Best and Worst of 2010

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Best and Worst of 2010

Post by Plymouth Gull »

So, another calendar year draws to and end, and another year of football is almost done with.

Recall your best and worst memories of 2010 here, related to TUFC.

For me, the best ones are probably the following (in no particular order)..

Torquay 5-0 Rochdale

Result speaks for itself, really. I was 99% sure we'd lose this and be in the deep shit, but this result proved a huge turning point.

Cheltenham 1-1 Torquay

Cold, wet, horrible tuesday night. Playing shite, that penis Barry Hayles' attempt at a cross has flown over Bevs head. Continue playing shite, in what many deemed as a 6-pointer. Step forward Muzzy (before he turned amazing). A low attempt which normally would be easy for a keeper to save megged 3 players including the keeper in the 91st minute. Undeserved, but who gives a crap! Made the journey home worthwhile.

Port Vale 1-2 Torquay

Everybodys favourites for the title. Going into their backyard, humbling their 'impressive' frontline, silencing their supporters with two early goals. Could and should have been more if I remember rightly. Also credit to Scotty Bevs for an incredible triple save as we were on the back foot in the 2nd half.

Shrewsbury 1-1 Torquay

Best footballing performance I've ever witnessed under Buckle, and since that 3-1 victory at Cheltenham under Leroy. Incredible to watch, and its beyond me how we didnt get 3 points.

Now for the worst...

Torquay 1-3 Macc

This game showed to me that our home form was a bit of a problem. We'd been poor against Accrington, but this took it to a new level. We continued to be shit until we beat Walsall a couple of weeks back.

Torquay 2-3 Burton & Torquay 1-2 Bradford

2-0 up and comfortable against Burton, and somehow we bottled it. Same with Bradford. Leading until the 90th minute, somehow we lost. Shambles.

Torquay 2-3 Lincoln

The Somma Show, this should be named. Absolutely rinsed our defence on several occasions, which would have been good to watch for a Lincoln fan, but horrible for us.

I'd say its been a good year overall, stayed up, and doing well this season. Lets keep it up in 2011!!
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

The worse day for me was, without question, the truely pathetic way we lost 2.0 at Morecambe, we should have been deducted points for putting on a display like that where we were clueless in every part of the field. After that match I really thought we would go down.

The best day of the year for me was the comprehensive victory at Grimsby Town. It was a long way to travel and as we got closer to the match, the importance of the result grew for Grimsby. From memory Darlington were down and it was between us, Barnet and Grimsby for the other place. I knew we would mess it up, because we always do! but we didn't. The fact that the home supporters were so hostile added that bit of edge to a match that I will never forget
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

yes middevon the game at grimsby was a class peformance - especially as the pickler was sent off with 30mins left!!

and those total tools that pretended to be grimsby fans running on the pitch and trying to join us in the away end at the end of the game!!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Being a lincolnshire lad, that Grimsby match was brilliant! Took two of my neutral mates along and they loved it, we destroyed the mariners and secured safety, the gulls won a few fans that day.

Worst match for me was probably the Lincoln at home match, as previously said Somma just outclassed our midfield and defence, and we did well to score 2 and make the result less embarrasing than the display.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Before the 2009 - 10 season started, I predicted that we would put 5 clear goals past a couple of teams. As it hadn't happened for a while, we were due. The first 5 - 0 against Darlington home was not a surprise. The second 5 - 0 against Rochdale home was. It's my best memorable moment of 2010 so far. Remember, weather permitting, we still have two games to go before 2011.

The worst moment ?

I am sure we were all shocked and saddened at the sudden passing of Mr. Paul Bristow. His generous legacy lives on and it is the duty of all of us to ensure Mr. Bristow's generosity is carried on to further success.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I'm going to try and rate 2010 on games that I attended.

Best:

Aldershot 0-2 Torquay

Absolutely amazing evening, never experienced an atmosphere like it from the Torquay fans. Completely outplayed and out sung Aldershot from start to finish. Plus the fact it was on the back of the Rochdale result, it was a great day all in all.

Bournemouth 0-0 Torquay (JPT)

OK, maybe not the best game in the world, but still can't believe how we didn't concede in the shoot-out. Again great atmosphere from the Gulls fans and our clean sheet record continued. Was worth getting stuck on the M27 on the way to Bournemouth.

Torquay 3-0 Northampton

I must say I was confident we could carry on from where we left off last season and we duly delivered. Also the day I bumped into Westbay and SG at half time. Great performance, top of the league, happy days.

Of course, the Rochdale & Grimsby result are also up there.

Worst:

Torquay P-P Rotherham

Was going to attend the game, but couldn't. Stupid snow!!! :evil:

Torquay 1-3 Macclesfield

Listened to this on the radio, one word. Terrible

Torquay 2-3 Burton

Again didn't attend, but being 2-0 up in a short time to lose 3-2 was just heartbreaking. Remember saying on facebook how great we were playing.....yeah my fault.

And finally

AFC Singh 2-1 Torquay

OK, I know this was just before 2010 but still, just terrible, terrible dive and terrible refereeing!! :evil: :red:
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I think some of my lows of 2010 will take a bit of explaining, but here goes:

Highs

Aldershot 0 - 2 Torquay

Awesome evenings entertainment. Possibly one of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced, and it was a midweek away game. 90mins of singing, completely outsung the normally vocal home fans at their own place. And it was helped by a completely dominant performance on the pitch - this was an Aldershot side fighting at the right end of the table and we absolutely murdered them. After the goals went in it was one of the most comfortable games of football I've ever watched.

Wycombe 1 - 3 Torquay

The game after which my posting won me MOTM :-D another performance of unbelieveable quality. Some of the stuff we played at times was beyond description. It wasn't unfair to say we could have scored 6 or 7 and Wycombe couldn't have complained. On the basis of that performance the future looks rosy.

And even though I wasn' there.........

Oxford 0 - 2 Torquay

O.k so I missed it, but from what I've heard it was one of those days where every player (who stayed on the pitch) gave 110% and played out of their skin, and we got rewarded for it. I think what says it all is that if you look at the bottom of the main page, the highest number of users of this site was shortly after the final whistle on the night of that game - 2nd November. Those who were there wanted to talk about it, those who wern't wanted to find out how it went and celebrate.

And now, the - slightly off-beat - lows............

Cheltenham 1 - 1 Torquay

Someone else had this down as a high as it represented a turning point, but at the time I saw it differently. It was a relegation 6 pointer against a side struggling and out of form, and we were quite simply awful. We had Ashley Barnes half-arsed attempt of being a striker up front, Rowe-Turner and his awful positional sense at the back and the regular anonymous performance from Macklin. Nobody else came away with any real plaudits either - we had a winnable game against a rival and it seemed at the time that level of performance was all we could muster. Even the goal had a massive slice of fortune - the initial throughball to Carayol bounced off his heel as he went to control it, straight into the path of Benyon. I remarked "check out the back-heel lay off!" to my mate, as we then watched as Carayol his his now fabled triple-nutmeg goal. It was a turning point as it represented a massive change in fortune for us, but I still left there feeling pretty dejected as we looked so bad.

Northampton 0 - 0 Torquay

Now a bit of a funny one. The performance from us was great. Real gutsy and full of effort and a positive outcome for us. But then I found out that Grimsbys tough trip to Accrington and them being 2-0 at half time had turned into a 3-2 win for the Mariners. So I left feeling dejected that even though we had got a very good point, we wern't doing enough at that rate to fend off Grimsby and it wasn't enough. As it was, those fears were not realised as we only got better and better from then on, but in terms of how low I felt leaving a game that was a pretty disappointing day.
oliemarles
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by oliemarles »

Highs and Lows..... hmmm

There we're many Highs for me actually but i have whittled it down to 3 games, that i have attended!

1) Torquay 5 - 0 Rochdale
Now there was only one word to describe this game for me. Incredible. Just Incredible. I remember that day walking to Plainmoor thinking we were going to be on the end of a 5 - 0 thrashing, and i was just hoping we would score (thats how much faith i had that day!) But after Rendell scored, i had time to believe! When Carayol scored the 5th i was in amazement, best game i have ever been to!

2) Torquay 5 - 0 Darlington
Just made me realise that day, we we're alot better then our 'relegation rivals' as it was that day! That was the day i realised, we had a great chance of getting a decent finish in the league!

3) Lincoln 0 - 2 Torquay
Lincoln looked like they had a great squad and they would go far, and they also had Carayol! I went thinking, after beating Northampton 3 - 0 lets see if we can get something, and after Benyons double i realised we had a great squad, and we can go far this year! Plus the look on Carayols face when the final whistle went, priceless!

Lows......

1) Torquay 0 - 2 Grimsby
Now, that was awful. Loosing 2 - 0 to our relegation rivals, i thought that day, we could go down!

2) Torquay 2 - 3 Burton Albion
Dreadful, absolutely dreadful.

3) Torquay 2 - 3 Lincoln
'The Somma Show' he dominated us, scoring 2. Now look at him, back at Leeds being scouted by the Premiership. What a player!

So all in all, a productive and successful year. We have grown stronger in ability and League standing and i feel the future for this next year looks bright and i for one cannot wait!
Player of 2010
Elliot Benyon
Procrastination is what built this world today! Sorry, I'm dribbling on...