Benyon - Swindon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I disagree. Who is to say that Swindon wouldn't have looked elsewhere and Benyon could have ended up with less say in where he went. I think onjce he knew Swindon were interested he fancied trying to further his career. We got the money to help strengthen the side and so far it looks to be being used wisely, I've no problem with that.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Haven't seen anything to suggest the player wanted away - at this time. If he'd dtayed until the summer and carried on scoring, he would very likely have had the chance to 'further his career' even further up the ladder.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fonda wrote:Haven't seen anything to suggest the player wanted away - at this time. If he'd dtayed until the summer and carried on scoring, he would very likely have had the chance to 'further his career' even further up the ladder.

Equally the chance to scupper any move with a poor run of form, let's face it, he's gone, he wanted to go to Swindon so signed, end of story.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

As i said, i've seen nothing to suggest this move was inspired by the desire of the player.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Fonda wrote:As i said, i've seen nothing to suggest this move was inspired by the desire of the player.
Apart from the fact he now plays for Swindon, of course. I'm sure we didn't put a gun to his head and make him sign.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I think we should all wish Elliot the very best of luck with the rest of his carreer.

He has been great for us, played 2nd fiddle for a season or so, didnt seem to complain, and when he got his chance did very well.

A young man trying to further his career with a bigger club and probably more money, no brainer, has to go for it when the chance is there. People who dither and dont make decisive decisions when opportunity arises wont get on.

Its happened for him and it should give every young footballer the ambition to try harder and not give up.

Well done Elliot and thanks for all the effort you have put in for the Gulls, very much appreciated!
TUST MEMBER
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Because he's not gone to the press Charlie Adam style with I want to leave and handed a transfer request in doesn't mean he didn't want to go.

Swindon = Better and higher placed club, gave us what we wanted and like Our STFC friend above says no one forced him out. Clearly Elliot was very happy to go there.

The deal clearly suited all parties, people at football clubs aren't idiots, there is no way Torquay would have let hi go if they were confident they could get more from a tribunal. They would have known the ball park figure they would have got, and they probaby said to Elliot unless someone gives us more than that you aren't going. I imagine Elliot being the type of lad that he is would have accepted that.

The fact this deal has been agreed by all clearly means all parties are satisfied they got the best deal for their repsective club.

Again I only wish Elliot well, he's gone to a good club where he will play for them straight away in a higher league. That's what you want to see your players do, not leave to go to Lincoln City who are dogshit.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Kit_robin wrote: Apart from the fact he now plays for Swindon, of course. I'm sure we didn't put a gun to his head and make him sign.
Well quite. Though that very clearly wasn't my point. My suggestion is that he hasn't looked like a player desperate to get away. If the club hadn't accepted a bid, he'd still be here.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Fonda wrote: Well quite. Though that very clearly wasn't my point. My suggestion is that he hasn't looked like a player desperate to get away. If the club hadn't accepted a bid, he'd still be here.
Yeeeeeeeessss.... And if Benyon hadn't signed Swindon's contract he would still be here. You make it sound like some sort of evil conspiracy, whereas this all just seems like a normal but of business to me. Disappointed that our goalscorer has gone, obviously, but always seemed inevitable after bigger fish were circling.

I was more concerned with who (or even IF) we replaced him with, and having seen Robinson a few times I personally rate him, so am pleasantly surprised by this bit of business over all. Once you accept benyon was always going to leave during January (a certainty after Saturday) this is the best I think we could have realistically hoped for.

I of course wait for Robinson to prove me wrong and make me eat my words.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Fonda wrote:
He was being professional, and clearly he'd been told that if there were clubs in for him we'd listen to offers. If we had got stubborn and said "hell, no, you're staying and we're knocking back every offer" it's possible he'd have submitted a transfer request. Also, acting in a proper manner has to be appealing for a potential suitor as well - if he was in the press saying "I'm a league 1 footballer, get me out of here!" they may have been less keen.

Goodbye Elliot, and good luck. Hope you get a £2M move soon so we can get a cut :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Kit_robin wrote:
Yeeeeeeeessss.... And if Benyon hadn't signed Swindon's contract he would still be here. You make it sound like some sort of evil conspiracy, whereas this all just seems like a normal but of business to me. Disappointed that our goalscorer has gone, obviously, but always seemed inevitable after bigger fish were circling.

I was more concerned with who (or even IF) we replaced him with, and having seen Robinson a few times I personally rate him, so am pleasantly surprised by this bit of business over all. Once you accept benyon was always going to leave during January (a certainty after Saturday) this is the best I think we could have realistically hoped for.

I of course wait for Robinson to prove me wrong and make me eat my words.
But that's just it - I don't accept that that was always a certainty, and fail to see why it had to be? Plenty of other clubs have kept players until their contract expired and waited for the results of a tribunal. We've done it before (quite recently) ourselves.

How much do you think we'd have got for him at tribunal in the summer? Obviously none of us know, but gut feeling? And do you think he would have had a lack of suitors at that time?
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Swindon got around £1.5M for Austin & Morrison in total, whereas for Benyon we apparently received under 100K. Which is surprising due to the obvious talent Benyon has.

What I can't help thinking is perhaps we could have got a little more upfront? Swindon obviously have some money perhaps we could've rinsed them for a few more pennies. Guess we'll never know the true ins & outs of the deal
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Link to first video interview with EB since his move for those with access:

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/articles ... 90_2282139

Asked if it was a difficult decision to leave us he basically says 'No not really, don't get me wrong I enjoyed my football there but I felt the time was right to move on.' He also says up until 4PM yesterday it didn't look like anything was going to happen. Whilst I also don't think he seemed desperate to leave it sounds like once there was something on the table he was keen to move on. I would have loved it as much as anyone to hold on to him until the end of the season but it wasn't to be. I do feel we have been done by only getting 135k but sadly we are always going to be seen as a bit of a soft touch compared to other clubs and ultimately we have paid the price for not beating Crawley.

All the best to Elliot and I wish him every success at Swindon.
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

If the club thought they'd get more money for Benyon from a tribunal, and if Benyon himself showed no desire to leave in January..then surely he'd still be here?
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

taunton_gull wrote:
Asked if it was a difficult decision to leave us he basically says 'No not really, don't get me wrong I enjoyed my football there but I felt the time was right to move on.'
Fair play, can't argue with that. If the player himself wanted to go, there was little point holding him here. Just hope we were at least reasonably well compensated.