Play-offs or Consolidation ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Consolidation please. In fact, I don't ever want TUFC to go up beyond L1, but I'm well happy with L2 for the next few years.
What I really like about TUFC is that it's a small club. I like that the whole thing is worth less than Wayne Rooney's monthly salary. I like it because it's £13 to get in. I like it because I can wander up to the players at full time and congratulate them on a performance. I like that I can hang out by the tunnel and get my shirt signed. I like that I know by sight if not name, every supporter who stands within a 50ft radius of me. I like that Rotherham away is a big game. I like that our record signing cost £50,000. I like that the supporters have to paint the steps in the off season. I like that we sit and watch the FA Cup draw in case it produces a single tie which could change the course of the history of the club forever. I like that tea is £1 and a programme is £2.50. I like I can stand up. I like watching guys who earn good, but realistic money. I like that they all WANT to play, because if they don't, they can't feed their families or pay the mortgage. I like that I'm excited every time we get even a brief mention in the national media.
Yeah, Premier League football is better quality, but it comes at a massive cost, one which I am unwilling to pay. I don't want to have to pay £30 to get in. I don't want to have to pay £5 for a programme or £3 for a kipper tie. I don't want have to sit down in a 40,000 all seater stadium built miles out of town, surrounded by tourists and glory supporters. I don't want to have to win a competition or pay £500 to get into the VIP area of some gaudy nightclub just to catch a glimpse of our centre-back. I don't want to be disinterested in the FA Cup draw because our Russian or Middle Eastern owners have more money than they know what to do with. I don't want to pay £50,000,000 for Dave Torres just because it's a drop in the ocean to our owners. I don't want to know that my £30/week goes to paying some Spanish **** with too much hair product and monogrammed alloy wheels on his pussy pink Ferrari.

How boring must it be to be a Chelsea fan? The only way is down. Since they are expected to win every game, the 90% of the time they do, there is no sense of thankfulness or excitement but the 10% they lose produces such depths of depression. Equally, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference how much a player costs or wants in salary, Abramovich just pays it and puts up.
Imagine just how incredible it would be if TUFC won the FA Cup. There are riots in Manchester if United DON'T win the FA Cup.
All those guys all over the world wandering around with the Arsenal crest on their shirt, what do they have in common with Robin Van Persie? By contrast, aside from occupation, each and every one of us could reasonably compare our lives with that of Mark Ellis, or Danny Potter.

In short, top level football is boring, it's killing the game and the sooner it all comes crashing down in a big ball of TEN FIGURE debt and prawn sandwiches, the better.
I want TUFC to stay as far away from it for as long as possible and I absolutely do not want them to get any closer than the middle of L1.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
manchestergulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by manchestergulls »

for me i would take consolidation. we need to get things in order i.e money in the bank, i think we are going in the right direction and things will come good, just takes time
http://www.facebook/manchestergulls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
follow me on twitter @manchestergull
take me home to place where i belong, down at plainmoor to see united, take me home the torquay road.........
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Looking at this season then clearly consolidation is the way forward,the club as a whole the team are not ready for league 1,nor is the ground for that matter.

To me the debate should be about the future of our club,my grandad moved to this area from up north in the 1950's and watched Tufc from the 50's through to the 70's,and his generation of Torquay fan had the attitude the club was never going past the old division 3 south/division 4 ,because it simply could not afford to,and what amaze's me is that same attitude was there in the 1980's when i started going ,and is still there today.

I fully understand the club right now is short of money,and our gates are to low,the problem for me is we are just to happy to accept life in league 2,and yes after two years in the hell that was the bsp,iam to,and every time we see a poor strategic decision from the like the way it handled the Crawley match,it gets me how i read on the internet,and hear around group fans saying right thats it iam never going again,or do the club not want my money,yes the club does want your money,and if your fed up with seeing the team fail or want the team to progress,then wake up smell the roses ,because with out us the fans and our money the club never will progress .

Beyond this season i want to see our club stand up be a bit more pro-active set us on a course to league 1,the share of t.v money for league 2 is around 200k per club,league 1 club get over 400k,league 1 is a southern biased league so likely to see atleast a greater away support with more than a few clubs in that league who will bring up to a 1000 fans with them,should we as a club be going a trying to grab a league 1 spot,your dam right we should be,even Rochdale have managed it,so please lets stop be happy with what we have got,and want more.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

I will take promotion every time. The only reason we got relegated the last time from Div 1 was because there was a refusal to invest ANYTHING in the squad in preparation for the new season!
I will never be satified with L2 survival
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i'm all for consolidation, but the problem is, with consolidation comes inconsistency. as someone mentioned earlier, if we went up, we may be able to hang on to our sought after assets, and maybe attract players of a better standard to bolster the squad. Consolidation sounds great if we can keep the bulk of the squad, with maybe just one or two in/out, but maintaining that core in the squad is vital to start next season positively. all too often, teams make wholesale changes in the summer, and it's christmas before performances and results become consistent, and by then, it could be too late for promotion. then the cycle begins again the following season. this was the same when we went down to the BSP.

but then again, we've got to aim to win every game, and see where that puts us by the end of the season. i'd far prefer to "worry" about going up than going down !!
Brady

I Wish I Was There
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Consolidation please. In fact, I don't ever want TUFC to go up beyond L1, but I'm well happy with L2 for the next few years.
What I really like about TUFC is that it's a small club. I like that the whole thing is worth less than Wayne Rooney's monthly salary. I like it because it's £13 to get in. I like it because I can wander up to the players at full time and congratulate them on a performance. I like that I can hang out by the tunnel and get my shirt signed. I like that I know by sight if not name, every supporter who stands within a 50ft radius of me. I like that Rotherham away is a big game. I like that our record signing cost £50,000. I like that the supporters have to paint the steps in the off season. I like that we sit and watch the FA Cup draw in case it produces a single tie which could change the course of the history of the club forever. I like that tea is £1 and a programme is £2.50. I like I can stand up. I like watching guys who earn good, but realistic money. I like that they all WANT to play, because if they don't, they can't feed their families or pay the mortgage. I like that I'm excited every time we get even a brief mention in the national media.
Yeah, Premier League football is better quality, but it comes at a massive cost, one which I am unwilling to pay. I don't want to have to pay £30 to get in. I don't want to have to pay £5 for a programme or £3 for a kipper tie. I don't want have to sit down in a 40,000 all seater stadium built miles out of town, surrounded by tourists and glory supporters. I don't want to have to win a competition or pay £500 to get into the VIP area of some gaudy nightclub just to catch a glimpse of our centre-back. I don't want to be disinterested in the FA Cup draw because our Russian or Middle Eastern owners have more money than they know what to do with. I don't want to pay £50,000,000 for Dave Torres just because it's a drop in the ocean to our owners. I don't want to know that my £30/week goes to paying some Spanish c**t with too much hair product and monogrammed alloy wheels on his pussy pink Ferrari.

How boring must it be to be a Chelsea fan? The only way is down. Since they are expected to win every game, the 90% of the time they do, there is no sense of thankfulness or excitement but the 10% they lose produces such depths of depression. Equally, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference how much a player costs or wants in salary, Abramovich just pays it and puts up.
Imagine just how incredible it would be if TUFC won the FA Cup. There are riots in Manchester if United DON'T win the FA Cup.
All those guys all over the world wandering around with the Arsenal crest on their shirt, what do they have in common with Robin Van Persie? By contrast, aside from occupation, each and every one of us could reasonably compare our lives with that of Mark Ellis, or Danny Potter.

In short, top level football is boring, it's killing the game and the sooner it all comes crashing down in a big ball of TEN FIGURE debt and prawn sandwiches, the better.
I want TUFC to stay as far away from it for as long as possible and I absolutely do not want them to get any closer than the middle of L1.

Matt.
Outstanding. 100% agree.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Yep! So do I! One of the most cogent posts ever on this site!! :goal:
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
ReadinGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicholson

Post by ReadinGull »

ferrarilover wrote:Consolidation please. In fact, I don't ever want TUFC to go up beyond L1, but I'm well happy with L2 for the next few years.
Yeah, Premier League football is better quality, but it comes at a massive cost, one which I am unwilling to pay. I don't want to have to pay £30 to get in. I don't want to have to pay £5 for a programme or £3 for a kipper tie. I don't want have to sit down in a 40,000 all seater stadium built miles out of town, surrounded by tourists and glory supporters. I don't want to have to win a competition or pay £500 to get into the VIP area of some gaudy nightclub just to catch a glimpse of our centre-back. I don't want to be disinterested in the FA Cup draw because our Russian or Middle Eastern owners have more money than they know what to do with. I don't want to pay £50,000,000 for Dave Torres just because it's a drop in the ocean to our owners. I don't want to know that my £30/week goes to paying some Spanish c**t with too much hair product and monogrammed alloy wheels on his pussy pink Ferrari.

Matt.

Exactly, maybe the odd JPT fuelled trip to London.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Plymouthgull wrote:I will take promotion every time. The only reason we got relegated the last time from Div 1 was because there was a refusal to invest ANYTHING in the squad in preparation for the new season!
I will never be satified with L2 survival
That would be the side that started with Russel and Fowler driving the midfield and Koffour and Akinfenwa up front? About the only missing players were DG (replaced by Ade Ak) and Liam Rosenior (who was only on loan).

That would also be the season we made our record signing would it not? How much do you think the wage bill had to rise to cover promotion?
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Matt.
Quality post. i've got friends who go to chelsea every week, and despite being grateful for the success of the last 10yrs, they all say they enjoyed the football and going to games far more BEFORE the money arrived.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

If we go up this season, by whatever means, and survive in League One, then is that not consolidation ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

Fletch,
Accept your argument so far, but the point I was making that the squad was not really added to when we got promotion. I recall only the FAT one signing and indeed most of the fans being surprised at the lack of transfer activity that summer. Anyway, back to the main point. I do not like the argument for consolidation because to many it soon becomes a lack of ambition being shown and before you know players leave and attendances fall even further.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Fletch wrote: That would be the side that started with Russel and Fowler driving the midfield and Koffour and Akinfenwa up front? About the only missing players were DG (replaced by Ade Ak) and Liam Rosenior (who was only on loan).

That would also be the season we made our record signing would it not? How much do you think the wage bill had to rise to cover promotion?
Fowler was injured for a lot of that season, sadly, and we had the horrendous goalkeeper situation, and we got relegated on...goal difference. At the time I thought it was good that the management felt that the team that got us up was good enough to keep us up, but if we'd only shown a bit more determination to stay in the division we could have done so. That day in Colchester was such a depressing day. Also, Akinfenwa didn't start motoring until probably christmas, as I recall - he was awful for the first 10-15 games, by which point we were already up against it.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

I'm having a bit of a mid-season crisis here. Normally I would say there's no way we can sustain this, we're not ready, consolidate, consolidate... but we have new blood, and if we can hang on to what we've got for the long haul and start building now, why not go for the play-offs? So I think I'm saying that my heart is winning at the moment and we should go for it!!
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

The last 2 results for me are huge following the Hereford game. A win against Burton on Tuesday and everyone will start to believe in the play offs. Why not try, some more cash to keep us ticking over.
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!