ITV/BBC and TUFC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

ITV/BBC and TUFC

Post by Northumbergull »

I never quite get used to this, but here goes with my regular TUFC Third Round moan...yet again, we pull off a minor upset and become one of the lowest ranked clubs left in the FA Cup. I patiently watch ITV this morning for the highlights. With five minutes of the programme to go, on comes our game.

I set my moby to stopwatch. All in all, our coverage amounted to UNDER 10 seconds.

Thanks for nothing!

I think, this side of us beating a full strength Man Ure side AT Old Trafford, having been 4-0 down at half-time, NOTHING will ever raise our profile! I'm utterly convinced that both the ITV AND BBC sports departments are chokka full of Excretia fans! Aaaaaaaargh! :evil:

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Our 1-0 win over a League 1 side isn't news compared to the David vs Goliath of Stevenage vs Newcastle.

10 seconds showing our goal is adequate, we'll gate paid for the coverage, and now we're through to the next round i'm quite sure our time will come.

Also I don't agree with the comment about the beeb, when we were scoring for fun and defending like demons the Football League Show was lapping it up, since we've slipped into the realms of mediocrity they've rightfully chosen to focus on the Chesterfields and Rotherhams.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Long felt that the media in the south west were anti "us" but put it down to loyalties, paranoia whatever on my part.

However it is mentioned to me quite often when my work mates from Bristol holiday in Devon & Cornwall about how little covearge we will recieve compared to particularly Argyle.

Did make me swear last though after working yesterday strugling to stay awake for what? less than 10secs.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Although I agree, having watched the highlights show last night I also noticed that the stvenage Newcastle game (considering it was centre stage) didn't run that long either. The ITV have a time schedule to fit all the games in and thought ours was worth 10 seconds. The overall program was poor really.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

perhaps we were spoilt a bit in the BSP with setanta.

as has been said when we were unbeaten the beeb were all over us - even filming the team having brekkie for gods sake!

and remember we were picked by the beeb for the cup when we rinsed yeovil! :lol:

and there were other teams that when thinking caused a bigger upset than us - they may have expected us to beat carlisle anyway after we beat warsaw!

lets hope for a great 4th round draw and the tv cameras! fingers crossed!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yellow4life wrote:Although I agree, having watched the highlights show last night I also noticed that the stvenage Newcastle game (considering it was centre stage) didn't run that long either. The ITV have a time schedule to fit all the games in and thought ours was worth 10 seconds. The overall program was poor really.
At least 15 minutes of the show were adverts..

It was 1/2 games, break, 2 games, break, 3 games, break, 1 game, break etc

Brilliant.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

sunday times didnt even mention our game in their round up let alone a report!
still keeping the faith
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bixieupnorth wrote:sunday times didnt even mention our game in their round up let alone a report!
snobs. :rofl: :evil: :lol:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Itv tried simply to cram to much in to a short space of time as normal,felt sorry for our former gilbert the gull who was the itv interviewer,did a post match interview with buckle and a couple of players and did not get on the tv.

Also as far as south west itv ,it all comes out of bristol now so we are further down the pecking order.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

The Observer had a big article on the game - only they spent 90% of the article sympathizing with the distance Carlisle had to travel in what was the tie with the furthest distance between the Clubs. They interviewed several Carlisle fans and then had a couple of paragraphs on the game mentioning the score, the scorer and - joke defending by Torquay!

The summary gave the game an 8/10 score for entertainment but refused to mention that in the article either.

We will have to beat teams like Man Utd if we are to get a decent mention from the national press/media.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Joke defending, is this right?
Carlisle had two shots of any real note, Zola (or whatever his name is) after 30 seconds, comfortably smothered by Bevan. A free kick from 25 yards, comfortably punched away by Bevan. What little else they created was headed away in siege gun fashion by The Birthday Boy.
It was hardly like they were knocking on the door for 90 minutes and we were aiding and abetting in a comedy manner.

On the subject of the thread, I am inclined to agree with the OP. We always seem to attract very little attention, which, while unjust, is not entirely to our disadvantage. I am more than happy for opposing teams and fans to believe, as they would be absolutely justified in so doing based upon our coverage in the media, that we are a poor side who create little of note going forward.

That said, it is enormously frustrating when we are involved in what was doubtless the game of the day in L2, losing 4-3 in injury time, and we still get less of a mention than a totally routine 2-0 Morecambe win over Crewe (this match may not have existed, it is for illustrative purposes only). I do often wonder if there might not be a custom of which we, as a club, are not aware. A payment or bribe payable to the Chief Exec or the DIrector General to secure favourable TV exposure.

This seems to be the attitude to L2 football in general. Sky Sports News is the worst offender. They always manage to go to an ad break just as the scrolling news displayed at the bottom of the screen is coming towards L2. It never cuts out just as a feature on Man Utd or Leeds or even Huddersfield comes up. There is absolutely no convincing me that it is accidental, it simply happens too often to be random.

Still, we'll live, it's not like we genuinely miss out. This will sound uncaring and unsympathetic to those exiles who cannot attend on a regular basis, but I'm not bothered about our telly coverage. If they want to dedicate 10 minutes to a match simply because it features 2 bigger teams, that's their choice. I know how good a game TUFC had, because I was there (most of the time). I know that, even if they only show the goal(s) that there were a myriad other chances which we created and a smorgasbord excellent moves and sublone football played by the team in yellow (or black). To my mind, and having witnessed the offerings of other sides in our division, we are one of the more photogenic teams. Gone are the bad old days of Histon FC style 'hoof ball' and returneth are the glory days of Eunan O' Kane (lb for lb, the best footballer in L2?) picking out Nicky Wroe, Chris Zebroski, Ash Hemmings et al.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"