Attendances

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Awayday wrote: Being demographics is 99% of my job, did you really think I didn't know what it was???? Did you not know I was an ANILIST :lol:
A what? ;-)
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

happytorq wrote: Hey - I'm sure that we're probably in line with a lot of clubs in the division, and we even compare favourably to several. But what I am saying is the demographics of the area mean that prices of this sort are not really sustainable. Torbay is in a depressed financial state, and has been for several years - the salaries are generally pretty crappy, because there is not a huge amount of business that is not tourism-based. You can throw numbers around about our 'catchment area' and all that stuff, but really you should be looking at numbers of viable supporters. You need to factor in the people who have enough of a disposable income to spend on tickets (this percentage would be lower than most places), as well as the people who are active followers of football (again, i'd guess this is also lower than the national average). Saying there are 100,000 potential 'customers' in the Bay area to compare with somewhere like Exeter is misleading. 100,000 people might be about right, but once you consider that a place like Exeter has a lot more going for it financially, such as a large student population (disposable income) and a more active non-tourism based economy, I think we see where the real differences are.

It's the same old story as we've always had. Do we want to risk the financial well being of the club just in the hope of attracting a few more fans? Just say that of the 2500 people we get most weeks, 2000 are paying the full £16. If you make the prices...say a tenner (which would a great price to advertise), you'd need to attract 1200 more people just to break even. really, how likely is that?

Is the supporter's trust still handing out the posters that advertise the games to local business? they did that when I was at the bookies and I thought that was a great idea.

I full understand the current economic state of the bay/south Devon, also understand fully about the segments of the population in the area, who might be children that rely on mum s and dad s to take them, 35-55 who have family s and can not afford to take all of the children so take none, and more importantly for this area the number of over 60 s who can not go for various reasons.

However I am focusing our first conference season, at times zero away support lower level of football, yet and average gate of near 3200 that season, if we had enjoyed league 2 level s of away support, the club would have enjoyed an average not far short of 4000 for that season, and the likes of Nortel had already packed up and left by then.

I am not suggesting that the club could add 1000 to the gate, because of the reasons above that s clearly not the case, however 500 is realistic ,which does not sound a lot, as said before it would bring in £150k plus in extra income, which would give the club scope to move forward .

To me it is about targeting, those fans like the lad I mentioned before ,who spent the Saturday afternoon in the pub because he can not afford the £16 ,getting the message across that the club has improved it is bigger and better than before, which in turn might help some fans to get there passion back.

And target the segment of the local population as mentioned before 18-30 year olds, who currently have no problem going to the pub on Sunday parting with £40-60 who do have disposable income, watching premier league football.

The club has to convince these people that for just £16 ,(which is less than a family sized pork roasting joint)you can come along and watch real live professional football, and shout and scream support a team for real, rather than shouting at the t.v, where no one can hear you.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I think we have to get past this idea that people can be persauded and cajoled into coming to Plainmoor. If Torquay Athletic Rugby Club made a great effort to sell the Rugby club to me, it would fall on deaf ears - because i'm just not interested in Rugby. I think we have to concede that most people in the Bay simply aren't boteherd about going to the football. If people wanted to be there, and could afford to be there, they'd be there. The 'Family Ticket' idea is worth a try, but beyond there, i don't see there is much to be done.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Fonda wrote:I think we have to get past this idea that people can be persauded and cajoled into coming to Plainmoor. If Torquay Athletic Rugby Club made a great effort to sell the Rugby club to me, it would fall on deaf ears - because i'm just not interested in Rugby. I think we have to concede that most people in the Bay simply aren't boteherd about going to the football. If people wanted to be there, and could afford to be there, they'd be there. The 'Family Ticket' idea is worth a try, but beyond there, i don't see there is much to be done.
So fonda, let me get this straight...... Are you saying that there are people out there not only into rugby rather than football but worse still not into football at all? Who are these people, and why do they all live in Exeter?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I've brought this thread back from the dead (archive pages) for a couple of reasons.

Since this thread started on September 11th, the attendances have dropped by another couple of hundred. A draw and three defeats at home have not helped. However, the team are now on a run of three wins. I hope now, at least, the missing several hundred will turn up on Saturday (Barnet), as it is one of only two games at home this month, the other being the FA Cup 2nd Round.

Saturday's game is being built up as a game with atmosphere. Great, fine, let's give it all we can with singing, clapping, chanting. And NO FECKIN MUSIC if and when a goal is scored.

Now for something completely different : raising attendances by any means.
Being a Popsider, I've noticed the turnstile staff walk past in front of the Popside during the first half. Not everyone who wants to attend a match can get there in time for kick-off and are therefore deterred from attending at all for several reasons.

Why are the turnstiles not open up to and during half time ? Why dont the club offer a proportionally reduced entrance fee for supporters, lets say, who arrive at and during half time ? And why are the gates not freely open during the last 15 to 20 minutes of a game ?

Sadly, the answer to the last question is because Health and Safety are inflicted with that mental illness called political correctness. To defy common sense is one thing, to defy logic simultaniously is another matter. Politically correct retards who defy common sense logic will finish as collateral in the final solution of the politically correct question. :twisted:

Be there in numbers Saturday and give the team the best wholesome support you can. :)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The attendance against Barnet went up slightly from the Morecambe match by another 75 attendees. Realistically, I don t see attendances improving much this side of New Year for numerous reasons mentioned elsewhere in the thread, although I m hopeful they will.

I will hold my hand up right now and admit to being someone who stopped going to Plainmoor for years…..the cost, the money better spent on some other recreational activity (pub), excuses, excuses, etc. and this after my playing days were over. You will not hear me having a pop at someone who plays their football on a Saturday rather than watching their local professional team, as you ll have plenty of years, hopefully, to watch games.

I had not lost my interest in following Torquay United from the armchair; I would listen to matches on Radio Devon and keep up to date by reading the local newspapers. The habit of going soon became the habit of not going. :(

Then a few seasons ago my brother invited me to his house for a traditional Sunday roast dinner; it was the day Torquay beat Stevenage 4-2 at Plainmoor. “Fancy going to the game “he said. “Not really “said I. After a few more beers we went. The habit of not going soon became the habit of going. :)

What makes match day for me now, is the whole day and evening, not just the 90 minutes plus time added on for stoppages and the visit to B&L halftime. :)

To improve attendances then, let s all work on trying to get the lapsed and occasional supporters back first. It worked in my case.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
mcgull1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodny Jack Jack Jack

Post by mcgull1 »

Having been down to Torquay carnival today, i was stood amongst the thousands of locals who turned out, thinking what a massive missed opportunity by the club in so many ways......... :rofl:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well heard it said around plainmoor,and on variuos forums,£18 to much to pay to watch Tufc,reduce the prices see the fans come back.

Well £12 today,and still only 2100 home fans,not sure what the club can do,or whether the good people of torbay really want a foorball club,shocking turn out.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Yes, the attendance was poor again.

I think the Board have to accept that the people of Torbay are not going to support the Club in greater numbers - we really will struggle to launch a sustainable promotion bid in the foreseeable future, if ever.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

if they made it free, we'd struggle to top 3000 i reckon, no ones interested down there
still keeping the faith
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

I think if we continue to keep the pice at £12 for the next 3/4 home games and assess it then as we have just got through to the third round we are going well in the league, dropping them for one game and then saying it's not worked is silly when we still need to market properly and if after the next 3/4 home games the attendance hasn't gone up sufficiantly when we are doing so well then it needs looking at .
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well Ive been going to Plainmoor for 30+ years and the attendance we are getting now is about average.

The 1st BSP season had improved attendances and this was due in my opinion to 2 reasosns, one we were expecting to win and the other and I think this hs not been mentioned is that the teams we were playing were mostly new to us, and this was refreshing and interesting.

I fact the games i the BSP weere enjoyable I thought as well.

The economic situatio of the bay has an impact as well, it is oe of the most deprived areas i the country remember, where wages and unemployment are some of the worst.
TUST MEMBER
NewtonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by NewtonGull »

the reason i cant get to home games is because of the prices. yesterday was the first home game i've been to this season- only because of the discounted price. does anybody know if the club are going to do half season tickets this season?
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Why would we want more fans to attend? I had to wait in line for the whole of the half time and missed the first few minutes of the game just trying to get three cups of hot chocolate, can you imagine how long it would take with more fans. SORT OUT THE CATERING TUFC ITS A DISGRACE.
As for the entertainment as long as you sit by the tunnel you can see it but the popside its a far way off and with their backs to you. But well done for trying.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

NewtonGull wrote:the reason i cant get to home games is because of the prices. yesterday was the first home game i've been to this season- only because of the discounted price. does anybody know if the club are going to do half season tickets this season?
Not sure about the half-season tickets, but if you're under 19 then its £6 per home game for the remainder of the season. Bargain. :-D