Durrell Berry

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Durrell Berry

Post by Markh84 »

The Ex Argle defender is currently training with us with a view to earning himself a contract. Any idea where along the backline he can play?

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Right back, I remember seeing him in a game for Argyle a couple years back and thought he played well. He'd be better than Tonge at least...
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Argyle fans didn't seem too bothered to see him leave in the summer: http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic. ... rry+leaves

Agree that he'd surely be a better option than Tonge though. Do we reckon CH wants two RBs or just really wants rid of Tonge?
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

From some Argyle fans I asked on twitter:

"Meh, bang average. Better than he thinks he is."

"If he gets his fitness right he'll be great for conference. His legs may let him down- more so than his ability."
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I can't say I know much about him but he's got 100 first team appearances for Argyle which is a good sign. He's also still looking for a club nearing November which is a not such a good sign. However, players do get missed sometimes, and I would imagine he wouldn't be too expensive having been released by Argyle and still looking for a club.

There's also the possibility LY has suggested him to CH having been at Argyle the same time.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

He turned Plymouth down in the summer. Not a fantastic player, by any means - part of their worst ever side - but I reckon he would be decent enough at Conference level and we have to accept - thatis our future now, so someone with a little pedigree, on reasonable money, may be a good move for him and TUFC.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Don't feel the need to replace Tonge to be honest, would rather get rid of Benyon who's likely to be on not a bad wage and potentially bring in another ST. Plus, another thread on here is saying how our players lack commitment and have poor attitude, is someone who began their career at Aston Villa, and turned Argyle down because he thought better offers would come, really be a player who would show passion and be 'up for it' in matches?
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Berry just being here will give Tonge a kick up the arse.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I don't think Tonge needs replacing, personally.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:I don't think Tonge needs replacing, personally.
Both fullbacks need replacing as the opposition are getting behind us and crosses produce goals. :keepie:
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

Never liked the player. Used to say to my Argyle mate a lot that he was one of the dirtiest players I've seen. Although to be fair that was on Football Manager... :whistle: No idea if he's any good, mate never rated him though.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Well it's obvious we need another right-back. Tonge has improved but still looks a weak link. We've been quite lucky that's he's avoided injury and suspension though as we don't have a natural replacement. I suppose MacDonald could slot in there temporarily but it's not ideal. I've never seen Berry play but obviously he'll only be signed if Hargreaves thinks he's good enough. Wouldn't pay too much attention to what other fans are saying - I remember Burton supporters jumping for joy when we took Branston off their hands. He even got booed by the Popside before kicking a ball when he did the 50-50 draw immediately after signing. Fair to say he turned out alright.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

DTUFC wrote:From some Argyle fans I asked on twitter:

"Meh, bang average. Better than he thinks he is."

"If he gets his fitness right he'll be great for conference. His legs may let him down- more so than his ability."
Do you mean "Think's he's better than he is"?

I think eventually replacing Tonge is a long-term problem, not a short term one. Unless this guy is a lot better there may not be a need to make a switch. Tonge's been alright at this level, I'd just have my doubts about keeping him on and playing at a higher level.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I don't think Tonge has been too bad this season, the problems with the defence have generally stemmed from other areas. Unfortunately for him I don't think many people will change their opinion on him from last season, when he was poor.

Any signing we may make at right back is not going to be a replacement for Tonge. Given his performances last year and purported high wages, I can't see anyone coming in for him, therefore he'll be with us until the end of the season. Therefore I would imagine any signing will be back-up and competition for Tonge, with maybe a view to replacing him next season when he's out of contract.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sort of think your on the right rack there leetufc, Martin Rice, Tom Cruise and Dale Tonge are not popular with sections of our support, there can be no doubting that, personally not a betting man, however even I would have gladly put £10 on any one if not all three becoming scapegoats in the event of a poor run of results, and I would have been right, some of the postings to be fair across the TU forums have been moronic, pathetic call it what you like, there's no passion amongst our support in general.

Just a few weeks ago we had the best defensive record in the division by some way, and us fans were talking about the clubs clean sheet record, those with short memories need to remember this was with a largely settled midfield and back 5 of Rice, Tonge, MacDonald, Downes, Cruise, admittedly it's some what been our own fault but since then we've seen Downes, MacDonald, Richards and Young all serve suspensions, plus a couple of injuries that haven't helped.

Durrell Berry on trial, lets cut to the chase here, it hasn't got anything to do with Dale Tonge's ability to defend, it's Chris Hargreaves already turning his attention to next season, and it's almost certain now he will have to put together a squad off a much reduced player budget than he has now. Dale Tonge along with Downes and Harding on likely to be on wages we as a club can no longer pay, this isn't rocket science.
Formerly known as forevertufc