5 worst/least favourite players since watching TUFC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

1.Mark Hall (yes, I know you're saying 'who?' - exactly).
2. Mark Coombe (absolutely unforgettable and his performance against Exeter will always be called 'The Coombe match')
3. Jeff Tolchard
4. Derek Panter
5. Lee Andrews
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

jonnyfive wrote: Mamidou Sow and Carl Priso were dreadful. Didn't Sow get the shameful 'subbed-on, subbed-off' treatment?
The first time I saw Sow was when we beat Shrewsbury 2-1 for our first win of the season after our relegation - I think it was about 8 games in. Connell scored after about 40 seconds and joe Hart was in goal for the Shrews.

Sow played the first half and was awesome.

Then I went to Mansfield!

Has no one mentioned Paul Jarvie?
sam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: downes

Post by sam »

No no, you have got it all wrong. By far the worst player to play for Torquay United was Dale Mooney 1984/85. Surely people can remember him. Absolutely terrible.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

Andy Rowland (barn doors and banjos spring to mind)
Martin McNeil (all the mobility of a used skip)
Darren Rowbotham (came from the scum and when we kicked him out for being shit demanded a loyalty bonus....c&*t!) I don't yell abuse at players but I truely and rightly hated him!
Mark Coombe ( i think he still takes painkillers for the backache he got as an alledged keeper)
Macklin (3 years of complete waste)

Anyone naming Beds needs their bumps felt. He was my daughters favourite player and autographed the plaster cast on her broken arm when she was 3. Won't have a bad word said against him.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I know Beds did a lot of good things over a long period of time, but as stated above, that incident a Rushden still gives me nightmares, I just cant let it go!! I was slightly harsh in saying it was the worst individual performance of all time (that Ive witnessed in a Gulls shirt). That honour goes to Joe Oastler at Rovers last season!!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Kernowgull wrote:I know Beds did a lot of good things over a long period of time, but as stated above, that incident a Rushden still gives me nightmares, I just cant let it go!! I was slightly harsh in saying it was the worst individual performance of all time (that Ive witnessed in a Gulls shirt). That honour goes to Joe Oastler at Rovers last season!!

Not even close!

Steve Stacey away to Mansfield when O'Riordan was in charge.

He was so bad that Kevin Hodges had to go round to his side of the pitch to "coach" him through the game!!

Or of course Mark Coombe from that game against the Greeks!
The Farmers Friend
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by The Farmers Friend »

I always think it's a bit unfair to pick on the Dean Mooneys and Lee Andrews types - Andrews in particular gave his all, it's just that he wasn't good enough, whereas there were others in those poor teams who hid and barely pulled their weight, but no one remembers them and they seem to have got away with it.

So, for me, least favourite rather than worst:

Elliot Benyon - When I think of him, the first image that comes into my head is of him sitting on his arse in or around the penalty area with his hands in the air doing that childish 'Ref!' face. It's not just the diving, it's the fact that he often prefers to go to ground even when he's in a good scoring position. Needless to say, the thought of him signing up for another couple of years doesn't fill me with joy...

Jake Thompson - I've picked on him, but could be any number of those Premiership Academy types who come in on loan, put in one game's worth of an appearance and then sulk because Barcelona aren't immediately on the phone.

Gary Brabin - Memorable largely for launching a thigh-high challenge on a former team-mate against Hull and for a shot from outside the box that went out for a throw-in. Plus the DJ Lotsi 'Hey, Gary Brabin...' song. That still makes me chuckle.

Rhodri Giggs - Dodgy character.

Dave Webb - Well, he did play a couple of games for us.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Kernowgull wrote:I know Beds did a lot of good things over a long period of time, but as stated above, that incident a Rushden still gives me nightmares, I just cant let it go!! I was slightly harsh in saying it was the worst individual performance of all time (that Ive witnessed in a Gulls shirt). That honour goes to Joe Oastler at Rovers last season!!
that honour goes to joe oastler every time i saw him play for torquay!
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Come on you lot - you must have short memories. Surely the worst ever player must be LEON CONSTANTINE. Brilliant when on loan but when he signed a contract (our most expensive player at the time) he was absolutely dreadful. Lazy and didn't look as if he cared.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

[quote="The Farmers Friend"]I always think it's a bit unfair to pick on the Dean Mooneys and Lee Andrews types - Andrews in particular gave his all, it's just that he wasn't good enough, whereas there were others in those poor teams who hid and barely pulled their weight, but no one remembers them and they seem to have got away with it.

So, for me, least favourite rather than worst:

Elliot Benyon - When I think of him, the first image that comes into my head is of him sitting on his arse in or around the penalty area with his hands in the air doing that childish 'Ref!' face. It's not just the diving, it's the fact that he often prefers to go to ground even when he's in a good scoring position. Needless to say, the thought of him signing up for another couple of years doesn't fill me with joy...

Jake Thompson - I've picked on him, but could be any number of those Premiership Academy types who come in on loan, put in one game's worth of an appearance and then sulk because Barcelona aren't immediately on the phone.

Gary Brabin - Memorable largely for launching a thigh-high challenge on a former team-mate against Hull and for a shot from outside the box that went out for a throw-in. Plus the DJ Lotsi 'Hey, Gary Brabin...' song. That still makes me chuckle.

Rhodri Giggs - Dodgy character.

Dave Webb - Well, he did play a couple of games for us.[/quote]

Webb away to Orient in the cup.........embarrassing. :na:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

sam wrote:No no, you have got it all wrong. By far the worst player to play for Torquay United was Dale Mooney 1984/85. Surely people can remember him. Absolutely terrible.
You mean Dean Mooney. And his strike partner Benny Lareya was n't much better.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Phew thank god, was reading down throught the thread and couldn't understand how Dean Mooney didn't get voted as anyone's worst player, until sam saved the day.

Seem to remember webb signing him from Bournemouth, going to be the player who fired us to promotion, as said with out doubt the worst player ever to wear a TUFC shirt, as for the rest to may candidates.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Kernowgull wrote:Ha ha, I got into many a heated discussion about Tony Bedeau. I really disliked him from the moment he put in one of the all time worst performances Ive ever seen awsy at Rushden. He had a glorious opportunity to score, and not only didnt, but put so little effort into it, it was unbelievable. I wouldnt put him in the 5 worst, just really disliked him as a player after that!
I was also at that game, and I can remember that miss as if it was last week. Truly shocking. Lost the game 1-0 and looked for all the world like we were relegated!

Beds has also smacked a ball in my face while warming up :'(
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Here's a lineup to whet the appetite:

Andersen

Andrews
Angus
Sharp
Camara

Banim
McGorry
Brabin
McKoy

Simb
Priso

Subs:
Jarvie
McNeil
Afful
Easter
Benefield

Class side.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Enough of this Bedeau-bashing.

I loved him - as my 'favourite player' thing on the right states...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...