Happy with what we've got?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Happy with what we've got?

Post by Gulliball »

By my maths, we now have 18 senior players in the squad, plus Palmer and Yeoman. They break down as:

GK: Bevan, Potter

DF: Nicholson, Ellis, Branston, Robertson, Rowe-Turner (Mansell and Oastler can also cover)

MF: Mansell, Stanley, O'Kane, Stevens, Zebroski, Macklin, Oastler, Lathrope, Halpin

FW: Kee, Robinson (Zebroski can also cover)

Firstly, I think we're light on numbers. Just one injury or suspension means we couldn't fill the bench with senior players. I know you can only use three, but having different options is a big advantage, and it keeps players on their toes if we have replacements ready. I'd much rather we focused on quality rather than having a big squad taking up wages and not playing, but this is risky even by our standards.

One advantage is that there's a lot of versatility in the squad, so every position does have in theory at least two players who could play there.

Looking at the squad, Bevan is a solid keeper, who fingers crossed will play every game for the rest of the season. And the recent back four (Nicholson, Branston, Ellis, Robertson) is also pretty good for this level, although as Rowe-Turner is the only other option they'll have to be wrapped in cotton wool and have Branston keep them all in order.

Going further forward, the midfield is almost the complete opposite - we have a lot of players but no settled starters. When on form players like Zebroski and Stevens are dangerous, but both can have poor games and offer us nothing. O'Kane oozes class, but doesn't fit into any formations we usually play, and so the balance of the team goes. Mansell and Stanley I hope will become a great partnership in the middle.

Up front I think we're now very weak, and someone will have to step up and score the goals if we're going to finish anything higher than our current position. We don't have a target man, or a proven goalscorer.

Overall, I think we still need a few additions if we're going to look towards the play-offs. What we have now is probably a typical mid-table side - a solid base and a few quality players to put us ahead of relegation trouble, but not enough going forward to win when we're not playing well, which all the top teams do.

Personally I think we need a winger and a striker urgently. Anything else can wait till the summer when there's a big turnover of players. Some good names have been linked today, and hopefully we can now use some of the unbudgeted FA Cup and Benyon money to add some quality loanees until the end of the season, when we can go back to a long-term plan. But for now, I think we still have work to do if we want to finish in the top 7.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

From recent seasons when we had too few options in midfield we now have too many and this means we are now correspondingly short of cover at front and back.

I am concerned that we only have the 451 option now because Bucks seems loathe to play Billy Kee for 90 mins - probably due to his age.

It also means that any suspension or injury on the left side of defence means that NRT is the only option - shudder!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Think its about time we lumped Zebs up front, with a partner be it billy or this new Jake fellow.

As for having a small squad, we haven't really changed our starting XI for yonks and Bucks rarely uses his Subs in a way most would like, my only worry is if we get a couple of injuries, then we really could be out in the bay without a paddle.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Modgull wrote:From recent seasons when we had too few options in midfield we now have too many and this means we are now correspondingly short of cover at front and back.

I am concerned that we only have the 451 option now because Bucks seems loathe to play Billy Kee for 90 mins - probably due to his age.

It also means that any suspension or injury on the left side of defence means that NRT is the only option - shudder!
I always think if you have a player like Kee and you know he cannot do the full 90 minutes, you are better off starting him and seeing how much of the 90 minutes you can get from him and then sub him off. Instead we seem to sub him on for half an hour or so, when actually he might be able to give us more time.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i have to agree with you guys.

firstly, i've got to be honest, and say i'm not buckle's biggest fan. i think there are things he does well, but there are definitely big holes there too. my main gripe is his ability to change a game from the touchline. too often things have not been going well after an hour, and subs are not made until 80th minute onwards, and/or changes often don't seem to be the right ones. i think this will only continue (or get worse) now, as the squad is looking a bit short. having said all that, we all know there isn't buckets of money available, and attracting players down to our little club isn't easy. but considering we really are running on a bare minimum squad, why release Hemmings from his loan early ?

i am optimistic about the arrival of Stanley and Robinson, both are good players, and will certainly add something to the squad, but i'm always concerned at how determined loan players are, particularly as these two new guys potentially will affect their parent clubs with their performances for us, as we're all in the same division (especially Stanley - one month loan -what's the point of that ??). at least hemmings, oastler etc, have come in to gain experience, and prove that they are capable of playing for their own clubs at a higher level - they've got nothing to lose as such. i'm sure the new guys will want to do well, but i'd be happier with permanent signings.

in addition, i suppose we should be grateful that only Benyon and Wroe went, both inevitable really, but hanging onto Ellis, O'Kane etc, at least until the summer, will help us in the short term.

tonight is a big test for everyone, and four home games in the next five, games we should realistically be more than capable of winning, could shape the remainder of the season.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Agree with everything you've said there, regiment. Great post, and welcome to the forum! :)
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by cosmic74 »

Stayed up late last night, and went to bed fairly satysfied with the state of the squad. Woke up this morning, still feeling the same. I don't think we are any worse off than 24 hours ago. Stanley, on paper appears to be as good, if not better than Wroe. Robinson, is proven and decent at this level. OK, not as many goals as Benyon, but probably slightly more versatile than Benyon.

Of course, I may feel completely different after watching the game tonight, but changing acouple of players, can make a whole lot of difference to the way we play. Hopefully for the better!!

I think, the best way to sum up the last 24hrs, is that, "we are slightly more versatile than 24hrs ago"

Andy :)
I live for matchdays!!!!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

regiment0609 wrote:i have to agree with you guys.

firstly, i've got to be honest, and say i'm not buckle's biggest fan. i think there are things he does well, but there are definitely big holes there too. my main gripe is his ability to change a game from the touchline. too often things have not been going well after an hour, and subs are not made until 80th minute onwards, and/or changes often don't seem to be the right ones. i think this will only continue (or get worse) now, as the squad is looking a bit short. having said all that, we all know there isn't buckets of money available, and attracting players down to our little club isn't easy. but considering we really are running on a bare minimum squad, why release Hemmings from his loan early ?

i am optimistic about the arrival of Stanley and Robinson, both are good players, and will certainly add something to the squad, but i'm always concerned at how determined loan players are, particularly as these two new guys potentially will affect their parent clubs with their performances for us, as we're all in the same division (especially Stanley - one month loan -what's the point of that ??). at least hemmings, oastler etc, have come in to gain experience, and prove that they are capable of playing for their own clubs at a higher level - they've got nothing to lose as such. i'm sure the new guys will want to do well, but i'd be happier with permanent signings.

in addition, i suppose we should be grateful that only Benyon and Wroe went, both inevitable really, but hanging onto Ellis, O'Kane etc, at least until the summer, will help us in the short term.

tonight is a big test for everyone, and four home games in the next five, games we should realistically be more than capable of winning, could shape the remainder of the season.
Excellent post. Agree with pretty much all of that.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Reasonably happy. Benners is a big pair of boots to fill (obviously not literally), Robinson may go some way towards that but sounds more of an attacking winger that can also play up front, than an out and out striker. Time for Billy to show us what he's made of with a run in the team I think.

Stanley in for Wroe is a no-brainer for me. Better engine and stiffens up the midfield no end.

Hemmings probably wasnt going to feature much (which is part of the loan agreement usually) so may as well be back at Wolves closer to his nipper.

Slightly weaker in numbers but slightly stronger overall I reckon...
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Happy with both Stanley and Robinson, I think they are both capable players and in terms of quality were about the best we could hope for as Wroe and Benners replacements. Wroe's body language has been terrible during the last few games and alongside a dodgy formation it contributed to our downfall at the weekend. With Stanley sounding similar to Mansell I pray Bucks can find a formation suitable for both home and away. Without doubt O'Kane is our most skillful player but at times I felt we have tried to fit him in on the wing or behind EB and it hasn't always suited us - as we saw on Saturday. I like to sound of the 4-2-3-1 but ultimately Bucks is going to have to find something that means we can be attacking at home and compact away, I look forward to seeing how he does.

My only gripe is that we have swapped like for like, we have released several players who are yet to be replaced. You'd have thought Bucks will have other options otherwise he wouldn't have let Hemmings go - I hope we see some loan additions in the near future.
The original taunton_gull!!!
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

Think we need another central defender (as cover) and a forward. We're covered in all other positions.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

shaunicus wrote:Think we need another central defender (as cover) and a forward. We're covered in all other positions.

I'd agree about a forward and two of those were mentioned as targets to me yesterday.

We have Rowe-Turner and Robbo as cover at the back so not too worried about that.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

We need at least one more winger, another striker and in my opinion a first choice right back.

i saw Dean Holden left Shrewsbury yesterday so is free to sign for anyone, someone like that would be ideal.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Dean Holden? Really? He seems to fail everywhere he goes these days. His best was Peterborough; now he seems way past it.

Probably want a fair whack too.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

From what I gather he left by his own accord, was trying to get a move elsewhere. MAybe family reasons I'm not sure.

We need a first choice right back, that's the point i'm really trying to make.