Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics

Post by oldpedant »

Following on from the dabate about whether we're a 'soft touch', I did some statistics searching on the following sites. (I know I should get out more!).
http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=Leagues
http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/D ... 94,00.html

Maybe you'll be surprised to find that we are the 'fouliest' (?) side in League 2. Although Wycombe have committed more fouls, they've played a game more, so our fouls per game ratio is the highest. Also, we are the team fouled against least. This suggests we are the cloggers rather than the 'cloggees'. Or maybe the conspiracy theory that referees collude to ensure we are given nothing is correct after all.

Individually, Zebroski is the fouliest player in our team, followed by Benyon and Branston.

On the subject of shooting, we are below average at hitting the target, but when we do, we tend to score. The shocker here is how many times we've hit the woodwork. 20 times. The next highest is Shrewsbury with 15, then Wycombe with 10. Why is this? Are our goals slightly too small? Or the posts too thick?

Zebroski is also our 'shootiest' player, unfortunately the majority being off target (57%), and his goals to shots ratio is 14%. Benyon's on target ratio was the reverse at 58%, and his goals to shot ratio was an incredible 39%. Berbatov's by the way is 18%, and Charlie Austin's is 20%, just for comparison. Does this make Benyon better than Berbatov?

I'm not sure what you can make of these statistics, but it kept me amused for a while.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Or it could all just indicate we get the rough end of decisions...

As for Benyon's stats, they come as no surprise to me. ;-)
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."