Stadium name

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Plainmoor for me.

Pity we never struck up some sponsorship deal with Motorola, as their badge is almost identical to ours. When mates see my TUFC tattoo they always say 'nice Motorola Tattoo' in jest.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Hmm...McPlainmoor and the yellow M on our shirt would be interesting. It may keep all folks happy by striking a happy balance between history and shocking grub...

Only drawback is we would have to invite McPhee back on the bench.... :whistle:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Forest gull wrote:Plainmoor for me.

Pity we never struck up some sponsorship deal with Motorola, as their badge is almost identical to ours.When mates see my TUFC tattoo they always say 'nice Motorola Tattoo' in jest.
me too mate. :-/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Thin end of the wedge! The next thing you know people will be voting for an awful looking yellow and white striped shirt which they will actually expect our players to want to wear. Barking ;-)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

stefano wrote:Thin end of the wedge! The next thing you know people will be voting for an awful looking yellow and white striped shirt which they will actually expect our players to want to wear. Barking ;-)
doubt that will ever happen............ 8/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

stefano wrote:Thin end of the wedge! The next thing you know people will be voting for an awful looking yellow and white striped shirt which they will actually expect our players to want to wear. Barking ;-)
For a grand a week they can and will wear whatever we want them to! Genuinely not a fave of yours then Stef? Seems to remind me of the great Tom Kelly... or have I mixed up my eras?
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

jonnyfive wrote: For a grand a week they can and will wear whatever we want them to! Genuinely not a fave of yours then Stef? Seems to remind me of the great Tom Kelly... or have I mixed up my eras?
No J5 I didn't like that kit the first time around although we did have a damned good team. It is not that important mind. Over 50 seasons I have seen loads of different kits, some I have liked and some I haven't. I certainly wouldn't stop supporting because I didn't like the kit! There are a small number of members on here who can remember us in black and white. Now that would be retro!

As far as the ground name is concerned whilst it is geographically correct that Plainmoor is an area of Torquay (just as Anfield is an area of Liverpool) if you asked people from other parts of the country where Plainmoor was they would say it is where the Torquay football team play. Without the football team very few would have heard of Plainmoor. It is part of the history and tradition of the club, and the only time to change it will be when we have to vacate Plainmoor for a brand new purpose built stadium that will cater for Premiership and top European games.

Plainmoor it remains then ..... ;-)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Modgull wrote:What's wrong with Plainmoor?
Forest gull wrote:Plainmoor for me.

stefano wrote: It is part of the history and tradition of the club, and the only time to change it will be when we have to vacate Plainmoor for a brand new purpose built stadium.

Plainmoor it remains then ..... ;-)

:nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

ferrarilover wrote: It's a no from me. Plenty of ways to raise the cash we need, without selling our souls to some local meat merchant or whatever.
Fair enough; presumably you'll also be wanting to give all the money to CityLink builders, remove the logo for the kit, give back all of the matchday sponsorship, ball sponsorship, and replace the advertising hoarding with signs that say "please come to Plainmoor to watch the game, because now we're *really* skint"?

I understand the resistance to selling the stadium naming rights, but you can't bring out the "without selling our souls" argument when that ship sailed decades ago. I don't care if it gets renamed the Embarrassing Venereal Disease Stadium as long as we get some £££ for it. (this would actually work great because when away fans visit they can say that their team is a "goner here". Haha!) The only people who'd call it would be the club in the programme, and the TV people. we'd still call it 'Plainmoor'.
Forest_gull wrote: Pity we never struck up some sponsorship deal with Motorola, as their badge is almost identical to ours. When mates see my TUFC tattoo they always say 'nice Motorola Tattoo' in jest.
I've been saying for years that we should sue them for copyright infringement. Our badge must have been around longer than they have - they owe us a fortune!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

happytorq wrote: I've been saying for years that we should sue Motorola for copyright infringement. Our badge must have been around longer than they have - they owe us a fortune!
I would keep quiet about it! Motorola logo 1955. Our logo 1967/68. For the first few years our logo was the other way up than it is now. Meant to depict seagulls apparently although how has always been a bit of a mystery! ;-)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

34 bus route timetable adjusted :

Cary Parade, Fleet Street, Abbey Road, Union Street, Market Street, Ellacombe Green, Hoxton Road, Ellacombe School, Hatfield Cross, The Strictly Come Dancing District/Stadium, St.Marychurch, etc . . . . .

:lol: :whip:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

In 10-15 years time all stadiums will have sponsorship. I am for it. It's money! We have 6000 capacity ground with only 2000 through the gates. We should get a blow up doll company to sponsor the stadium and fill the other 4000 spaces with them.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

usagullmichigan wrote:In 10-15 years time all stadiums will have sponsorship. I am for it. It's money! We have 6000 capacity ground with only 2000 through the gates. We should get a blow up doll company to sponsor the stadium and fill the other 4000 spaces with them.
screw that: let's use them as players. think of the savings.

And they'd still be more effective than Carl Priso ever was.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Plainmoor.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Bizzare, strange and a tad hypercritical. We have sponsor on the front of the shirt, last season we had the Eastern Eye on the back of our shirts, this season Marsh Toyota, there is a match sponsor, a match ball sponsor .The players coaching staff heck for all I know even the kit man has a sponsor.

We have a flashy new score board with a range a sponsorship deals, including having your buisness name flashed up every time we score. Yet sell the naming rights to the staduim..oh we cant sell our souls..we already have if thats how you view sponsorship. How else are we going to make money?
Formerly known as forevertufc