Paul Trollope - Sacked by Rovers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Paul Trollope - Sacked by Rovers

Post by taunton_gull »

Former Torquay man Trollope has been sacked by Bristol Rovers. Rovers are currently in the drop zone in league 1 and were dumped out of the JP Trophy by E**ter last night. Have to feel a bit sorry for him as he has always seemed a decent chap and overall has done a good job considering they were a bottom half league 2 side when he took over. My main concern is if Rovers are looking for an up and coming manager to turn their fortunes around PB could be the ideal man. I dare say this is the kind of job he has been waiting for, the chance to move up a level with a bigger club and budget. I think our season could hinge on the Carlisle game, failure to reach the 4th round of the cup will no doubt increase the chance of an exodus of players in January including possibly our manager! Let's hope this doesn't happen!
The original taunton_gull!!!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

If that scenario did play itself out, what price on Trollope coming to us? We could do a lot worse that's for sure!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 289644.stm

Inevitably, Paul Buckle will be linked to the vacant post. Any managerial vacancy that occurs at a club in the two Divisions higher than us will have Bucks linked to it. Most of it will/would be media speculation designed to further serve the said media interest.

My own thoughts suggest Paul Buckle is here for the long haul, at least to the completion of the original 5 year plan. He may well stay beyond that and ensure we become an established League One side consistently pushing for the League One playoffs. First things first though, we must become an established League Two side. I ll take promotion to League One this season, by whatever means, right now even if it means a season of struggle in the next.

What some may have forgotten or overlooked is Torquay United is Paul Buckle s baby, his ongoing project started from scratch, his first managerial role in it s own right and the first stepping stone possibly to greater things. When I state HIS, I mean OUR his, that s to say Bucks is fully aware that the rise of the club from the wreckage of previous regimes is the sum total of the efforts of ALL OF US : Board (Mr Bristow especially, thank you Sir), management/coaching/playing staff, behind the scenes and front of house Plainmoor staff and volunteers and trailing in last, but by no means least, us the supporters including exiles and well-wishers from all parts of South Devon.

Well-wishers are always important in creating a feel good factor of goodwill in the wider community. Now can some of you do your best to attend some games in the shortly to arrive SEASON OF GOODWILL and bring the family and friends aswell.

Paul Buckle in my book is doing his best within the resources available and I don t see him moving anytime soon, especially sideways (even though his players move the ball many times sidesways instead of forward on the deck to feet). Some rule out Bucks as a potential manager of a Premier outfit. Um ? Weren t we a Premier outfit until Paul Buckle brought us back to the promised land ?
Bucks certainly has the potential of going to a Premiership club as Youth Coach.

It s sad to hear of Paul Trollope s dismissal, especially being a former TUFC player who served us well.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I hear what you're saying Trojan but it seems those who want to progress in the game cash in when their stock is high. Can you honestly see us making it into league 1 let alone challenging for the playoffs?! I certainly can't. Despite the excellent progress the club has made on the field this season it is still not enough to attract anymore than 2,000 through the gates week in, week out. As I mentioned in my initial post it's my opinion that only a win in the cup and a big draw in the next round will prevent us from selling our prized assets come January - and where will that leave us? There's a very strong possibility that the likes of Benyon, Ellis, O'Kane and possibly a few more will go in the new year and by that stage we can only hope we will have accumulated enough points to maintain a respectable position in the league.

With the perilous position the club has been in finiancially for the past couple of years we certainly won't be able to instantly replace players of that quality, nor do we have the time as we did in the conference to bring players through and develop them as we did with Benyon because we need people who can step up to the mark and play league football straight away. (Which is why we have seen the likes of Ashley Hemmings and co come here from further up the ladder) I'm not doubting Buck's commitment to the cause for a minute, but what I am saying is that the right opportunity will come along at some point and I think a job like Bristol Rovers would suit both parties. (It certainly wouldn't be a sideways move)

You can't pull rabbits out of the hat forever, Bucks has proved what a quality manager he has been by regaining our league status and putting us in a position to challenge for the playoffs. By going to a team like Rovers he would have the opportunity to test his skills at a higher level with a club and infrastructure much greater than ours. He has been loyal in the past when Colchester came calling but I think that continually working with a restricted budget will only mean he is likely to leave sooner rather than later. Who knows - if we make a bad start to the new year and begin to struggle he may not get a second chance.
The original taunton_gull!!!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Have taken onboard and understand your point of view Taunton Gull and I m sure posters will see something in both our posts to add further comment.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

I think Rovers will definitely come calling! Let's ask Big Sam if he fancies it?
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I think it could be between Bucks and Tisdale and if I am honest and I suspect Tisdale will be their number 1 target and Buckle next if they don t persuade him.

The fact that PB looks like he will have to sell assists in January would make me more likely to follow Trojan way of thinking than taunton_gull's.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I would be very suprised if offered the job Paul Buckle went to Bristol Rovers,any league 2 manager with ambition would be tempted by a higher division club granted,however with Bristol Rovers the best any manager could achieve is stability and retain there league 1 status,as a club i seriously doubt Bristol Rovers have the infustructure to ever mount a promotion a bid to become a championship club.

If a league 1 club along the lines of Charlton etc came calling i could see a different outcome,looking at the work in general that PB done recently,including the time Paul Buckle has put into our centre of exellence i personaly think he is here for the long haul,and it would take a much bigger club than Bristol Rovers to prize him away.

As for players leaving,i think i heard in a number of recent interviews Paul Buckle state time and time again he is under no pressure to sell players,and iam led to believe that a number of sub 100k bids have been turned down for our players which again shows as a club we are not desperate to sell.

Tufc has anumber of very good young player and of course there will be intrest,and should bids of a certain figure be placed there is no doubt the club will sell,i am also under no doubt that any player sold will be replaced.

So here is hoping come Febuary Paul Buckle and the majority of the squad will still be here.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

As soon as I saw he'd been sacked I thought that PB would be in the running, as said tisdale would be more of the 1st choice but if buckle did go I believe he'd at least try and take Wroe, benyon and Ellis with him.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yellow4life wrote:As soon as I saw he'd been sacked I thought that PB would be in the running, as said tisdale would be more of the 1st choice but if buckle did go I believe he'd at least try and take Wroe, benyon and Ellis with him.
Unwittingly, the filth could well have cost us an absolutely immesurable amount. What a cunch of bunts.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I looked through the thread and got to "c*nch of bunts" and didn't get it.
Now I do. :Oops:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

i thought yesterday that all this talk of Buckle and Tisdale was totaly premture,and reading through the Bristol Rovers fans forum seems to bear this out,where many names are being mentioned.

And yes Buckle and tisdale's names are no where to be seen,not one single mention from any one on that forum,here is a link to one thread.

http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?/t ... okie-odds/
Formerly known as forevertufc
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

With the sort of club Rovers are, I fully expect them to go for a local boy with local knowledge.

I really cannot see someone like Tisdale fitting in with a VERY working class club playing in a poor part of Bristol in a terrible ground, with an even worse pitch. Whatever we may say about Exeter publicly, deep down we all know what a superb job Tisdale has done in getting the ball on the ground at St James Park for the first time in 50 years!

It is too big a job for Buckle at the moment, I do not think Rovers would consider him.

My guess would be someone like Gerriant Williams, who captained Rovers for years or even someone like Mark Cooper, who is obviously local.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

People keep mentioning Tisdale, I can't imagine for one moment he would be remotley interested in that job
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Trojan 67 wrote:I looked through the thread and got to "c*nch of bunts" and didn't get it.
Now I do. :Oops:
I'm a big fan of the Spoonerism. Worlds earliest recorded Spoonerism joke, well, I'll save you the horror of reading the whole thing and mention merely that it was with reference to a family who lived next door to an elderly fellow who went by the name of Milt Spilk.

Meanwhile, back on the topic, hope PB stays, think Titsdale will be asked and will reject it out of hand, it's a sideways move at best and not worth the upheval (VERY late for school, will edit spelling later.)

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"