Stadium name

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Stupid boy Chris! Soul selling involves naming the stadium, hence the title of the thread. Other sponsorship is incidental, it goes largely unnoticed, so it's not a problem. Having a ground with a stupid name just gets you laughed at.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

ferrarilover wrote:Stupid boy Chris! Soul selling involves naming the stadium, hence the title of the thread. Other sponsorship is incidental, it goes largely unnoticed, so it's not a problem. Having a ground with a stupid name just gets you laughed at.
Of course. It's not as if Torquay United ever gets laughed at for anything, is it? 8/

I just don't see the difference between selling the stadium naming rights, and selling the stand naming rights. Which we've done already.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I think it's because no one notices the names of other things. I couldn't tell you the official names of any of our stands, but I can tell you the name of the ground. The name of the ground is a key element for a football club. It's a bit like a bloke called Joe Smith living in a house called PhlegmGoblin and driving a car called a PenisEater 1.6, all the while the guy's name is Joe Smith, no one will really notice. As soon as Joe goes to Deed Poll and becomes Louise Smith or Mary Smith or CockSucker Smith or PokerStars.com Smith, then people will sit up and take notice and, largely, take the piss.

Perhaps you're right, perhaps we do get laughed at, but then, the worst thing the fat kid with braces can do is go to the opticians and get a pair of glasses. Why make ourselves look dafter than needs be? What we really need is some local entrepreneur to start a company called Plainmoor PLC and then they can sponsor the ground.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote: Why make ourselves look dafter than needs be?

Matt.
Do you still have a bright orange car?

As for stadium sponsorship, some work and some don't. As Matt says Dagenham's is an abomination but I don't think anyone at Bolton complains about playing at The Reebok or Arsenal at The Emirates. Although I guess these may be easier to stomach as they were new grounds as opposed to renaming existing stadia.

Personally, as long as we were paid enough I couldn't care less what name the ground is officially known by, as others have stated we will still call it Plainmoor whoever the sonsors might be.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Good shout in the OP for "The Riviera Stadium" I think it would be a great name, plus it would go hand in hand with "The Bay" being played on the big screen. I can only wish though :-/
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

ferrarilover wrote:Stupid boy Chris! Soul selling involves naming the stadium, hence the title of the thread. Other sponsorship is incidental, it goes largely unnoticed, so it's not a problem. Having a ground with a stupid name just gets you laughed at.

Matt.
It's like F1 Matt, it's all about sponsorship. Once upon a time it would have been ridiculous to sponsor a shirt. It's going with the times. Give it time and will be sponsor a corner flag and a blade of grass.
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

jonnyfive wrote: 30 Dec 2012, 12:24 :red: Other teams play vacuous music when they score too. The club tried that but the groundswell of opinion was that it was completely brainless, and summed up all that is wrong with the plastic product that football is becoming.

No KitKat Crescent here, thanks very much!
Most people ( including around 80 % of Liverpool supporters ) have becomevwell p ssed off with English football !.

Souless , in the main , plastic seat stadiums , with , in the main , in the higher divisions , players with VASTLY " over inflated " egos !...

At least it is a startv, that German style safe terracing is coming into many grounds e.g. Shrewsbury Town and " blatant diving " to con the ref , is going to be heavily penalised wirh " player bans " , for a period of time.

ABOUT BLOODY TIME !...
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Surely, Toquay and the Plainmoor locality has a deep and long-standing with another name. You must know it!
I still prefer Plainmoor, but if another name is to be chosen, particularly if we move, it has to be the name of the ground in the Babbacombe Model Village. Unless its changed since I went regularly as a boy, then the obvious name is Wombley Stadium. ! QED :clap: