Goalkeeping position....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Gloster, that is, visually at least, an utter abortion of a post, but I'll forgive you because of the absolutely correct musings on Mikkel Anderson.

I went stand in the away end with the Brizzle Rovers (or City, whichever) fans at the filth near the end of last season. Ma and I got chatting to a nice fella who turned out to be a WO2 in the army stationed in Germany. He was back on leave and made the trip down. Anyway, we're watching the match and the teams are kicking the 'right' way, so the Brizzle keeper is at our end first half. Suddenly I get a spark of recognition and ask Ma and the WO who he is. Immediately the name comes forth of Mikkel Anderson and I almost died laughing. Anyway, it turns out that he is, as correctly observed by Gloster, an excellent stopper now and well worth his place in a good team. The Brizzle fans love him and there was sod all he could do about the near post header which won the game for the filth (and kept them up) in the 1287th minute of added time.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Andersen was quickly given a new contract up at Readig because he'd gone away with Denmark u21s and been the player of the tournament in the Toulon u21 tournament. They had a host of European clubs after him.

At the time when Andersen and Ricey were here, they were young lads chucked into a team that was starting to wobble. They expected Ricey who is 5'9/5'10 to come and dominate his area like rayner 6'6. My concern with Potter is they'll expect the same again. Potter has been round the block a few more times so I doubt it would phase him. It affected Martin at the time. He's doing really well again now and I expect he'll be back at BSP level again sometime soon. He's a much better keeper than Rayner, who other than being really tall was absolute crap and made one or two mistakes that were 100times worse than anything Rice did.

Similar with Andersen just a complete lack of experience in playing first team football. His fragile confidence was shattered at Grays and completely gone after Aldershot. Was no way back.

Just keep an eye out for Andersen that's all I'll say, we all thought/think the guy is useless just wait and see where this fella ends up!!

Can't buy experience as a keeper.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Danny Potter. 3 games; 3 clean sheets. Impressive. However, last night showed to me one big worrying thing in his game.

His inability to come off his line for set pieces. I feel we got a tad fortunate that Branston was inspired last night - he and Robbo rarely put a foot wrong. But I worried with every corner/freekick in our half. He was stationery, on his line. I'm sure, if he jumps and puts his arms up, he's able to catch the ball ahead of everybody else?!? He isn't that small!

Really worried me last night, as I felt we could easily have conceded at any set-piece. Once a team gets wise to it, all they need to do is put balls into the 6-yard box, then all sorts could happen! Southend will be much more difficult on Saturday, and with players like Barry Corr, Anthony Grant and co, they have plenty of height, which worries me..
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:Danny Potter. 3 games; 3 clean sheets. Impressive. However, last night showed to me one big worrying thing in his game.

His inability to come off his line for set pieces. I feel we got a tad fortunate that Branston was inspired last night - he and Robbo rarely put a foot wrong. But I worried with every corner/freekick in our half. He was stationery, on his line. I'm sure, if he jumps and puts his arms up, he's able to catch the ball ahead of everybody else?!? He isn't that small!

Really worried me last night, as I felt we could easily have conceded at any set-piece. Once a team gets wise to it, all they need to do is put balls into the 6-yard box, then all sorts could happen! Southend will be much more difficult on Saturday, and with players like Barry Corr, Anthony Grant and co, they have plenty of height, which worries me..
Pleased with the talisman effect wizard Potter together with LRT have had on our recent results. Pokey wasn't too strong on crosses either and neither was his dead ball kicking good. That said, what a shot stopper. What crosses Potter did take he took cleanly. The former semi pro goalkeeper now living in Hampshire will verify that a vocal keeper quick off his line is the spare defender (sweeper) behind the back four. Potter against Burton was certainly quick off his line and in my opinion quicker than Bevs has been of late.

I'm sure the coaching staff will bring Potter up to speed on taking crosses under pressure and of course, the more run of games he gets the more confident he will become.

It's good to see competition for places as we push on for a top 7 position.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I think we'll see Bevan back in on Saturday now. It sounded like Potter was poor coming for crosses and didn't control the area, which put us under more and more pressure.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Given Accys liking for plenty of crosses/long balls into the box, I would be astounded is Scotty is still on the bench on Saturday...
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Mentioned this on the other thread. Bevan is an exception to the rule. You don't get many Goalies that are 6'5/6'6. You can't compare him on crosses to Potter. Tonights 1st goal Bevan probably would have done better with it, Potts did what he could, he maybe could have tried punching it with two hands to get some more distance on it, but he was surrounded by bodies. It was an awful ball to deal with.

I went to Cheltenham last year, Bevan was beaten by a cross that lobbed him and went in. Who kows how he would have dealt with that ball. he had a similar ish situation at HEreford where there were lots of bodies between him and the ball, he tried to catch it, dropped it and they scored.

Other than that Potts was fine, made 1 good save to cover BRanston's mistake. If Bevs comes back in then that's fine but I think it would be harsh on Danny to lose his place because of that.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I feel dropping Potter would be a little harsh. He played alright today. Made a few good saves which bevs maybe wouldnt have done so well on. There 1st goal potter should have done better. But they both are good at diffrent things. I feel Potter offers the team more from his all round keeping.
Considering bevs isnt the greatest at crosses and hes a good foot taller than potter.
Talk about keeping how bad was there keeper on dannys goal. I would rather have martin rice in goal than him.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agree these two keepers have different strenghts ,i thought Potter made have been fouled for there first goal,however Bevan no doubt would have caught the ball,on the flip side twice in the first half Potter had to be quick off his line to block,something that Bevan does not do so well.

Agree with Brett,Potter is the better all round keeper did not do much wrong tonight i.m.o,stick with him for the moment.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Ok, different question - both keepers are out of contract in the summer (I'm pretty sure) - who would you give a new contract to, both, neither or just one?
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It isn't even a close call for me. Potter isn't in the same league as Bevan as a keeper.

His decision-making is poor, his command of the box even worse and even his much lauded "distribution" isn't that great. He reminds me of Rice, simply not good enough.

All keepers make mistakes but poor keepers make basic mistakes throughout a game, I saw that from Potter against Cheltenham just as I've seen it at Swindon and just as I've seen it in the other three games I've seen him play.

Pull out all the stops and get Poke back in the summer, rebuild his confidence and we'll have a great keeper for this level.
Dave

Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Just seen the highlight (lowlights) from Tuesday evening.
Shocking display by Mr Potter I'm afraid - reminded me of playing in goal as a kiddy.
I will be shocked if both Bevan and Ellis will be back on Saturday
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Southampton Gull wrote:It isn't even a close call for me. Potter isn't in the same league as Bevan as a keeper.

His decision-making is poor, his command of the box even worse and even his much lauded "distribution" isn't that great. He reminds me of Rice, simply not good enough.

All keepers make mistakes but poor keepers make basic mistakes throughout a game, I saw that from Potter against Cheltenham just as I've seen it at Swindon and just as I've seen it in the other three games I've seen him play.

Pull out all the stops and get Poke back in the summer, rebuild his confidence and we'll have a great keeper for this level.
Agreed'

PB's come a long way in my regard recently, I just hope he sees the light and reinstates Bevan ASAP and we don't get the stuborness we've seen in the past with regard to dropping players he's brought in, costing us points.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I remember saying on here and in private how I was looking forward to seeing the real Paul Buckle managing the team without interference from a certain someone. Like you he's gone way upwards in my estimation and I think he's doing a fantastic job. He also seems to be winning over the majority of other fans too and probably has more support and goodwill than he's ever had in his time with us.

I think he's astute enough to know where the mistakes were made in the Cheltenham game and change the team accordingly. His signings of late have really impressed me and I'm looking forward to seeing who else he brings in and who he decides to ship out.
Dave

Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Southampton Gull wrote:I remember saying on here and in private how I was looking forward to seeing the real Paul Buckle managing the team without interference from a certain someone. Like you he's gone way upwards in my estimation and I think he's doing a fantastic job. He also seems to be winning over the majority of other fans too and probably has more support and goodwill than he's ever had in his time with us.

I think he's astute enough to know where the mistakes were made in the Cheltenham game and change the team accordingly. His signings of late have really impressed me and I'm looking forward to seeing who else he brings in and who he decides to ship out.
Amen to that.

I think I've got over the misery of Cheltenham now. I guess as much as we want it, we are never going to win every game. Tuesday was one of those days when any little mistake we made was punished, rather like Morecambe away. There will be days like that - unfortunately it seems to go with the territory of being a TUFC fan that we get more days like that than when the boot is on the other foot. Although it was 2 points dropped, the table still looks good. Results go our way over the weekend and Tuesday and we could be sat in 5th place and within striking distance of the top 3 (he says without looking at either the table or fixtures........ :-/ )

I'll look forward to seeing any forthcoming movement in the transfer market - any inside info?

An for what its worth, I think we should recall Bevan for the weekend, but Robertson has been doing a stirling job so should keep his place.