Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Indeed, makes you wonder what could have been if Buckle hadn't been working for Rovers during our playoff campaign, eh?!

Anyway, moving on again. Still on players with two points, this man is still well-known in Devon, as he still works for the club in a coaching capacity. It's..

Robbie Herrera

Time spent at club: 1992-1993, 1998-2001
Gulls Appearances: 136
Gulls Goals: 3

Robbie Herrera actually started his career as a schoolboy at Plainmoor, before moving to QPR as a trainee. He went on to make 6 appearances for the Loftus Road outfit, before he was sent out on loan to Plainmoor at the back end of the 1992/93 season. He made 11 appearances, and must have made a good impression as he was signed again on loan the following season. This spell was a bit shorter, and he made only 5 appearances for United before returning to QPR's reserves. In October 1993, Herrera left QPR for London rivals Fulham, who paid £60,000 for his services. He went on to make nearly 150 appearances for the Cottagers, over nearly 5 years.

Robbie returned to Devon and Torquay United in 1998, for a fee of £30,000. In just over three years at the club, Herrera made 120 appearances in the Gulls defence, eventually leaving in October 2001, not long after our survival mission at Barnet. He then had a months contract at Leyton Orient, but nothing more came of it, before Herrera flitted around the non-league scene in Devon.

Now, he works at the club with the first and youth teams, and is heavily linked with the College Partnership the club has with Paignton Community College.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Come on, Plmouthgull - don't keep us in suspense ! No update since the 14th ? Craig Taylor, Chris Zebroski and Andy Marriott good contenders but not sure about Dean Sturridge or Chima Okerie as they only played 10 & 14 matches respectively for us. Craig Taylor is a good choice - solid and reliable central defender. Slipped under the radar because he didn't have the personality of, say, Mr Branston. He's not a player who springs readily to mind although he deserves to be.
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

Wasn't the remit: "who you think are the best players to pull on the yellow shirt" so therefore it is unlikely that any player who was particularly good will have clocked up too many appearances as they will have been cherry picked by clubs further up the league structure fairly quickly!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

You're right tomo, I forgot all about Craig Taylor, good player and worthy of a place on the list. Can't comment on Chima or Sturridge, before I got into the yellows really. Who's next PlymouthGull?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Sorry, busy few days! I agree - I can confirm that the list starts taking a bit more shape soon though :). I agree with Taylor, certainly one of the better centre halves I've seen us have I think.

Anywayyyyyy, we're still on the players that received two points. It's…

Jon Gittens

Time spent at club: 1996-1998
Gulls Appearances: 88
Gulls Goals: 11

Jon Gittens started his career at Paget Rovers as a youngster. He was signed by Southampton in 1985 for £10,000. He made 18 league starts, before moving to Swindon for £40,000. In 1991 he was resigned by Southampton for £400,000. A change of manager at the Dell saw Gittens' chances limited, and he moved to Middlesbrough - first on loan before sealing a £350,000 move. He was at Middlesbrough for a year, before he moved back south, this time to Portsmouth. After 3 years and 99 appearances, he left Fratton Park and joined Torquay for free.

Gittens stayed at Plainmoor for two years, managing 33 appearances in his first season before playing 55 times in 1997/98, as the club lost in the playoff final at Wembley. His career in TQ1 started in rather bizarre circumstances, as he apparently punched West Ham defender Florian Raduciocu in a pre-season friendly, gaining him national attention. Gittens finished as the clubs Player of the Year in 1998, despite giving away the penalty which resulted in a 1-0 defeat to Colchester at Wembley.

Gittens left that summer, joining Exeter City, where he made over 80 appearances. His career ended with spells at Nuneaton and Dorchester.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I've been waiting for Jon Gittens, slightly surprised another board member voted for him but pleased! Great player in the 97/98 season.

Keep em coming Plymouthgull. Great thread!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

None of my ten yet. Hope I posted my list to the right address! ;-)
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

Pleased to see Craig Taylor get some good words, it was myself who earned him his point in this poll. I know David Graham and Alex Russell get a lot of the plaudits for the automatic promotion season, but it was our defensive record that actually pipped Huddersfield on goal difference, and Craig Taylor was a great leader that season, also it was his return from injury that played a big part in the great escape under Ian Atkins.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Another player to pick up two points was actually one of the most exciting players I got to watch in my earlier years at Plainmoor. Who could forget this guy in that excellent 2003/04 season? It's..

Jo Kuffour

Time spent at club: 2002-2006
Gulls Appearances: 159
Gulls Goals: 33

Jo started his career as a youngster at Arsenal, but never made a first team appearance for the Gunners. His first professional game came in a loan move at Swindon in 2001, where he played 11 times, finding the net twice. He moved to Plainmoor on a free transfer in October 2002, making his Gulls debut in a 4-1 home defeat against Hull City. His first goal came in a 5-0 rout of Boreham Wood in the FA Cup 1st Round. In 2002/03, he made over 30 appearances, showing how important he was considering he signed two months into the campaign. It was the following year where he really made an impression, hitting double figures as United won promotion. His ability to partner David Graham up front, or dominate the wing, made him hugely popular among Gulls fans. I can always remember seeing Jo bang in the last minute winner away at Swansea's Vetch Field in a 2-1 win in February 2004 - one of my overriding memories of the lad in a yellow shirt.

Kuffour stayed at Plainmoor until 2006, when, despite agreeing a new deal, he left to follow Leroy to Brentford. He lasted a season at Griffin Park, before joining Bournemouth. Again, that was for just one campaign. In 2008 he joined Bristol Rovers, where he stayed for four years, making over 130 appearances. Since leaving the Memorial Stadium, Kuffour has had spells with Gillingham and Wycombe. Currently, the attacker is without a club (sign him up!!).
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

kuffour was perfect alongside Graham. I remember a great goal they scored (can't remember who against) where Graham was running across the penalty area, then back heeled the ball through to kuffour between 2 defenders and he slid it home. Great option up top, and worked well with Gritton too i recall.

Smarter version of Rodney Jack, though slightly slower.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The final player to pick up two points was another attacker, and another relatively recent Gulls. It's…

Eifion Williams

Time spent at club: 1999-2002
Gulls Appearances: 118
Gulls Goals: 24

Eifion Williams joined Torquay United from his home-country, Welsh side Barry Town. The attacker cost the Gulls a then club-record breaking fee of £70,000 (only Leon Constantine and Billy Bodin have beaten/equalled it :'( ). He joined after four years of playing in the Welsh leagues, two for Caernarfon Town and two for Barry. In those years, he nearly averaged a goal a game, which won him the move to the English pyramid. Williams made a great first impression, scoring a hat-trick at home to Hartlepool United - the same game that Jean-Pierre Simb made his debut for United. After that, some fellow players (Neville Southall) was quoted as saying he could go all the way to the top, which heaped a lot of pressure on Williams.

Injuries had affected his spell at Plainmoor, and he played through a broken toe for part of the 2000/01 season. By the time November came around, Williams wanted a move away, and he got it - going to Hartlepool for £30,000. His spell at Hartlepool was much better, scoring over 50 goals in over 200 appearances. Williams got called up for Wales after a successful season in League One, but injuries prevented him from making his national debut. He joined Wrexham after leaving Hartlepool, but didn't make many appearances for the Red Dragons. Williams' final league match came in November 2007, in a 1-0 win over Bury.

He has retired, and since come out of retirement to play for Jarrow Roofing in the North East Northern League Division One.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Eifion Williams got two votes? I despair.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

madgull wrote:Eifion Williams got two votes? I despair.
Very similar player to Bodin-plenty of potential but rarely delivered.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

For most of us, football is about moments. Moments of joy amongst the abyss of disappointment. Unless you support a big club who win trophies regularly, moments are all we have. I've been a Gull for 20 odd years and have seen 1 automatic promotion and 2 play off wins. Therefore its individual moments that make it worthwhile, and I remember 3 Eiffion Williams moments with great clarity. The hattrick on debut, two goals in injury time against Blackpool after coming on as a sub to win 2-1 when we were battered all game, and a goal away against Plymouth when we were 2-0 down to help us draw 2-2. Can't remember if it was the equaliser or the first, Kevin Hill got the other. Those moments make him worthy of inclusion in my book. I didn't vote for him myself, but worthy none the less.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Kernowgull wrote:For most of us, football is about moments. Moments of joy amongst the abyss of disappointment. Unless you support a big club who win trophies regularly, moments are all we have. I've been a Gull for 20 odd years and have seen 1 automatic promotion and 2 play off wins. Therefore its individual moments that make it worthwhile, and I remember 3 Eiffion Williams moments with great clarity. The hattrick on debut, two goals in injury time against Blackpool after coming on as a sub to win 2-1 when we were battered all game, and a goal away against Plymouth when we were 2-0 down to help us draw 2-2. Can't remember if it was the equaliser or the first, Kevin Hill got the other. Those moments make him worthy of inclusion in my book. I didn't vote for him myself, but worthy none the less.
Although memory is affected by the aging process and the Cornish air! ;-)

The Blackpool game we were 2-1 down as the game reached added time, then Williams notched 2 for a 3-2 win.

The Argyle game, our first goal was a spectacular headed own goal and our second was a penalty in the last minute. Can't remember if Williams took it or not mind, so the aging process and the South Hams air is getting to me too! ;-)