home tie to carlisle then

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

home tie to carlisle then

Post by clemy1989 »

So weve drawn Carlisle gutted meaningful waste of time were my first thought. But as i like to look on the positive side it is a chance to beat them hopefully get a decent round 4 tie against 1 of the big boys which could in turn help entice some players our way and keep some players with the prospect of playing a top side in round 4.

what are your thoughts?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

They're probably even more disappointed than us, to be fair. Nightmare trip for them, just a relief that it's at home. And hey, it's winnable.

I especially like Mansell's and Gritton's response on twitter.

Gritton: Anticlimax.
Mansell: I hate Noel gallagher the stupid idiot fancy picking Liverpool man utd out the dick!!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

You do make a good point it would be even worse going up there, slightly fancy us to win due to the journey but then if they travel the day before then it shouldn't really be to much of an excuse good nights sleep should get it out of there system. o well lets hope we get through again
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

all that waiting right til the last tie, all those glamourous fixtures passing us by, was convinced it was gonna be orient or droylseden away, so the only crumb of comfort is that we're at home and they've got to drag all that way down the country.

not a chance of being televised, so we'll just have to win it and hope for something more juicy in the 4th round?
still keeping the faith
Chow Mein
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Bruno Meirelles

Post by Chow Mein »

Absolute bore draw that is, possibly the longest distance between clubs in the whole of the Football league, so they must be gutted.

Not surprised with the anti-climax as everytime we have high hopes for a good team it always let's us down.....I mean we'll probably beat them & then have another boring team like Preston away in the 4th.

Bring them on though, last week they lost to Walsall of all teams 2-1!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Well I'm not going to hide the fact I'm a little disappointed, but I suppose if you don't get a big club, the next best thing is a winnable home time.

Although Carlisle are doing o.k in League 1, they won't fancy coming down to us. Only won twice in the league away from home, seem to keep it reasonably tight (scored 10 conceded 9 from 8 games) so will perhaps come with a more negative attitude and we have a good cup pedigree at the moment. We're progressing slightly under the radar, which is great - more often than not the teams who get the big draws seem to be the side you forget are still in the cup. A run of Mansfield away, Walsall at home and (hopefully) Carlisle home will be a pretty nondescript run which could see us rewarded.

Got to try and put a positive spin on things!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Yes, we must see it as a positive otherwise we might as well give Carlisle a bye!

Its up to us supporters to urge the team on into round 4 and a match against Arsenal Chelsea Man U or L'pool.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

That is the biggest disappointment since, erm, last year when we shafted for the umpteenth time by the fricking FA Cup.

We've punched above our weight in this competition for years but are constantly screwed by the damn third-round draw. So much promise, build-up and excitement and we're 'rewarded' with a home tie against bloody Carlisle. The only thing worst than being drawn at home to Carlisle is away to Carlisle. Carlisle! Bloody Carlisle! There goes out TV money. There goes our bumper attendance. We'll struggle to break the 2,000 barrier. Who the hell wants to travel 900 miles to visit Plainmoor in the middle of the winter? I wouldn't blame someone if they didn't want to to travel from Springfield Road.

I was like a kid at Christmas today and this is a bigger let-down than when I was given a Brut deodorant set at 16 after I'd asked Santa for a widescreen telly. I paced up and down like an expecting father as Noel 'I'm not as talented as my brother' Gallagher and some tramp who was born in Newton Abbot but supports Leicester drew out the balls. And the worst thing was that we were left until the very end, giving us false hope that we were about to land a plum tie against Man Utd or Liverpool. Then the predictable happened and we get stuck with one of the most unattractive teams in the pot.

"What a tie," Noel beams after picking out Liverpool to face Man Utd. No it's not you bum. It's the same crap that the FA Cup dishes out most years. ITV's big-wigs will be rubbing their hands together. As for Dirty Leeds. Not content with being drawn at Old Trafford and White Hart Lane last season, now they get to enjoy at day out at the Emirates. Dirty, filthy Leeds. I live in Leeds. And I hate Leeds.

I hate the FA Cup. Magic? What magic? I have more magic in my little finger than the FA Cup. Ask Dover if they think Huddersfield away is magic. You can argue that we've been handed a winnable tie. But even if we reach the fourth round we'll be given another damp home draw against someone like Coventry. Oh hang on a second...
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

disappointed like most, but a winnable game, and as posters have said, they wont fancy it much.

if we are on song then round 4 beckons. then we can have our big prem team home or away! :-D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tommyg wrote:That is the biggest disappointment since, erm, last year when we shafted for the umpteenth time by the fricking FA Cup.

We've punched above our weight in this competition for years but are constantly screwed by the damn third-round draw. So much promise, build-up and excitement and we're 'rewarded' with a home tie against bloody Carlisle. The only thing worst than being drawn at home to Carlisle is away to Carlisle. Carlisle! Bloody Carlisle! There goes out TV money. There goes our bumper attendance. We'll struggle to break the 2,000 barrier. Who the hell wants to travel 900 miles to visit Plainmoor in the middle of the winter? I wouldn't blame someone if they didn't want to to travel from Springfield Road.

I was like a kid at Christmas today and this is a bigger let-down than when I was given a Brut deodorant set at 16 after I'd asked Santa for a widescreen telly. I paced up and down like an expecting father as Noel 'I'm not as talented as my brother' Gallagher and some tramp who was born in Newton Abbot but supports Leicester drew out the balls. And the worst thing was that we were left until the very end, giving us false hope that we were about to land a plum tie against Man Utd or Liverpool. Then the predictable happened and we get stuck with one of the most unattractive teams in the pot.

"What a tie," Noel beams after picking out Liverpool to face Man Utd. No it's not you bum. It's the same crap that the FA Cup dishes out most years. ITV's big-wigs will be rubbing their hands together. As for Dirty Leeds. Not content with being drawn at Old Trafford and White Hart Lane last season, now they get to enjoy at day out at the Emirates. Dirty, filthy Leeds. I live in Leeds. And I hate Leeds.
I hate the FA Cup. Magic? What magic? I have more magic in my little finger than the FA Cup. Ask Dover if they think Huddersfield away is magic. You can argue that we've been handed a winnable tie. But even if we reach the fourth round we'll be given another damp home draw against someone like Coventry. Oh hang on a second...
made i larf that mate.

i only live near leeds, and i hate it/them too! :lol:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by cosmic74 »

It's a home draw, and a fair chance of progression to the fourth round.........nuff said.
I live for matchdays!!!!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

No problem !
I can't believe that Wayne will be able to hold out against eleven, he's no good in goal in any case. :ball1: :ball1: :)
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

complete list of our fa cup exploits here

http://www.gloucestergulls.co.uk/fachist.html

proof positive that the last time we had an interesting draw in "the most famous cup competition in the world" was in 1965!!

i guess west ham in 1990 was a biggy, and i remember the trip to sheff weds the year before that, altho it says sheff utd here?
still keeping the faith
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Tynan

Post by sadlad »

Tell me....

Who do you want in Round 4?

:)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The same as I wanted this round, sadlad! ;-)