Paul buckle!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kee

Paul buckle!

Post by SantaCruzScotty »

Okay, so the last time I was at plainmoor i heard fans shout to Scott Bevan 'It's not your fault, it's buckles'
i assumed that no one likes buckle there? In all fairness if it wasnt for baitson, Leroy would have taken us to the Championship!

I just wanted to know how many people 'Like' Buckle as our manager?
If not, who would be your manager after buckle?

Fanatcy manager:
Reality manager:

Post em up!

COME ON YOU YELLOWS! :scarf: :win: :)
Torquay Till I Die!
loyalgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by loyalgull »

I'm not sure what 'fanatcy' means, but yes, I like Buckle. He's done a fantastic job, end of story.
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Like a dream manager that we would never have.
Torquay Till I Die!
popsider
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Kee

Post by popsider »

I'm a huge fan of Buckles, No other manager can say with his first club they've got promotion, and a few trips to Wembley. So he must be doing something right, I'd love for Leroy to come back in some capacity, but I suppose he's to involved with the media side of things to stop all that to come and manage us.
Torquay United. Today, Tomorrow, forever.
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

I guess so, but, the confrence was easy for us as we had a team who can compete in league two. Leroy helped us to get to league one, although we got relagated, stupid newbies MK Dons were lucky! (I think im correct anyway, correction will be taken)

but if buckle was a great manager, why are we falling behind everyone, selling the players who score goals and will be good as a captain?
Good thing about buckle, he is loyal at times.

But in my honest oppinion, i think we might have to get rid of buckle to progress in the league in the next few years.
Torquay Till I Die!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Generally, I don't have a problem with Buckle. Considering the lack of finances he's done a very good job to bring us back into the football league and consolidate our place. I just find him a little inexperienced at times, he's not what you'd call a 'tactical genius' and he seems to be intent on keep everything positive, all the time. That can work well but sometimes players need a good bollocking.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

In all fairness, looking at each person's point of view i feel a slight bit of guilt inside me!
I didnt know he was a newbie as a manager, and i though we had abit more money than I realised (Due to going to the fourth round)

but i think this season he needs abit of help, see if we can get a play off place, take us to tradford/wemberly and then avoid relagation in league 1...maybe! optimistic :)

but i do think buckle needs to improve what hes doing down there!
Torquay Till I Die!
popsider
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by popsider »

SantaCruizScotty wrote:In all fairness, looking at each person's point of view i feel a slight bit of guilt inside me!
I didnt know he was a newbie as a manager, and i though we had abit more money than I realised (Due to going to the fourth round)

but i think this season he needs abit of help, see if we can get a play off place, take us to tradford/wemberly and then avoid relagation in league 1...maybe! optimistic :)

but i do think buckle needs to improve what hes doing down there!

You seem to know very little for someone that's criticizing the team, I'm all for taking on your points of view, but someone that doesn't really know the background of the manager or infact the club, (in my opinion) shouldn't be getting on the managers back.
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Mate, ive supported the team since i was like 7/8?
yeh i may not be able to turn up to every game and get news everywhere but what i do know is that we're struggling to even stay up, lets lose 4-1 then 3-1 to hereford which either last season or season before we drew 0-0?

Obviously some things go bad for teams, but then get better?
but in all fairness, buckle isnt the best manager we could get/have!
Torquay Till I Die!
popsider
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by popsider »

I'm not saying you're not a good supporter of the club, am I? I'm saying, you didn't know that Buckle was a new manager, when It was very well documented in the weeks running up to the new season starting, and you're unaware of the amount of money the club have to spend (Which, to be honest I don't have a clue about, and neither does anyone), It's like me having an argument with a woman about ironing, I'd be out of depth as I don't know the first thing about it :)

Lose 4-1? Where are you getting this from?
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

SantaCruizScotty wrote:Mate, ive supported the team since i was like 7/8?
yeh i may not be able to turn up to every game and get news everywhere but what i do know is that we're struggling to even stay up, lets lose 4-1 then 3-1 to hereford which either last season or season before we drew 0-0?

who would you have then? .. Alex Ferguson? wake up and realise we have no money, no manager is going to come to a shambles like this, and buckle is doing a fantastic job considering is budget and having to sell our best player. :evil:
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

SantaCruizScotty wrote:Mate, ive supported the team since i was like 7/8?

To be honest, I think he is. Who would you get instead of Buckle? Leroy? PB is a fantastic manager and has done brilliantly since he became our manager.

Some of our fans need to be much, much more realistic. This is our second season back in the league, last season we avoided relegation, target met! This season, we want to push on again but getting promoted too soon will just see us come straight back down again. We aren't ready, and we aren't good enough, to get in the play offs this season. We want a good, solid mid table finish, and push on from there. The thought of us being in league one next season is actually quite worrying if I'm honest, think it would be a lot better for us to have another year or two in league two before getting promotion, and then by that point we would hopefully have a much better chance of surviving in league one.

Little steps, not big ones...
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

On bbc, they said something about us losing 4-1?
i don't know.
sorry mate, just had a bad 5mins of the day. im in work and all im doing is twirling on my chair... Yipieee
im trying to plan myself to move to torquay area in the next few years so i can get a season ticket and everything else, i do miss our boys!
but yeh, if i could say to get a new manager it would either be leroy if he was avalible, but if not i think i would have Gordon Strachan or someone along those lines! (for like £5 a week :P)

Also do you think its worth going stockport game? being as its like £50 - £100 a game(Inc travel)
And again, sorry :P
Torquay Till I Die!
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

SantaCruizScotty wrote:On bbc, they said something about us losing 4-1?
i don't know.
sorry mate, just had a bad 5mins of the day. im in work and all im doing is twirling on my chair... Yipieee
im trying to plan myself to move to torquay area in the next few years so i can get a season ticket and everything else, i do miss our boys!
but yeh, if i could say to get a new manager it would either be leroy if he was avalible, but if not i think i would have Gordon Strachan or someone along those lines! (for like £5 a week :P)

Also do you think its worth going stockport game? being as its like £50 - £100 a game(Inc travel)
And again, sorry :P
Why do some people think Leroy should come back? :rofl:

Yes, had got us promoted and we played some excellent football, and yes he didn't have a good budget if one at all, but he wasn't as good as some fans like to think! Leroy didn't know how to make substitutions, was a shambles regarding the goalkeepers in league one, and when we were relegated back to league two, the whole side was a disgrace. Getting Leroy back, in my opinion, would mean another spell in the conference, and we won't get out of it as easy the next time.

Oh and Gordon Strachan? I really hope you're joking, because if you think anybody like Gordon Strachan would come all the way down to manage Torquay, then I think you're mistaken.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i have to say i've not always been buckle's biggest fan, but having said that, i don't dislike the guy either. i think you need to be fair to someone in his position, and look at the players he has to choose from, the resources and money available to him etc etc. anyone being asked to do a job without the right (or should i say, desired) tools is always going to face an uphill task. my only gripe with Buckle is what i consider to be a lack of ability in altering the course of a game from the sideline. yes, once the first whistle blows, it's the 11 on the pitch that have to do their bit, but when things aren't going well, or just need shaking up a bit, he seems reluctant/slow to do so. just my opinion.

however, as a manager (and a person, not that i know him personally), i don't think you can question his honesty. naturally he wants to do well for himself, but i think he genuinely wants the best for the club and it's staff.

lets face it, do we really think he would've let Benyon (and others) go unless it was right for the team or club ?? personally i think benyon should've had a longer contract (we saw at the tail end of last season what he was capable of and how valuable he was to the way we play), so we didn't need to cash in now rather than get nothing in the summer, but i don't think we can blame Buckle for that. i also don't know what % of Hemmings' salary we were paying (surely a premiership club would pay most of it ???), but why let him go back at a time when we already have "first XI" players packing their bags ?

i think we need to ask if the board are doing enough to help and support buckle (and his staff) ??
Brady

I Wish I Was There