5 worst/least favourite players since watching TUFC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Burnhamgull wrote:The OP asks for Worst/LEAST Favourite players to play for United. Hill is one of my least favourite simply because the hero worship for the guy seemed a tad over the top to me.

He worked hard, yes.
He wasn't a commanding player in the middle for us.
He didn't score loads of goals.
He wasn't a skillful player by any stretch of the imagination.

He played for us at a time when money was incredibly tight (like we're a rich club now?). I've always thought he had contracts renewed because he was cheap, a squad player and possibly a yes man.

Everyone has their own opinion, this is mine.
Whilst it's your opinion on Hill being your least favourite player, I have to disagree with your comments about why.

He played predominantly on the left, therefore it was never it job to be commanding in the middle. Equally, it was never his role to score goals, but equally his goal scoring record was not too bad for someone who played on the left.

Over 400 appearances under several different managers, mainly as a starter indicate he was more than a squad player.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Like I said, he was probably an inexpensive player to employ. Bateson loved low wages.

I didn't say he was a commanding player in the middle, I merely pointed out that he was not an influential player for us and therefore I've never understood the level of hero worship for him.

Indeed, he did play a lot of times for the club for several different "managers" but at no point did any other club want to buy him. What does that tell you? Perhaps Kevin had no ambition.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Your exact quote is 'he wasn't a commanding player in the middle for us'. I'm merely stating that was never his role therefore he shouldn't be judged on this.

Most fans love him because although he was never the best player on the pitch, he always gave 100% and made the best of what he had. As a fan I appreciate a player more at the club who gives his best every game and who maybe wasn't the best player at a the club, than someone who was better player who could sometimes be non-existent (ie Constantine, Howe etc).

Hill is a club legend because of how he played, the fact he gave his all, and the loyalty he showed.
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

Agreed Hill always gave 100%, his jump was better than many so called taller centre forwards but most of all he will go down in legend for the "he's behind you " goal
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Hilly an absolute TUFC legend. No need at all to criticise him.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Proper hero legend for being one of the nicest people God ever put on His Earth. Have a look at the recent heroes and see that none of them has any special ability. Branston, Hargreaves, Hilly, Manse (to a lesser degree), not an ounce of skill between them (perhaps Jesus had a modicum) but all certified legends of the club for reasons beyond their ability.

Burnham, any reason for 'managers' being in quotation marks?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I've used the inverted comma's because of the likes of Cornforth and Saunders who were cheap options. To be fair, the new board have done much better with their appointments and at some point everybody has been happy with Buckle, Ling and now Knill.

Hill did always try but I have always felt the hero worship has been over the top. Just my opinion. I like players with a bit of skill. The lasting memory of Hill is that he could jump high. Hardly inspiring stuff. If I wanted to watch huffers and puffers, I could watch the local pub teams instead of travelling all over to watch the Gulls.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

clint boulton now he was a another great player, play anywhere on the pitch,and always gave his all, never let the side down even played half a match in goal at home i think to tranmere and played well . :bow:
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

I generally try not to dwell too much on negatives, but I am surprised and confused that I've just read 5 pages of people's "worst ever" TUFC players, and not ONE of you has mentioned Tyrone Thompson. Wow.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
PlainmoorBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorBob »

Anyone from Eddie May's midfield or Khalid Chalqi
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Did Hilly not turn down Yeovil when in the league above us?
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

PlainmoorBob wrote:Anyone from Eddie May's midfield or Khalid Chalqi

Funny how people see things differently. I liked Chalqi. Him and Richard Kell formed quite a promising midfield partnership when Colin Lee managed us during the Barnet Great Escape season. I was disappointed when Roy McFarland let him go.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Agree, he was by far the best of the French players we signed. Richard Kell scored a great lob if I remember, think we won 4-0, cant remember who against.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Kernowgull wrote:Agree, he was by far the best of the French players we signed. Richard Kell scored a great lob if I remember, think we won 4-0, cant remember who against.
I've checked Soccerbase, and the only game we won that he scored from open play was the 2-1 win against Lincoln, at their gaff.
Paul Holmes scored the second.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Think I was thinking of Danny Hollands then?