Torquayfans.com Player of the season award

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
JoeBarlow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Torquayfans.com Player of the season award

Post by JoeBarlow »

This is an idea I had during the summer in the close season which is to present a bottle of champagne to the forums player of the season and has the backing of Louis for which I`m grateful for.

The way it`ll work (I hope) is that after every match home and away I`ll start a thread where people can post thier top 5 players from that match (Torquay players only), 1 being the best performance being the best. The points systems goes like this:

1st: 10 pts
2nd: 8pts
3rd: 6pts
4th: 4pts
5th: 2pts

Just before the last home game (Saturday, 30 April: Torquay v Chesterfield) the player with the most points will win the bottle of champagne and I`ll present that player with the champagne and I`ll take some pictures and post them up here of course.

It would be great if as many people would get involved right form the off after the Accy game tomorrow. You can leave post on every thread I do or you can PM me either way and I`ll add the points up. Any player counts (loan or permanently) and post updates on the 1st of every month to show how the players are doing.

This is the Offical Torquayfans.com player of the season award which I`ll present and maybe if Dave and Louis are at the last home game then I`ll get them in the photo. So I`ll start a thread after the Accy game tomorrow and hope you get voting away. Remember it is your top 5 players from every match, with 1 being the best player from that match.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

It is a good idea but was it your idea? Because Gulliball started this before the site went down...
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Is this not similar to what TFF do, aswell...?
nananana
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Micky Cave

Post by nananana »

Oh please no...........not the dreaded bottle of Champagne!
It's a sobering thought, but in a hundred years or less, every person that uses this site will be dead!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

NickGull wrote:Is this not similar to what TFF do, aswell...?

Good to see you back ;-)

Also nice to know we both have our favourite player in common!

Back to the topic- I'm not sure about this idea though.
JoeBarlow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JoeBarlow »

JamieE wrote:It is a good idea but was it your idea? Because Gulliball started this before the site went down...

It was Gulliball`s idea to start the thread about player of the matches but I thought of the champagne thing and the points system for it. I spoke to both Louis and Dave about this and both have backed it and I tried to get in touch with Gulliball before the site went down but he didnt get the pm before it went down.

Also Nick I think TFF did it differently to this of course.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I'm with HoHG on this one the fuss last time was ridiculous. :|

Gulliball did come up with a points system too.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Not a bad idea, but could we come up with a better prize than a bottle of plonk from Sainsbury's? It just screams "Crap, we couldn't think of what else to give", plus these are professional athletes so I'm not sure we want to be encouraging them to drink.

Get them some kind of trophy to keep and see if we could get a permanent trophy, perhaps to be displayed in the Trophy Cabinet at Plainmoor.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

I agreed when Gulliball mentioned this that it's a good idea..two points I would make however. Firstly that 5 players is maybe stretching it a bit, would it not be better to just vote on the top two or three outstanding performances? And secondly, and no offence Joe, but surely all the voting should be transparent, ie votes cast on the board and not via pm.

Not that I can remember the match 10 minutes after the final whistle these days :Oops:
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Also, are you going to limit this to people who only went to the games? bc that's impractical; how are you going to prove it?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Damn, never thought of that one Haps. Ticket stubs? :)
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Good idea!! :)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

After the Buck s Fizz incident I m not too sure about this.

After his presentation to Bucks last year on behalf of the TFF Joe is clearly associated with that organisation which, when all said and done, is probably his natural home.

My concern would be if there was confusion about whether this award came from an independent TUFC supporters forum, ......or from the TFF.

I also echo the concerns of happytorq in that it could look a bit tacky just like the TFF presentation last season.

5 votes is too many BTW. One or two should suffice.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think we can do better than this.

How about a trophy, bought by our members on an annual basis, presented by a democratically voted "Poster of the Year"?

Joe can still do his presentation personally if he wishes and as it's an original idea the TFF can't moan at us for "pinching" their idea.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
JoeBarlow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JoeBarlow »

Yellow, could I just say that my presentation was NOTHING to do with TFF, it was just me on my own and that I`m just a member there as I am on here, no job at all on there. Just to be clear about that please to avoid confusion.

I`ll talk to Dave later on to see what he thinks and decide later on, of course I take everyones veiews on this and will try and amend this. The champagne itself I dont think is a sainbury`s cheap plonk but not expensive.