GAME OFF!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
kbgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

GAME OFF!

Post by kbgull »

Game postponed guys and girls
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

:'(
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Thought it would be, the pitch maybe fine but supporters need to get there!
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

Just got home from snow shifting and the pitch was defiantly playable and the snow would have been cleared before kick off after the bits in the shade(about 30%) was cleared after only and hour. There was about 40-50 people including the youth team and a couple of away supporters. The ref and groundsman were happy with the stadium and pitch, but it was the surrounding area what caused the problem. The game was declared on, until the away manager and coach advised it to be off! Bucks and north turned up, but no luck. Will the boxing day game be on? thats the question.
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

A massive thank you to everyone who tried to make it happen. Que sera sera, it just wasn't meant to be
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Ditto the above, you took the time the effort and the away manager, coach called it off? Did it have anything to do with the weather?
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

They were concerned about how the pitch would get after about 4-30, the ref was happy for it to be on, but it was around the ground and the pavements etc... The conditions are improving and Westhill road is getting clearer and clearer, I think they should have delayed the inspection and the game would have been on...
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

BlueYellow wrote:Just got home from snow shifting and the pitch was defiantly playable and the snow would have been cleared before kick off after the bits in the shade(about 30%) was cleared after only and hour. There was about 40-50 people including the youth team and a couple of away supporters. The ref and groundsman were happy with the stadium and pitch, but it was the surrounding area what caused the problem. The game was declared on, until the away manager and coach advised it to be off! Bucks and north turned up, but no luck. Will the boxing day game be on? thats the question.

same as above really, Rotherham really didnt want to play the game, i see the game up at Exeter is still on, maybe more of an effort should have been made on the surrounding area first once we knew the pitch was good under the snow
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Same as what BlueYellow says. We used sheets of old advertisement board to clear the snow and were making a good fist of it until the Ref called it off at 10.15.am

We got a drink of hot chocolate out of it and after the Ref called it we all had a drink of tea and a bacon roll. :clap:

The two Rotherham supporters put in a good shift aswell. At least they have a sunny English Riviera day as compensation.

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
oliemarles
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by oliemarles »

Yeah brilliant effort today lads, fantastic. we did as much as we can to get the game on, but at the end of the day 'elf and safety always prevaile!

The Referee seemed like a top guy and he wanted the game to be on, but after speaking to the Rotherham lot (whos manager was a decent guy too) he called it off..

Ahh well got free food and drink what more do you want? (apart from the game ofcource)
Procrastination is what built this world today! Sorry, I'm dribbling on...
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

BlueYellow wrote: The game was declared on, until the away manager and coach advised it to be off!!
Bloody chuckle brothers!! :)

Think it was a good call for the game to be off, the side roads around Torquay are horrible for traveling. Bit gutted the game is off though.
Mendipgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Mendipgull »

Hopefully they'll have sold LeFondre by the time we play the rearranged fixture.
I grassed on Waller.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

What a day it's been. First there was a plume of smoke that could be seen coming from the otherside of Waldon Hill. Later I find out it's the derelict Palm Court Hotel gone up in flames.

Next comes the fruitless snow clearing exercise at Plainmoor followed by gritting the hill near my home after cars were skewed across it. Yeah, used my own sand from my retaining wall project because effin USAT (Unitary Status Authority Torbay) failed in their duty to grit a one in four hill on a well known backrun through Ellacombe. :red:

Have just come in from playing Lux taffic lights/policeman directing drivers away from the slippery conditions. I'm knackered, I'm hungry and haven't even seen the football results. :@

Good thing is I'm gonna murder at least a gallon of ale tonight. See you all tomorrow. :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Is anybody else watching Ipswich vs Leicester on Sky at the moment?

About a half-inch of snow has fallen during the game alone. You can no longer see any of the lines on the pitch, yet they managed to reach half time (whether they finish is another matter).

Anyway, I can't imagine that our pitch was any worse than what I'm seeing now, and we were able to get it cleared. Is this Ipswich game still on because its a Sky game? Or is this setting a precedent that games are getting called off all too easily these days?

EDIT - Now currently undergoing a 15minute break for pitch clearing in the second half, having already extended half time by 5 mins to facilitate clearing the snow. The writing is on the wall for this game, and with Ipswich 3-0 I don't think old Keano will be too happy!
Last edited by Jeff on 18 Dec 2010, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

i left home before the game was called off, and i only realised it was off when i was sat at boots and laces at 2.00 thinking this is quiet. then i was gutted to find it was off. then back to newton abbot i go. and honestly by 12.00 the paths were fine, slight dusting of snow but nothing major, if the inspection was later on it would have been on 100%.