GAME OFF!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Firstly I feel sorry for those Yorkshire men who made the long wasted trip, that is a tough thing to handle as we all know too well.

I think to be fair the emergency services were stretched to breaking point today, what with the roads, and then the hotel going up, their resources were stretched. Surely with such bad conditions in the area it was the sensible call to make.

Big well done to those who put the effort in to clear the pitch, I hold my spade up to you in honour!

So that's another midweek home match at Plainmoor and the board better get their thinking hats on to fill that ground in those cold January and February Tuesday evenings or we could be seeing some 1500 crowds.

I am aware at least one board member reads this board, so perhaps a voucher in the boxing day and Carlisle United programmes to get a friend in for half price or similar???
millerdan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by millerdan »

Our fans are still on coach travellng back, been on there since 630 this morning stuck on the M5 for near on 9 hours, Your club have got a lot of questions to answer, expect alot of complaints coming from our end over the next couple of days.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

millerdan wrote:Our fans are still on coach travellng back, been on there since 630 this morning stuck on the M5 for near on 9 hours, Your club have got a lot of questions to answer, expect alot of complaints coming from our end over the next couple of days.
Will one of those questions be "which one of the two clubs managements was more insistant that the game didn't go ahead?", because judging from the comments of those who turned up to clear the pitch the answer might be quite close to home.

I understand that its frustrating, but we'll foot the bill for Rotherham's accodomation and travel for the rearranged game and that will be that. You can complain all you like (just like we've done at Stockport, and Mansfield) but its part of the game in winter unfortunately.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

but the evidence here points to your side making the decision dan?? the ref was happy for it to go ahead, but reports say that yr manager/coach wasnt happy with conditions expected towards the end of the game

bad news about traffic, hope you all get back safely
still keeping the faith
millerdan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by millerdan »

This is the statement that come out from our end....

Rotherham United's npower League Two game with Torquay United at Plainmoor has been postponed due to safety reasons.Rotherham United would like to state that the club were not informed that there was a pitch inspection planned, or that the game was in serious doubt until 10.30am this morning. Despite regular attempts by Rotherham United to obtain updates from Torquay United, no information at all was forthcoming. Rotherham United only found out that there was an issue with the game when the kit was dropped off at 10.30am this morning and the referee and local authorities were present at the ground to make the correct decision to call the game off.The club would like to apologies to supporters who have made the journey down to Torquay

Our team only found out at 1030?? now thats poor
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

millerdan wrote:This is the statement that come out from our end....

Rotherham United's npower League Two game with Torquay United at Plainmoor has been postponed due to safety reasons.Rotherham United would like to state that the club were not informed that there was a pitch inspection planned, or that the game was in serious doubt until 10.30am this morning. Despite regular attempts by Rotherham United to obtain updates from Torquay United, no information at all was forthcoming. Rotherham United only found out that there was an issue with the game when the kit was dropped off at 10.30am this morning and the referee and local authorities were present at the ground to make the correct decision to call the game off.The club would like to apologies to supporters who have made the journey down to Torquay

Our team only found out at 1030?? now thats poor

I agree, for a club of Rotherham's size to be so dis-organised before traveling to their longest away game of the season is a joke. You are right to be annoyed, especially considering the Rotherham United management and team arrived on Friday. What on earth were they doing? Surely they got in touch throughout the period.

For goodness sake, two of your supporters manage to get to the ground at 9am, but the first official contact from the club is 10.30am. That is pathetic, especially considering the club claim they were trying to get in touch. Then your manager turns up and cancels the match.

I am sure that Rotherham United will be only to happy to compensate you for your travel costs, but the main thing at the moment is that you all get home ok

I think you have some serious questions to ask at your next club forum
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

For clubs that have no cash reserves this weather is a real nightmare.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Don't see how we can be blamed, personally. We wanted the game on, the ref was happy, Mr Moore and co didn't.

Not our fault, but it seems a damn strange decision as they were already here, and now they've got to do the journey again on a cold Tuesday night.

As said earlier in the thread, hopefully Le Fondre will leave in January so we don't have to face him.
oliemarles
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by oliemarles »

Blame us? Well if you went on the Torquay Website of Friday you would understand the predicament, and the fact the weather changed over night, how could we stop that?

This is coming from someone who witnessed your Manager talk to the referee and after their little conversation he called it off.

Im still trying to find out how this is our fault? We tried our best to get the game on.

I am sure your club will be more than happy to compensate your travel costs!
Procrastination is what built this world today! Sorry, I'm dribbling on...
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

My understanding was the Ref called it after being notified by the Old Bill. Yeah, I saw the Rotherham management weren t enthusiastic, but I kept on snow clearing until I looked over at Aussie and he shook his head. After that I wasn t interested in the politics of the situation, I was off looking for my brooms and shovel.
I was one of the last ones to have a bacon roll and for those who had already gone home, there were steak and kidney pies to be had after the bacon ran out. :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Firstly the Rotherham manager does not have the power to call this game off,nor does any manager at any game,they can voice there concerns,it is down to the referee and football league,it would appear that this was called on police advice.

Torquay united are in no way to blame for this game being called off,yes snow was forcast however it is very difficult for any forcaster to pin point were and how much,i work n/shift and saw the snow fall about 02.30 saturday morning where about 4+inch's fell in less than 1 hour,i had a feeling the would be off,confirmed when i tried to walk across the car park at 0600 and found it very difficult,who could have predicted we would have been by that much snow in one fall,that has not happened down here for years.

As said above Rotherham do have to take a look at themselves,if the Rotherham management team where down here friday how could they not know,and one quick look at our O/S would have told any one there might be a problem.

Unlike the burton game TUFC could not have called this off 24hrs ahead,as with this game there was no way of predicting the final weather outcome.
Formerly known as forevertufc
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

millerdan wrote:Our fans are still on coach travellng back, been on there since 630 this morning stuck on the M5 for near on 9 hours, Your club have got a lot of questions to answer, expect alot of complaints coming from our end over the next couple of days.
Roth fans were calling radio Sheffield whinging :'( about the match being called off and how Torquay United were a disgrace. This is a club that hasn't even got its own ground :Oops: , have been in admin. twice and come to Hillsboro with the begging buckets only to slag us off constantly on their sites :evil: !
They can try and blame who they like, but ultimately the ref. calls the match off, and its not as if they're the only ones its ever happened to, Gulls in the ground at Mansfield on a Tuesday night a couple of years ago and at Carlisle (one of the longest trips in England!) a couple of years before that! :red:

Whining gets
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It's so cold outside, there is a penguin in my fridge trying to keep warm. The whole country is snowed in. Airports are closed. Trains aren't running. Motorways have become carparks. Entire cities are bought to a standstill. News agencies the world over are carrying nothing but reports of extreme weather in England. Matches at some of the most advanced sports stadia on the planet, stadia worth billions of pounds, called off, and Rotherham FC didn't have the first clue that there might be a chance the game might not take place at Plainmoor. All this with club representatives in a hotel no more than 5 miles down the road. Pull the other one you lot, it's got a whippet attached. Idiots.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

ferrarilover wrote:It's so cold outside, there is a penguin in my fridge trying to keep warm. The whole country is snowed in. Airports are closed. Trains aren't running. Motorways have become carparks. Entire cities are bought to a standstill. News agencies the world over are carrying nothing but reports of extreme weather in England. Matches at some of the most advanced sports stadia on the planet, stadia worth billions of pounds, called off, and Rotherham FC didn't have the first clue that there might be a chance the game might not take place at Plainmoor. All this with club representatives in a hotel no more than 5 miles down the road. Pull the other one you lot, it's got a whippet attached. Idiots.

Matt.
Is there a 'post of the year' contest?
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

yellowforever wrote: Is there a 'post of the year' contest?
for god sake yellowforever, you will have set him off on another quest....:lol:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468