Martin Gritton returns to Chesterfield

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Martin Gritton returns to Chesterfield

Post by Richinns »

I have heard he has returned to Chesterfield? Is this rumour correct and if it is official have I missed this somewhere?

If true - does anyone have any info if we have someone lined up to replace him? The squad is remarkably small now!
Last edited by Richinns on 10 Jan 2011, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Thanks - seems like I did miss this!

Some bigger clubs in for Benyon and O'Kane now then.

Must admit would be more upset seeing O'Kane go as we have not had the pleasure of seeing him play in a Torquay shirt for that long and we might not get his real value in a transfer currently. If they both do move on in January then we really will need to recruit as we would have significantly less than the bare bones then!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

This article and the news to which it relates hardly changes anything. Gritts was a bit part player at best. From what I've heard (I was not lucky enough to have seen him in his heyday) he was a shadow of his former self. He provided absolutely no goal threat. He was not without his uses, but he was a very specific luxury which the club can ill afford.
As for the news regarding Benners and EoK, honestly, who didn't already know that these two (and others) are linked constantly with L1/Championship clubs?
Nice of Dave Thomas (unchecked) to write this piece, but it's just telling us something we already know.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I was one of those fortunate enough to watch Martin the first time around, and I have to be honest he was disappointing the second time around. He was much slower, didn't shoot as much and didn't seem to hold the ball up as much as he did before. However he had a different team around him this time so maybe he wasn't getting the same service as before?
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Didn't have a great impact on the pitch during his latest stint at the club, but he appears to be a model pro, and i'm sure he had an influence around the younger lads in training. Sorry to see him go, because he would have been able to offer a particular option when required - i.e as an outlet to hold the ball up field when defending a lead. He remains a good target, even if the pace (such that he ever had) has disappeared. Best of luck to him in the future, he'll always be well thought of in my household. I shall continue to follow his exploits on Twitter, where he's always an entertaining read! I do wonder if there will be someone coming in? We have 2 strikers + Zebs at the club now. And one of them is seemingly on the verge of departure....
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

The only good thing he did on his 2nd spell here was holding the ball up. I never, for example even saw him have a shot on goal!

Right decision to send him back

Good luck to him- I can't see him being a league player much longer.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Richinns wrote: If true - does anyone have any info if we have someone lined up to replace him? The squad is remarkably small now!
As with Wayne Carlisle and Danny Senda, the decks are being cleared for new signings ?

Loanees or permanent signings, that is the question.

Good luck and best wishes to Martin Gritton on the next step in your career.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Sad that Gritton has gone, but not altogether surprising.

He was nothing like the player he used to be. He used to be a reasonably mobile big man, but wasn't outstanding in the air for a player of his size. Well that "reasonable mobility" has gone, and that means he hasn't really got enough in his locker. Seen him play a few times this season, and a couple of those games (Gillingham, Chesterfield) he had absolutely zero impact. Southend he did o.k, giving us an outlet and he seemed to do o.k at Stevenage, but at no point did he really look like troubling the scorers.

Never spoken to the guy but from what I understand he was a genuinely nice guy and - as said above - a model professional. Hopefully he can get a move somewhere else (the BSP perhaps) and get some gametime and some form back.

I hope this less than successful second spell hasn't tarnished anyones view of Gritto, as he didn't do anything wrong per se, just didn't do much right either. I'm sure he was commanding a reasonable amount of cash as Chesterfield paid fair whack for him a couple of years ago. So thats 4 players out (Rose, Senda, Carlisle, Gritton) with as yet nobody coming in - I know things are tight but surely we need a couple of extra bodies for the rest of the season.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Yes Jeff, we certainly need a few more players in as we'll be facing two games a week including a run to the Wembley FA Cup Semi Final. :)

We might even go there again and win it. :O

The back again to win the playoff final. :O :clap: :O
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"