Goalkeeping position....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Goalkeeping position....

Post by royalgull »

Interesting one to see what happens Saturday.

Potter has come in for whatever reason be it his kicking like suggested, and has kept a clean sheet in a winning team.

Not sure on Bucks policy but one I've always personally believed in is you dont' change a winning team.

Bevs wasn't dropped more rested and because of the conditions, he's been very very good this year, does he come back in Saturday? Be tough on Potts, although I suppose it may have been seen as tough on Bevs not to play Saturday in the first place.

It's an interesting one for Saturday that's for sure.

Who plays?

Personally I don't really mind pretty much full confidence in the pair of them.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

The last 4 times I have seen Potter play (twice for Torquay and three times for Cambridge against Torquay) he has not put a foot wrong. In fact the two league games he played in our final conference season he was quite superb/

I feel he should continue on Saturday. Scotts concentratiuon has not been what it should be in recent weeks and he needs a few games break IMO
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

royalgull wrote:Interesting one to see what happens Saturday.

Potter has come in for whatever reason be it his kicking like suggested, and has kept a clean sheet in a winning team.

Not sure on Bucks policy but one I've always personally believed in is you dont' change a winning team.

Bevs wasn't dropped more rested and because of the conditions, he's been very very good this year, does he come back in Saturday? Be tough on Potts, although I suppose it may have been seen as tough on Bevs not to play Saturday in the first place.

It's an interesting one for Saturday that's for sure.

Who plays?

Personally I don't really mind pretty much full confidence in the pair of them.

:O :no:

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

You don't think Bevan has been good this year?

My flabber has just been gasted.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

MidDevon wrote:The last 4 times I have seen Potter play (twice for Torquay and three times for Cambridge against Torquay) he has not put a foot wrong. In fact the two league games he played in our final conference season he was quite superb/

I feel he should continue on Saturday. Scotts concentratiuon has not been what it should be in recent weeks and he needs a few games break IMO
Make your mind up Mid :na: :na:

Seriously though, I would say we are a bit spoilt in the GK area. Bevs is better on catching crosses in the 6 yard box, Alfie is probably better at coming off his line and also at distribution. Either way, they're both good quality keepers at this level.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

It's been a long time simce I did maths at Skool !!!
crazyfool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek 'The Dude'

Post by crazyfool »

... and English?? ;-)

Everyone knows it's maffs!!!
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

HELP Mods....I am getting bullied! :whip:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I have allways believed that Bevan and Potter were in a sense joint number one keepers,they both bring different strenghts though,Bevan as we all know has the hight advantage and is often as good as a third centre back with high balls in to our box,Potter is the better kicker no doubt,is more agile specialy to the bottom corners where Bevan has beaten to easliy a few times this season.

For me this is a difficult decision,Potter did not have that much to do saturday,and bevan has played well for us this season,for me stick with Bevan purley because at this stage of the season and the fact that the team are by no means out of the play-offs,bringing in a keeper who has not had many games over the last two seasons is nto the right thing to do in my opinion.

Large part of goalkeeping is confidence,potter has allways impressed me playing against torquay,and who can forget that save he made from Nicky Wroe half way line shot,however iam not sure where potters confidence is after a lack of games.
Formerly known as forevertufc
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

I think we have been blessed with good goalkeepers over the years, ever since Buckle took over, never had a dodgy keeper (apart from that one we got from reading?, made that aldershot howler) we had poke, bevan, potter, and rayner. Rayner the worst out of those 4. Id say Bevan is a better keeper than potter, marginally, but id like us to keep potter, in case of an injury and the same sort of situation against stockport rises again.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

YellowMurphy wrote:I think we have been blessed with good goalkeepers over the years, ever since Buckle took over, never had a dodgy keeper (apart from that one we got from reading?, made that aldershot howler) we had poke, bevan, potter, and rayner. Rayner the worst out of those 4. Id say Bevan is a better keeper than potter, marginally, but id like us to keep potter, in case of an injury and the same sort of situation against stockport rises again.
Martin Rice ?

Tim Sills (in goal against Forest Green Rovers) ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Trojan 67 wrote: Martin Rice ?

Tim Sills (in goal against Forest Green Rovers) ?
Rice was the crap one which I forgot. Sills, if only i seen that game.....
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

YellowMurphy wrote:never had a dodgy keeper (apart from that one we got from reading?, made that aldershot howler)
Mikkel Anderson I think?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

He might only play amateur football in Holland now but I always liked Arjan van Heusden, probably because he was our only foreign player. Good keeper too.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

YellowMurphy wrote:
never had a dodgy keeper (apart from that one we got from reading?, made that aldershot howler)

Mikkel Anderson I think?

That is one goalkeeper you wouldn't recognise now. He has turned into a very fine keeper and I doubt he would ever get a chance to come down to our level again, he is far too good to be sent to league two.

YellowMurphy wrote

Martin Rice ?

Tim Sills (in goal against Forest Green Rovers) ?Rice was the crap one which I forgot. Sills, if only i seen that game

I did see that game. It was one that in one moment had us full of hope then dashed it cruelly only to see it soar to heights I could only dream about after.
We started the game full of hope but then saw us lose our goalkeeper to injury. I thought at the time oh o this is a disaster. Then PB asked Tim to go in Goal. I thought he had taken leave of his senses and that was the last chance we had of getting anything out of the game. Oh How wrong I was. A truly great save fromTim Sills down at the post just in front of me and two brillian goals made our night. I can see it now in ym mind as clearly as if I was still there ands the game still playing. The lights, crowd, our fans massed in the new away stand. The noise we made. The noise they didn't make, mind you if they had we would have drowned it out anyway. Oh what night. One that will live in the annuls of Gulls History and remembered for what we achieved against the odds. or should be!

by crazyfool » 08 Feb 2011, 19:20

... and English??

... and English?? ;-)

Quote MidDevon Re: Goalkeeping position....
by MidDevon » 08 Feb 2011, 16:56

It's been a long time simce I did maths

Now time gentlemen please. You all have it wrong. :red: Any pupil of JR Knows it's the three W's

Weeding Witing and withmatic :lol: :lol: :clap: :scarf: :scarf:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843