Stadium name

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
goldenblue
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Mitchinson

Stadium name

Post by goldenblue »

Now that we have a football stadium to be proud of, isn't it time to name the stadium?
Plainmoor is the area where the ground is situated not the name of the ground, in as much as Celtic play at Celtic Park not Parrkhead which is the name of the area where their ground is situated.
Would'nt it be nice to come up with a name for the ground before some commercial company gets hold of it, I can see the day when Torquay United will be playing football at the Sutton Seeds Stadium!
I'll kick it off, what about "The Riviera Stadium"
Suggestions on a postcard to Andrew Candy...........
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I like plainmoor.
The gulls are going up
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

What's wrong with Plainmoor?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

When it comes to money I am no sentimentalist.

I would favour any sponsored name as long as it gave the club some cash.

I think that I mentioned on here before that Devon club Willand Rovers signed a deal with Stan Robinson transport to rename Silver Street "The Stan Robinson Stadium". Locals still call it Silver Street but the club did get a fat cheque for the deal. Why Willand can do it but not Torquay is beyond me altough incidentally Bruce Henderson, who is Exeter City's Commercial manager got that deal for Willand Rovers. A visit to Sid James tells a story on how commercial that club is.

I suppose what I am saying, and I will not be popular here with all, is that the ground name is an assett that should be exploited IMO
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I agree with MidDevon.

I will always refer to the ground as Plainmoor, much like all Newcastle fans and the football media refer to their ground as St James park, regardless of what bizarre sponsorship deal they have.

If some company want to put a few £k into the club for the privilege of having their name against the ground, I'll still be able to sleep at night. Everyone else is doing it, which suggests we're missing a trick.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

How about The Social Benefits stadium? Be about right for Torquay.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

:red: Other teams play vacuous music when they score too. The club tried that but the groundswell of opinion was that it was completely brainless, and summed up all that is wrong with the plastic product that football is becoming.

No KitKat Crescent here, thanks very much!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Given some thought I'm sure we could make ourselves appear less like a traditional British football club and more like a commercial organisation willing to bin any part of it's heritage if it'll bring in a few extra bob.

How about retitling ourselves Tesco United, and renaming Plainmoor the 'Every Little Helps' stadium ? Blue & white striped shirts next season to identify with the carrier bags (rather than yellow & white). Tesco Value Player of the Season Award...and a long ball game instigated by Lingy to identify more closely with Tesco Direct. The new scoreboard can list the weeks special offers and bargains and different local Tesco employees can take turns in selecting the pre match music, or just play some tracks from an album that hasn't been selling as well as expected in local stores.

I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface regarding the various ways we could sell out the club, but ditching the Plainmoor name would certainly show our intent.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Alpine Joe wrote:Given some thought I'm sure we could make ourselves appear less like a traditional British football club and more like a commercial organisation willing to bin any part of it's heritage if it'll bring in a few extra bob.

How about retitling ourselves Tesco United, and renaming Plainmoor the 'Every Little Helps' stadium ? Blue & white striped shirts next season to identify with the carrier bags (rather than yellow & white). Tesco Value Player of the Season Award...and a long ball game instigated by Lingy to identify more closely with Tesco Direct. The new scoreboard can list the weeks special offers and bargains and different local Tesco employees can take turns in selecting the pre match music, or just play some tracks from an album that hasn't been selling as well as expected in local stores.

I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface regarding the various ways we could sell out the club, but ditching the Plainmoor name would certainly show our intent.
Great post and on the button IMHO. :goodpost: :clap:

Where do we stop,Torquay Tesco United Dairies?
TUST No 278
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It is all very well getting all high and mighty about selling out to some corperate sponsor R.E our ground name, but the plain fact of the matter is our attendances are barely if at all covering costs now as it is, we all want to see our club continue to compete at the top end of League 2 maybe even make the jump into League 1, with out sponsorship niether will happen.

We have far to many fans who would rather stay at home drinking bovril on a cold day mixed with the apathetic public of the bay, if it would put the £'ssss in the bank go out and find a ground name sponsor..those who dont like climb of the high horse, its money our club needs, sentiment dont pay the bills.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Roberts Arena ?

Only joking but I think you may have guessed that. Intially I was defensive when I read this but why not. We've spent years promoting the fact we're a family club so if something along those lines would appeal to a sponsor then why not take advantage. Crealy, Woodlands hard to think of a family orientated buisness now I've said that,,,,,, THE PIZZA HUT ARENA !

Having said all that would this idea be viable given that we don't actually own the ground? Maybe we should wait until we do?
Last edited by Dave_Pougher on 30 Dec 2012, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

OUCH ! !! :devil: :devil: :devil:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well if someone with the name Roberts offered the club all the money it needed to go out and sign the 25 goal a season striker we all crave, in return for re-naming the staduim "Roberts area" Then why not ? If that was to happen (and Iam sure it won't) and we said no, would that not be cutting our own nose off to spite our face some what.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Given our more recent form we should perhps consider approaching Lastminute.com =D
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Stadium. Need I say more?

Sponsorship ruins the names of things. Has anyone watched any horse racing of late?
Coming up next, the 2:30 at Sandown, also known as the, "my wife wanted a gold watch for her birthday, but I got to Goldsmiths in Torquay high street a little bit late and didn't have time to go to the bank to withdraw the cash and, a few days earlier, the magnetic strip on my credit card had rubbed off so I couldn't use that either, so I went to the Esso garage down the road and got her a bunch of flowers and two pints of semi skimmed milk but when I gave these to her she hated them and called her divorce lawyer and moved in with her sister for a fortnight so in one last desperate attempt to salvage our marriage I bought a horse race and called it the I love Mary Smith very very much" stakes.

It's a no from me. Plenty of ways to raise the cash we need, without selling our souls to some local meat merchant or whatever.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"