Reserve games.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Playing Devils advocate for a second, whilst results like this are encouraging there is an obvious reason why we fayre so well. Our squad is much smaller than virtually every other we come up against. As a result, more often than not, our 'reserve' side contains more 'first-teamers' than the opposition. How many of those City players have played for the senior side? It looks like a side that lacks experience...?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We had only two regular first team players so it hardly constitutes a side packed with them, of the others with first team experience, they have only a handful of starts between them, The City players with first team experience have played at a higher level so in this case it represents a really good result in my opinion.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Southampton Gull wrote:We had only two regular first team players so it hardly constitutes a side packed with them, of the others with first team experience, they have only a handful of starts between them, The City players with first team experience have played at a higher level so in this case it represents a really good result in my opinion.
I agree.

Although I also agree with the argument that we are fielding a stronger team in the reserves league than others is valid, if you look at the team we fielded against Exeter it was probably the weakest we've put out all season. I would say it was a fair(ish) comparison, and we still won.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of young players we've got. I had feared that the older bunch wouldn't be up to Senior Football - after all, if we were picking lads up at 15/16, you had to wonder why they hadn't been snapped up by City and Argyle. It wouldn't have surprised me if if had taken a few years for the first few "golden boys" to come through. But Halpin, Yeoman and Palmer seem to be making a decent enough impression and the other lads coming through seem to be able to play a bit as well. I would say that is testament to the coaching they have received.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Talking of youngsters, our young keeper, Aaron Ibbetson. I'm sure I read in the Herald/on our website that some Premiership teams were looking at him.

Again, my memory might be a bit fuzzed, but if it's true, then fair play to the club for getting him at such an age; I just hope we can fulfill his potential..