Benyon - Swindon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Bewy1973
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Bewy1973 »

Hi All, Swindon Fan here.

I have read all the posts yesterday and today about Benyon move to us and its amazing the similarities between clubs at this level and I can empathise with you.
As mentioned before we had to sell Morrision to Reading for a pittance following the activation of clause in his contract (who puts these in?) and as for Austin, yes we got an alleged £1.2m but owe a slice of that to Poole. Yes, as fans we would have wanted more especially when some muppet is prepared to pay £35m for a gypsy, but lets face it thats not real football is it. I am sure our board and yours tries to do what is best for club although it doesn t always seem like it.
The good thing here is that it seems like Benyon leaves on a positive note whereas Austin left under a cloud as an arrogant c-ck. Had he stayed to the end of the season and kept his mouth shut it would have been so different.
Based on all that I have read I think that the attitude of your fans is exceptional. Hope you win tonight against Hereford and good luck for the rest of season.
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

Is it just me or is 135k (as rumoured) a reasonable sum?

Sure, we may well have got more money from a tribunal. My gut feeling is we might not have. I honestly think if the club were confident of the former, he'd still be here? As mentioned, he's hardly been desperate to leave.

Anything below 100k would have been unacceptable, but as it stands, a decent six figure sum and an able replacement for the rest of the season represents solid business in my eyes. Time to move on.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

shaunicus wrote:Is it just me or is 135k (as rumoured) a reasonable sum?

Sure, we may well have got more money from a tribunal. My gut feeling is we might not have. I honestly think if the club were confident of the former, he'd still be here? As mentioned, he's hardly been desperate to leave.

Anything below 100k would have been unacceptable, but as it stands, a decent six figure sum and an able replacement for the rest of the season represents solid business in my eyes. Time to move on.

I agree with that, the figure was 125k and with the signings we've made I'm happy that business done was good, although only if two more can be done via the loan system.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Ha funny you should say that schuanicus,was thinking this last night but had no time to post as was going to work,sg alluded to the fact we got 135k ,there is no reason to doubt that,the O/S says we got a sell on clause which with swindons record of selling on players would likely top up the transfer fee to around the 200k mark.

Personaly think that is about right for where Benyon is at this stage in his career,also think this is a fantastic move for Elliot looking at some of the teams he was linked to,going to play for Danny Wlison is right for him and his development,well done benners and good luck.

On fonda's point i do see where he is coming from,f we had have blocked a move ,the club may have got more at the end of the season and Elliot being professional in every sense of the word i do not think it would have effected his form,however on the flip side i also see the point that it could have been a big risk to the club and Elliot,with injuries and loss of form,this money does allow the club scope to freshen up the squad ,which is clearly needed.
Formerly known as forevertufc
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

We got him for nothing, he scored some goals, we sold him for a decent figure which will probably rise if he takes his chance.

Its what we have to start doing and hopefully Benners is the first in a long line of talent that will help out the club as a whole to improve, both on and off field.

Bucks got it spot on the other week, we are a development club and the model seems to be set up that way. Ellis, Okane, Stevens( ?), Halpin should take note.

Sends out a message to those within the squad that improvement brings career advancement and might entice others down here in the knowledge they will get a chance.
TUST #324
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

numpte wrote:We got him for nothing, he scored some goals, we sold him for a decent figure which will probably rise if he takes his chance.

Its what we have to start doing and hopefully Benners is the first in a long line of talent that will help out the club as a whole to improve, both on and off field.

Bucks got it spot on the other week, we are a development club and the model seems to be set up that way. Ellis, Okane, Stevens( ?), Halpin should take note.

Sends out a message to those within the squad that improvement brings career advancement and might entice others down here in the knowledge they will get a chance.
And that's it.

The Benyon sale may not represent the biggest fee but it sends out the right message to the rest of the squad squad. O'Kane and Ellis are under contract until the summer of 2012 at the least as things stand so we should be able to command bigger fees for those players, possibly as early as the summer.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

numpte wrote:We got him for nothing, he scored some goals, we sold him for a decent figure which will probably rise if he takes his chance.

As unusual as this is - I agree numpte. Good post.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Richinns wrote: As unusual as this is - I agree numpte. Good post.
Yes, ditto LRT & Macklin
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Thank you Eliot for your endeavour while at TUFC.

Best of luck at your new club and I hope your future career leads to further success.

Dave Harris and his missus on the Popside last night were not in their usual big bright yellow overcoats. I can only presume the glum faces and dark clothing worn by them was a sign of respect of you passing on (to another club).

Mr & Mrs Harris are fans of yours and I'm sure that now you are in the other world called League One that they won't forget you.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

I just hope that in 3 - 4 years he doesn't find himslef struggling to get games in the Conference because he wasn't able to cut it in League 1. He deserves a long and prosperous career kind of like David Graham except without the word prosperous.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

'Ere, Troj, where'd you stand?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Cornish Gull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Bevan, Halpin

Post by Cornish Gull »

Good Luck Elliot!

Just wanted to say that Buckles doing a great job at the club with a relatively small squad, but after making the trip up for the game yesterday I was dissapointed in the performance, Dont get me wrong the decisions didnt go our way, but we were a shadow of the team that started of this season.. the passing was dire, every time we got the ball it was hot potato no one wanted it, take nothing away from Hereford since New Year theve played some good football and really chased and worked hard after going 1-0 down. To lose 3-1 at home when we should have earnt 3 points is another heartache suffered. It should be back to basics on the training ground!

On a positive side though, the last two apperances from young Saul Halpin have been rather impressive, he came close to clawing a goal back last night after a dazzling run and looks like a player thats got a bright future ahead of him. Lets hope we see more of him in the near future..
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote:'Ere, Troj, where'd you stand?

Matt.
At the back of the Popside in front of the "BARCLAYS" sign that is no longer there. Mr & Mrs Harris are directly in front of us (me, bruv, Jenks) and Bartlett stands in the huge space in between.

He's getting on our nerves now. Are you a betting man ? Here's a tip : me and bruv are odds on favourite to knock the f**ker out.

See ya and Ma (diamond girl ) Saturday. :)
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Stoke_Gull wrote:I just hope that in 3 - 4 years he doesn't find himslef struggling to get games in the Conference because he wasn't able to cut it in League 1. He deserves a long and prosperous career kind of like David Graham except without the word prosperous.
I hope so too - his development over the last few years is a credit to both the player himself and Paul Buckle. I don't begrudge him for moving on or blame the club in selling him. However, I have a slight niggle that the move may come to early for him. I think his development could have continued for another half a season at Plainmoor - which would have benefited both TUFC and Benyon himself. Obviously, it will be a step up for him at Swindon and I am not sure if his finishing ratio and first touch are quite up to the step up. His lack of pace may also be a problem. I have no doubt that he will continue to develop if given the right coaching and opportunity - I just hope Swindon fans are as patient as we were (well most of use anyway) if he needs a bit of time to adjust. Swindon are struggling at the moment and us fans tend to be rather impatient at times. Hopefully I am wrong and he hits the ground running.

Anyway, good luck Elliott and cheers for your efforts.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Trojan 67 wrote: At the back of the Popside in front of the "BARCLAYS" sign that is no longer there. Mr & Mrs Harris are directly in front of us (me, bruv, Jenks) and Bartlett stands in the huge space in between.

He's getting on our nerves now. Are you a betting man ? Here's a tip : me and bruv are odds on favourite to knock the f**ker out.

See ya and Ma (diamond girl ) Saturday. :)
Come and say hello you loon!
You'll see Ma, Pa and I arrive together. Ma'll be in a luminous yellow hat and I'll have my blue one on along with a massive slate grey coat. If you're still not sure, I'm the funny one.
I got Bartlett banned a few seasons ago, only reason he's still alive is because I have the sense not to hit him back.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"