems a shame for Micky not to have his photo here, I think it's him lying on the ground below Deano isn't it?
Attachments
image.jpg
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

I think that's the other Holmes on the ground, Paul Holmes?

Interesting to see Mark Ellis included, I always preferred Chris Robertson myself, wonder if he gained any votes?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

A J wrote:I think that's the other Holmes on the ground, Paul Holmes?

Interesting to see Mark Ellis included, I always preferred Chris Robertson myself, wonder if he gained any votes?
Yes - that's Paul Holmes. I think Mark Ellis deserves to be in the top 100. But if he's got four votes, Robbo and Guy Branson should get at least five votes ! Going back to another central defender - Jimmy Aggrey. I wasn't aware he left under any sort of a cloud. He was a fans favourite as he played to the crowd but I don't think he was a particularly good defender. He left soon after McFarland arrived at Plainmoor. McFarland didn't rate him and once said 'he didn't even play well in the pre-match warm up'. I'd overlooked Willie Brown. Hard to believe it's over 30 years ago he played for us. Deserves his votes - he was a good finisher.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Plymouth Gull wrote:I'm glad people are enjoying the feature! Moving on, the second player who picked up four points was another striker who played in the second half of the 20th century. It's…

Willie Brown

Time spent at club: 1975-1978
Gulls Appearances: 139
Gulls Goals: 47

As with Jean Pierre Simb, I struggled to find a photo of this former Gull, so I've decided to go without one. Brown started his career at Burnley as a 17 year old in 1967, making a single appearance for the Lancashire outfit. In 1969 he joined Carlisle, where he scored 8 times in 19 appearances. On top of this, he spent some of the 69/70 season on loan at Barrow, where he found the net once in six games. After one season with the Cumbrians, Brown moved on to Newport, where he made nearly 170 appearances. He found the net 50 times over his four seasons with the Welsh outfit. In 1974 he spent some time on loan at Hereford, scoring 6 in 9 games. Willie then spent a year at Brentford, again having a decent scoring record of 9 in 16 for the Bees. In 1975, he joined Torquay for a fee of £5,000. He became a hit at Plainmoor over 3 years, scoring close to a half-century of goals for the club.

In 1978, Brown left league football. Later, he continued his involvement in football, holding the role of commercial manager at Minehead.

For a short while after leaving the full time game, Willie Brown was steward at Ellacombe Conservative Club. :clap:

I've heard on the grapevine, a gang from Ellacombe including some who are still left upright standing, will be attending the F.U. of Manchester game and will be in one those viewing boxes in the Family Stand. I'm to understand that some of the dodgy characters haven't viewed a game from that end since the Cowshed/Mini Stand era. Behaving and watching a game properly instead of fighting with opposition supporters and Police will be a whole new experience for most of them. I've heard some have got an arrest sheet longer than the long arm of the law. Grandads, eh? They do like to drone on about the good old bad days. Rumour has it they will be attending under the tribute moniker of "Willie Brown's Boys". If (if?) they are as foul mouthed as that Irish fella dressed up as a grandma then it should prove to be an interesting afternoon.

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The final player to pick up four points on the list was another man who I believe wore the captains armband during his spell at Plainmoor. It's…

Brian Healy

Time spent at club: 1998-2001
Gulls Appearances: 63
Gulls Goals: 11

Healy started his career at West Auckland, before spells with Billingham Town and Bishop Auckland. He played a key role as Bishop reached the second round of the FA Cup in 1989. In 1993 he joined Gateshead, making around a dozen appearances for the Heed. Brian moved to Spennymoor United, where he stayed for 3 years, before he moved to Morecambe. During his spell with the Shrimps, he was in the Conference Team of the Year on two occasions. His performances made Torquay splash £25,000 on his signature, giving him his first opportunity in pro football.

Healy made his debut on 28th December 1998, and was soon appointed club captain by Wes Saunders. Unfortunately injury played a key role in his spell at United, as he missed the whole 2000/01 season. Upon his return, he found that he hardly featured in Roy McFarland's plans, and he was released in December 2001. Healy had trials with Hull and Hartlepool, but nothing came of either visit. Eventually he joined Darlington on a month to month basis. Nothing came of this, and he left to have spells with Bishop Auckland again, also managing them from 2005-2007.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Really surprised by Healy getting 4 votes to be honest. I didn't think much of him as a player.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Some of these selections, I can hardly remember this bloke.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I thought he was a good player, shame he got injured as he was a handy passer of the ball. Surprised he only played professionally for us and a short spell at Darlo. Wouldn't be close to my top ten, but a decent player none the less
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Well if that is the last of the players with 4 votes, and only one of my selection has featured so far (Tommy Northcott with 4), my selection must have been utterly predictable! ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

stefano wrote:Well if that is the last of the players with 4 votes, and only one of my selection has featured so far (Tommy Northcott with 4), my selection must have been utterly predictable! ;-)
Clearly dominated by old people....

:)

Actually, only one of mine has appeared so far too.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

There was just one player to pick up five points on the list, and although this Gull didn't play many games for the club, it isn't difficult to see why he got mentioned as he went on to have a career much better than Division 4 football. It's…

Jason Roberts

Time spent at club: 1997-1998
Gulls Appearances: 15
Gulls Goals: 6

Jason Roberts' career started in the non-league with a spell at Hayes, before Wolves signed him for £250,000. In 1997, Torquay managed to get the striker down to Plainmoor on loan, and he proved an instant hit, scoring 6 in 14 league appearances. Roberts formed a great partnership with Rodney Jack, and the two partnered upfront as the Gulls pushed on towards automatic promotion. During Roberts' short run at Plainmoor, United managed 8 successive wins, lifting them right into the promotion race. Unfortunately Roberts left the club after that 8-match run, in which he'd managed to find the net four times. United suffered a final day defeat where just a point would have been enough to seal automatic promotion. The season concluded with a Wembley defeat to Colchester, but had Roberts stayed down south, it looks like it could have been so different. Jason spent the final two months of the 97/98 campaign at Bristol City, making a handful of appearances.

That summer Bristol Rovers paid £250,000 for his services, and he scored around 40 goals for the Pirates, who eventually sold him for £2m to West Bromwich Albion. Having missed out on promotion to the top flight in his first season, it was second time lucky for Albion and Roberts. Unfortunately he struggled in the top flight, netting just three times. A loan spell at Portsmouth followed, before Wigan signed him. He and Nathan Ellington combined to awesome effect as the Latics reached the Premier League in 2005. It didn't stop there, as his goals helped Wigan finish mid-table and reach the Carling Cup Final in 2006. Wigan eventually sold the striker to Blackburn for £3m, where he stayed for six years, making over 100 appearances. He ended his career at Reading in the Championship, and has more recently moved into punditry.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Yes Jason Roberts was in my thoughts but did not make my list. The only reason was the very short time he was with us on loan. Things definitely would have been different if he had stayed. The annoying bit was that the Wolves recalled him and then immediately loaned him out again. I've always had a soft spot for the Wolves .... but you can go off people! ;-)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Moving on to the players that managed to pick up 6 points. The list is really starting to push on now, and we still have 50 names left to appear so it's hopefully going to get interesting now! Personally, I'm a bit surprised this man picked up as many points as he did, but he did make a big impression in what was a successful few years for the club. It's…

Rene Howe

Time spent at club: 2011-2013
Gulls Appearances: 89
Gulls Goals: 30

Rene Howe is the epitome of a journeyman striker. His career started at Kettering, before Peterborough signed him after proving he can do the business in the non-league scene, scoring 25 in 40 matches for the side. Having made the move to London Road, Rene struggled to make an impression on the first team, and was loaned out all over the shop. Loan spells included Rochdale, Morecambe, Lincoln, Gillingham, Rushden & Diamonds and Bristol Rovers. After finishing at Rovers, who were relegated from League One that season, Howe left Posh to join Torquay on a free signing. He was one of Martin Ling's first signings as new boss at Plainmoor, having agreed a two-year deal.

Howe's history didn't really give Gulls fans much confidence as he had never settled in the Football League, but Howe didn't disappoint, scoring 30 goals over his two seasons at the club. He introduced himself to the Yellow Army with two goals in the first two league games, against Burton, and then against Paul Buckle's Bristol Rovers side at the Memorial Stadium. In his first season, Rene led the line superbly in Martin Ling's 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation, and the club so nearly reached League One, but for a collapse in the last four games. The playoffs saw us get outdone by Cheltenham over two legs.

Ling couldn't keep hold of key players that summer, and the second season for Rene was a struggle. Eventually, after 5 months of turmoil off the pitch, United staved off relegation to keep their league status. Rene left that summer to join Burton Albion on a free. Since then, he has joined Newport County, where he currently plays.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

I think I would've included Rene (had I voted). Being a younger fan there's not many great strikers, and I know Rene left with a lot of fans disappointed at his decision, but he did his job as a striker pretty well, could put the ball in the back of the net easily. I still remember the comeback against Aldershot where he scored from outside the box to make it 4-3!