£10

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

£10

Post by drummergull90 »

Is what I am paying to see Aston Villa vs Fulham this afternoon.

£14 is what a pay as a student to see Torquay vs any league 2 opposition.

Something isn't right.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yep, something is not right indeed. You should be at Plainmoor :red:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

drummergull90 wrote:Is what I am paying to see Aston Villa vs Fulham this afternoon.

Something isn't right.
Bigger ground and bigger budget means that they can probably afford cut price tickets. Combine the fact that they get TV money etc etc means that lower league clubs can never compete, and rely on its core base of fans to keep them afloat (sugar daddy aside of course!!)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Threads this stupid make Jesus cry.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Enjoy the overpiad, overhyped tosspots of the premiershite.

Nothing like seeing the boys win in horrible swirly windy conditions :na: :na:
Starcross_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Starcross_Gull »

drummergull90 wrote:Is what I am paying to see Aston Villa vs Fulham this afternoon.

Something isn't right.
Think TQ have introduced what they call - Under 19 Membership Scheme...........on production of ID & passport photo at club shop or reception you can join the scheme for 'free' and go to matches for £6 at home this season. Give the club a ring to check on details!!
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by drummergull90 »

I'd have much rather have been at Plainmoor today, but its completely unfeasible for me to travel from Birmingham to Torquay and back every other weekend. Couldn't afford it, and couldn't give the time either. I hear I missed a good performance though.

Thanks for the input ferrarilover. I am of course not suggesting the ticket prices should be the same. Villa and Torquay couldn't be different clubs in more different situations. It just made me think seeing them side to side. It makes me wonder how clubs like Walsall attract any young fans at all with PL teams on their doorstep charging so little.

For what its worth it was a really good game. Bent didn't look anywhere near worth £24 million or whatever they paid for him. Still 2-2 and a day out to see a totally different brand of football for £10 could be a lot worse. May go again some time.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh Drummer boy, you know I'm only pulling your leg.
My actual point is, while it's nice to hear you had a good day, the cost of a ticket is irrelevant*
Yes, I'm sure that it is cheaper to get in to Villa than Torquay, but, for all sorts of blatantly obvious reasons, that has no bearing on my life at all.
By ALL means, post threads about your experiences at other grounds, especially if the mighty Fulham are involved, but you'll fare considerably better if the raison d' être of the thread isn't entry price comparison.

As for DB, he is a REAL dark horse (note to the needlessly sensetive, this is not a racially motivated comment.) He gets goals by the hat full, but no one (myself very much included) seems to notice. If Andy Carrol (with 34 CAREER goals) is worth £35m, Bent must be a £100m man.

As for the geographic problems, it is the Manchester area which astounds me. Father and I were discussing this over sherry and shotguns the other day, if one were simply a football fan, where should one choose to live for maximum exposure. Our conclusion was Manchester. Think across the top, say, 5 divisions. How many clubs are there within a 50 mile radius of Manchester city centre. Go on, think about it for a minute or two, there are frigging millions. Quite how Altrincham or Northwich attract regular supporters is totally beyond me.

Matt.

*as opposed to irrelephant which relates to anything not specifically on the subject of elephants. :rofl:
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by drummergull90 »

Got to attract people to the thread somehow. Thought a snappy title might do the trick.

The £10 scheme is a great idea though. We could try it with students at South Devon College. Show your ID card and get in for the same price as a junior or something along those lines. Might promote groups of friends making the trip down together. I think pricing is a real issue at Plainmoor.

I have often thought the same thing about Manchester. The number of teams is totally absurd. They must really love their football up there. The Midlands isn't bad, but the majority of their teams tend to exist in the higher echelons of the Football League. I am struggling to think of more than a handful of League 1/League 2 sides within a 50 mile radius of me. I suppose it simply reflects settlement size, most of the Midlands 'towns' became sprawling manufacturing centres during the Industrial Revolution, whereas in Lancashire mill towns remained mill towns.

That's a good point you make about DB. He just looked a yard off his pace yesterday. Read a really interesting article by the Guardian's 'Secret Footballer' yesterday. Amongst other things he tells of players who play the game purely for the money, and thus moving clubs every season gives them countless signing on fees with which to augment their salaries. A subtle dig at Bent I think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... yers-wages

Most people seem to think its Carragher, I'm inclined to agree with them.

Anyway, none of this has much relevance to Torquay. Other than on the simple laws of economics you should pay more for something of higher quality. Perhaps I am just naive.
Sneapy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Sneapy »

its not the point though is it, if they atually start to play well, one it would be worth paying £14 to see, and two they would attract more people to the ground.

they are always on about attracting people and that we need our support, then why dont you lower the prices, that the main reason why people dont go to see the club is because it is too expensive, if it was cheaper i would go more often but i cant afford to spend that kind of money every game and i only attend one every two weeks, because of this
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Sneapy, I think you will find our prices are pretty much average compared to other L2 clubs. When the club have dropped the price for certain matches it still hasnt increased the attendance. All that happens is the regular "pay on the gate" supporters get in for less, meaning a lower weekly income for the club to try and get by on.

Having just looked at the attendance figures, 1st home game played well and won, 2nd home game, lower attendance, played well and won, 3rd home game, lower attendance again. Attendance was dropping despite us playing well and winning.
Sneapy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Sneapy »

no, i disagree the prices are bad as you could get a season ticket up at a premiership team,
cheaper than torquay united
there is no getting away from it the prices are apporling
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Sneapy wrote:no, i disagree the prices are bad as you could get a season ticket up at a premiership team,
Considering our ST prices ranged from £250 to £300 (was it £250 for the pop side?) unless you want to watch Wigan or Blackburn (who have the somewhat puny matter of at least £30 mill in TV money coming in) then you will have paid more. You could also pay more at Blackburn depending on where you went.

Feel free to pay around twice what we do to watch the likes of Wolves, Everton or West Ham
crazyfool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek 'The Dude'

Post by crazyfool »

Really Sneapy?? I would guess that most people would disagree with that last comment. Personally I'm happy to pay the going rate (provided it's within reason and in line with other teams in our league!!). Others might find it a wee bit expensive for their pockets, but reducing prices has not worked. Everytime we've tried something along these lines it never seems to bring in the crowds and the needed increase numbers on the gate.

Football is one of those things that's purchased on a lot more that just price. For instance if we are challenging for promotion or have a big cup game then we get big crowds. When there's something to turn up for people turn up. Unfortunately for a lot of people in and around Torquay just being able to see their local team play is not a good enough reason.

Another example is the two games at the new Wembley. How many more did we take the first time than the Cambridge game?? I can't remember the actual price, but I doubt there was much difference in the tickets. The first time around and the chance to go to Wembley brought along a load of 'extras'. I know of at least 5 people who had no interest the second time around. Yep that's right the game that was by far the more important game. If the tickets had been a fiver I bet they still wouldn't have gone!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Sneapy wrote:no, i disagree the prices are bad as you could get a season ticket up at a premiership team,

Nearly as appalling as your spelling :na:

Seriously though, they're not. What do you suggest the club do, charge a tenner? Fiver? Nothing? What is acceptable to you for average standard L2 football? Considering the class of EoK and some of the football we have produced this season (away at Wycombe springs to mind) I'd gladly pay double to watch Eunan on form. Forgets ye not, some teams in our league charge £20 to stand.
I am infinitely more satisfied with my £13 investment in Saturday s TUFC match than I would have been to pay £70 to watch Liverpool v Chelsea on Sunday. To be honest, I'd have demanded my money back had I paid £13 to watch the Premier League fiasco

Matt.