Player of the month went to....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Player of the month went to....

Post by diamondgirl »

Adam Le Fondre. Not sure thats right. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that he has scored 5 goals so far this season, but 4 of them were in one game :!:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

Ok. I'm replying to my own question. Le Fondre has got 5 league goals, so far this season, and 4 of them came against Cheltenham in a 6-4 win for the Millers.
Any thoughts from you guys re his award as "Player of the month" ?
Chow Mein
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Bruno Meirelles

Post by Chow Mein »

How would you know or not how whether he deserved player of the month, how many times have you seen him play this season?
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Welcome to the site, Mr Le Fondre :lol:

In my own humble opinion, it would seem that forwards and keepers are more likely to scoop awards than midfielders/defenders, purely on the grounds that it is 'easier' to assess their performances in goals, assists, clean sheets.

However, I do realise that now a statto is going to spring forward with a list of last season's winners, 9 of whom probably played in central defence...
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

Chow Mein wrote:How would you know or not how whether he deserved player of the month, how many times have you seen him play this season?

Errr None. :O
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I think it was between him and the Stanley keeper. I'm not sure it matters how many he scored in one game - 5 goals in 6? games is a decent ratio at any level. If Benners had those stats and hadn't got it, we'd have felt aggrieved.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by cosmic74 »

As Fonda has already pointed out if it was one of our players with 5 in 6 and he didn't win the award, then we would be mystified. So all in all a worthy winner.
I live for matchdays!!!!
kingsteignton gull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: chris zebroski

Post by kingsteignton gull »

consistent scorer ..would love to have him in a TUFC shirt...was knocking them in last season...fair does to him..lets just hope we continue the run after the Southend defeat and Mark or any members of TUFC try and get theMOTM award for September
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

In fairness, my gripe is exactly the same as that of Diamondgirl (hardly surprising, since she's my mother...allegedly.) 4 goals in one freak game is all well and good and I don't deny that Le Fondre is top drawer at this level (and probably the level above too) but one really good game does not a 'player of the month' make.
Le Fondre has had one exceptional game and three average games (his job is scoring goals he only scored in one match), Mark was excellent for all 4 matches.

I know it's easy to say that having seen Mark play every week, but I genuinely feel that Le Fondre has won this award based purely on one good game.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
kingsteignton gull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: chris zebroski

Post by kingsteignton gull »

agree with you Matt....but i would disagree with the 3 average games...I too wanted Ellis to win and rightly so but Le Fondre albeit a great 1 game in particular is a great striker day in day out and for August was top scorer...i really hope they really try hard to get the Sept MOTM though...
devington
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by devington »

I can't believe that no one other than Argyle actually made a bid for him before the window shut. They have done well to keep their best assets until at least January, rather like ourselves.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Nice to see you back, Dean, looking forward to that pint :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

ferrarilover wrote:In fairness, my gripe is exactly the same as that of Diamondgirl (hardly surprising, since she's my mother...allegedly.) 4 goals in one freak game is all well and good and I don't deny that Le Fondre is top drawer at this level (and probably the level above too) but one really good game does not a 'player of the month' make.
Le Fondre has had one exceptional game and three average games (his job is scoring goals he only scored in one match), Mark was excellent for all 4 matches.

I know it's easy to say that having seen Mark play every week, but I genuinely feel that Le Fondre has won this award based purely on one good game.

Matt.
It's very difficult to say that with any certainity not having seen him play at all. But even if it's accurate, there were other worthy winners too. The Stanley keeper, who plays in a team which (i hope this doesn't come back to bite me) isn't as good as ours, conceding 1 league goal? I'm not even convinced Ellis was our most worthy nominee, with Branston being a total rock beside him. These are fine margins, Mark did exceptionally well to be on the shortlist and any of those on it were deserving in their own way.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

All of the comments, on here, are pretty accurate, to be fair. It probably is a difficult decision, for the panel, to make as it's all "A matter of opinion" Certainly can't knock Le Fondre as he has been "Knocking" 'em in for a couple of seasons now. As Fonda said "These are fine margins" so good luck to Adam (Except when they play us, of course). I would imagine that come January he might be moving on.
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by cosmic74 »

diamondgirl wrote: I would imagine that come January he might be moving on.
The bright lights of Plymouth did not tempt him before deadline day, maybe he is holding out for somewhere more exotic in January :)
I live for matchdays!!!!