Player ineligible to play last night - CONFIRMED

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Jeff wrote:This is a real tough scenario for the FA to deal with......

..I'm hoping that a moderate fine follows for both clubs, no points deductions, no replays, and everything is swiftly forgotten.
I agree with the above and would like the same outcome, but unfortunately since this is unprecedented, my fear is that we may be waiting a long time for a decision. Let's hope it gets sorted out quickly.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I think they'll give each side a small fine and replay the game at a neutral venue.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

NickGull wrote:I think they'll give each side a small fine and replay the game at a neutral venue.
This would be ideal.
Perhaps Cheltenham?* And both sides would share the costs.
Bristol is central(ish) too.

*Scratch Cheltenham not anywhere near equal distance.
Me stoopid. =Z
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I thought it would be somewhere like Yeovil.. free/cheap entry to share between the two clubs, and a small proportion to the club who's stadium its at.

Hopefully it'll be at a nice ground, though..
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well you really could not make this up could you,F.A could not organise one in a brewery what hope of sorting this out fairly...none.

One question why if this match has to be replayed are people suggesting a nuetral venue,i do not get this,if the orginal match is deemed void by the F.A and was due to be played at plainmoor then the replayed match should also be played at plainmoor,both clubs are gulity of the same offence,and we would lose home advantage..why ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

We have here two separate issues. Firstly, that each team fielded an ineligible player in a Football League fixture. Secondly, that Hereford did beat Torquay United while fielding an ineligible player. We have committed one offence, Hereford have committed one offence but they benefited greatly from it, while TUFC saw no benefit (other than a single goal) from their error/deception.

The sensible option is to replay the match at Plainmoor, both players in question allowed to play and the result of the replay to be taken as the result with the original game struck from the history books. The £10,000 fine (with £5000 suspended for 2 years) for each club would be the punishment. This avoids any need for the FA to take the (incredibly serious) step of deducting points. Were Hereford to lose 6 (3 as punishment and the 3 they won), that would represent a MASSIVE punishment and one which would be manifestly excessive given the nature of the offence. Since the penalty for committing the offence most heinous of entering administration is 'only' 10 points, to lose 6 (or 3, really) would be very harsh and might well leave the way open for an appeal against sanctions to (I believe) the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

There is a precedent for the FA, when in agreement with both clubs, to permit a match to be replayed. In a freak incident in February 1999, Arsenal beat Sheff Utd 2-1 in an FA Cup Fifth Round match with a goal from Marc Overmars. The match was replayed and the same result occurred.
Full info here >>> http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... up-rematch

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Is the most obvious solution, given each club fielded an ineligible player, to allow the result to stand? Only drawback would be should Barnet (hypothetically) get relegated one point behind Hereford, would that then allow an appeal by Barnet ?

It's a total can of worms TBH and given the previous on this, any points gained whilst fielding an ineligible player are usually docked. Seems harsh on Hereford compared to us but it could have gone the other way as well.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

One issue is that we realised the mistake we made early on in the game, which visably changed Buckle's attitude to the game, and the news filtered through to the players, who put in a limp and lifeless display. When Hereford were 'clean', it was fair that they benefitted and we lost out from this, but given that we're both equally guily then it does result in a very tricky situation. On one hand we have no right to take the moral 'high ground' over this as we're guilty, but then Hereford are now equally guilty but didn't notice for a much longer time.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Jeff wrote:This is a real tough scenario for the FA to deal with.

Normally they would deduct a club the points they won in the game where the ineligibility occurred - but that would leave Hereford with -3 and us with no deduction which isn't fair. Neither is it fair that both clubs get 3 points deducted.

There is no precedent for a replay, but then again there is no precedent for both teams having broken the rules in the same game.

I'm hoping that a moderate fine follows for both clubs, no points deductions, no replays, and everything is swiftly forgotten.
Yep, spot on Jeff. However, the FA being the FA, are sure to FA HUCK UP !
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I think the fairest solution would be to replay the game at Plainmoor, without the 2 players involved (as this should have been the case in the original game).

Unfortunately, I can see us being deducted points, even when we didnt win and we'll have a nice big fine. I can very easily see us being royally f*cked over in this situation due to being on the losing side, as the FA will want to even things up. If we are, might I suggest bombarding the FA with complaint letters and emails until they realise they're complete egits and do something about it?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I know rules is rules and all that, but would it not be just as simple for the FA to accept that we have a mistake per side in what is obviously a needlessly complicated transfer system, no deliberate cheating went on and we won't do it again?
It's not like we played Dimitar Berbatov as a ringer and hoped no one would notice, it's a simple clerical error, nothing sinister.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kee

Post by SantaCruzScotty »

!!Have not looked through recent post's!!

Apprently Rob Burdie was playing against torquay (Hereford) and was'nt registered!

Link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 391073.stm
Torquay Till I Die!
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

SantaCruizScotty wrote:!!Have not looked through recent post's!!

Apprently Rob Burdie was playing against torquay (Hereford) and was'nt registered!

Link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 391073.stm
The last two pages on this thread have been about exactly that mate :lol:
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kee

Post by SantaCruzScotty »

Balls!
sorry -_-
Torquay Till I Die!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Replay at a neutral venue? Why on earth would that be considered? If the game is to be scratched and replayed, it'll be at Plainmoor as was the original.

I'd hope the fact we've both erred won't lead them to allowing the result to stand. We were evidently aware of the error at the time and it affected the performance.

I suppose taking away the points gained in the game (plus a fine) seems most likely, but that still leaves issues regarding goal-difference at the end of the season.

I doubt anybody would object too strongly if the game was replayed, but it still seems unlikely they'd order that. It would be far too sensible.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."